Field Day Ideas?!

Discussion in 'P.E. Teachers' started by CDOR79, May 25, 2010.

1. CDOR79

CDOR79 Comrade

May 25, 2010

Hi everyone!

I have been asked by my principal to organize Field Day for my elementary school. I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas to share...ideas for the activities themselves or anything else. It'll be for grades 1-7 and the school will be doing it together at the same time outside in our lot.

Thanks in advance!

:)

3. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

May 25, 2010

The favorite at my school is tug of war...the teachers even have a round and all the students watch.

Other than that they do a javelin sp? throw with like fun noodle type things, three legged races, lap races, etc.

4. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

May 26, 2010

You don't have a P.E. Coach?! In our area the P.E. coach and/or his/her aide are in charge of field day! Granted there may be some other things that some teachers add. For example one school did a maypole dance and a Zumba class(one of the teachers is a licenced instructor). Google Zumba if you don't know what it is. If you want to find someone who is licenced to come do it. The cost for Zumba is usually $5 for 1hr of a class. So the Zumba instructor could offer one hr per class and have each student who wants to do it pay the $5. and if they don't then let them do something else for that hr.

Ideas:
    Zumba (read above)
    Tug of war
    Obstical corse
    slip and slide
    inflatables(water or jumping)
    Jump rope contest(who can jump the longest without messing up)
    Holahooping contest
    Limbo games

5. spalding

spalding Rookie

Feb 22, 2011

CDOR79,
    Elementary teacher for 14 years here and have seen many field days. Easy one is as follows.
    set up two cones for students to line up in front of for the following events:
    Relay race
    three legged race
    Ball and spoon
    Team over under
    water relay
    tug of war
    marathon boys then girls
    ask if buildings and grounds can come a day or two in advance to line a 50ydx 25yd field with a series of lanes that you can number later with spray paint.
    Tell the students All the boys or all the girls that want to participate in the (ball and spoon or whatever event is next) to line up at the two cones. (any pushing disqualifies them from the even) give them a number and top two or three move on tho the champion round for a 5th through 1st place ribbon.
    repeat this for boys then girls for each event.
    The marathon is great because they only have to finish in order to get a participation ribbon.
    tug of war is class vs. class and gets a little dangerous sometimes i tend to stear clear of it myself opting for the water relay as the grand finale. any questions dont hesitate to ask.

6. CDOR79

CDOR79 Comrade

Mar 8, 2011

Some great ideas! Thanks very much!

By the way- I am the P.E. teacher.

Thanks!

7. Pacificpastime

Pacificpastime Companion

Mar 31, 2011

A few years back we did a totally water-themed field day. Nearly every event had some water involved. We had to send home notes several weeks and days in advance to let parents know their kids will most likely be very wet. We also encouraged them pick their kids up from school if at all possible.
    Events we did included slip n slide (there is a fire hydrant near field we use, and fire department hooked it up for us), water balloon toss, sponge relays, dunk tank (students hit target in order to dunk teacher or principal), obstacle course with sprinklers and other water elements (i.e. small pool), "drip, drip, splash" (a variance of duck duck goose; take a wet sponge and little "drips" [slight squeeze] are "duck" part, with "splash" [big squeeze] being "goose" part, kids love this one, and finally a small pool filled with marbles and water with kids taking turns getting taking marbles out of the pool.
    We have done a water theme ever since we did it several years ago. This years we are going to incorporate some "minute to win it" games since they are shorter, and a lot of fun.
    Have a great field day!

8. cmw

cmw Groupie

Mar 31, 2011

I was on the field day committee at my old school & our PE teacher was amazing. (We were in a building of 600 4th & 5th graders). I have a list of events in addition to info sent to teachers & a schedule. If you want to PM me with your email I'll send the docs to you. :D

9. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Apr 1, 2011

Many years ago the school I work at half the time started the mini-olympics. They would teach them about the Olympics and have each class do four events until they found the top four kids in each grade. Then they would invite another local school to have the competition.
    My problem was it was too spectator oriented. They had medals and all that. I started a field day/track meet event about 20 years ago.
    I have about 12 events with four competing groups (in my k-5 school)
    8-9 girls and 10-11 girls and the same with boys. It was for grades 2-5. We would have some 7 years olds in 2nd some 12 year olds in 5th but they participated. I would have a short run (60 meters) ,
    the 200 meters, the 400 meters and 800 meters. Then a basketball shooting event, soccer dribble event. football throwing event. jumping rope event and the shot put. Kids could sign up for five events. Then after lunch a tug of war and bike race. I have even had a hurdle race from hurdles I made from PVC. I give out 1st 2nd a 3rd place ribbons.
    For k-1st we did some fun relays and tug of war. This year I added the 500 meter run (they run a 1/4 mile in PE each day),
    The kids that win 1st or 2nd go on to the county field day for that event. We have five elem. schools and they all come to this event.
    So I run 3 separate field days. One at each of my schools and then the county one. Just did two before Spring Break and now Friday I host the county meet. My kids love it.

10. CDOR79

CDOR79 Comrade

Apr 2, 2011

That would be wonderful, CMW and I would greatly appreciate it!! Going to PM you now :)

11. CDOR79

CDOR79 Comrade

May 2, 2011

Ok, so the date has been decided and we're going to have different stations with games for the kids to play. Those stations include a DJ (to dance), an inflatable obstacle course and a sand art station. The others will be games.

Now the thing is, my principal asked me this morning about option B in case it rains! We don't really have a "gym"...we have a small all purpose room that is the lunch room and a room we use for assemblys. It has a low ceiling too. Other than the DJ and the sand art, I can't think of what else to have in there that will be enough room. We obviously will only be able to have one or 2 grades at a time too.

Unfortuntalely, we can't plan another day for everything to be outside because of our schedule. Any ideas/suggestions for indoors? :confused:

Thanks!

12. cmw

cmw Groupie

May 2, 2011

We had 2 years of rain on field day & here are some of the things we did...
    *We used the library for puzzles (students worked in teams & competed)
    * Musical chairs in the music room
    * Hippity Hop races down the hallways

Other ideas...
    *spoon relay race (egg on spoon down the hall)
    *clothing game (have teams compete against each other to put hats & gloves & stuff on a team member)
    *gameshow (like Jeopardy/ Are You smarter than a Fifth Grader)
    *balloon pass (students have to pass a balloon over & under down a line)
    *Specer Kagan has a book of games that may also be helpful

:D

13. CDOR79

CDOR79 Comrade

May 3, 2011

Thanks so much! Awesome ideas! :)