Field day help!!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by MissNewTeach161, May 30, 2009.

1. MissNewTeach161

MissNewTeach161 Rookie

May 30, 2009

Hi!! this is my first year teaching and found out that my third grade class does not have field day! I was shocked! So me and this other new teacher want to set it up , I know we need different games but how does it work? Like where are all the teachers and are there a lot of games going on all at once? Please if you have experience I would appreciate it and would like to know how you run it !Thanks so much

3. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

May 30, 2009

We just had one for two of our grade levels. We were each with our own class the whole time and rotated through 7 different activities. We were at each one for 20 minutes. If you don't have a field day, I would think you can set it up however you want to. If you have a lot of volunteers or paras that can come in, you can set someone up to run each activity.

4. MissNewTeach161

MissNewTeach161 Rookie

May 30, 2009

5. frogger

frogger Devotee

May 30, 2009

yeah our school has it set up with rotations among the groups from K-5th. If you don't have it, you probably have some leeway on what you want to do with the 3rd graders, etc.

6. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

May 30, 2009

Our PTA is doing this year but in past years we have done it with 2 grade levels. Each teacher has an activity, we rotated through about every 15 minutes. Activities with water are always fun and they love to play beachball volleyball. Have fun!!!

7. MissNewTeach161

MissNewTeach161 Rookie

May 30, 2009

thanks eveyrone yeah I'm guessing we need to talk to the other third grade teachers and maybe well run them like centers LOL there's 6 teachers hopfully they'll be ok with it !:)
    Now say they didn't want to do it , what other way can me and the other teacher run it

8. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

May 30, 2009

Are you serious? They don't want to participate?
    that's ok; you and the other teacher can successfully run it.
    Do you want to include parents to help out?
    How many students are there?
    How long do you plan to "host" field day.
    Are you wanting to have some type of little awards for the winners? or just some good ole fun? :)

9. SaraFirst

SaraFirst Cohort

May 30, 2009

Our gym teacher is in charge (teachers help supervise). She does 3-5 in the a.m. and K-2 in the afternoon. The grades take turns on each event (oldest first to model). Events include: tug of war, shoe kick, relay with a ball in a traffic cone. There are some of others I'm forgetting. These can be played indoors too, in case of rain.

10. MissSkippyjonJones

MissSkippyjonJones Comrade

May 30, 2009

Our 4th grade team is doing our own field day/end of the year celebration....To keep it simple we are having a picnic with either their school lunches or sack lunches from home out on the playground, letting them sign memory books, and then doing a few activities as a big group (water balloon toss, water bucket relay race, etc.).

11. MissNewTeach161

MissNewTeach161 Rookie

Jun 1, 2009

Lets see well I do not know yet, but when I did mention it, there wasn't much enthusiasm. But oh well! Yeah we were thinking of bringing heir own lunch and im making a list of fun games for the day. Anyone have any great ideas for games or activites. I was thinking of having it a whole day thing. What do you think? Would that be too much. I remember when I had field day it was great! all day fun and games.

12. kacieann

kacieann Companion

Jun 1, 2009

We have our field day in the afternoon. I think all day would be too much for my 3rd graders.

13. tgim

tgim Habitué

Jun 1, 2009

We do ours all day, with a staff vs. 5th grade softball game in the a.m., then a rotation through 5-6 games/stations and lunch outside together. We end with a huge tug-of-war in the gym where all grades and staff members participate...then we have DQ bars! The games are: kickball, drop the beanbag/hankie, steal the bacon, relay races and bean bag games, 2-square, sack races...probably something else...cannot remember anything, though. I do know that each grade may have some different games, too. Have fun! Let them bring a water bottle and wear a hat...it is a great way to practice sportsmanship!

14. alschoolteacher

alschoolteacher Companion

Jun 1, 2009

We have an all day field day (well after Mass, so 10:00-3:00) and it is K-4. 5-8 has theirs on a separate day. We have a schedule to follow and each teacher stays with her class. We also have parent volunteers to help with potty breaks and setting up snacks. Our games are: 3 legged race, potato sack race, tug-of-war, hurdles, ski walkers, soccer dribble relay race, water balloon toss, water balloon between the knees race, hippity hop race, 20 meter (?) dash, hoola hoop relay, water bucket relay, balloon sling shot. Our Priest also drives the tractor with a trailer around for whole classes to ride. We go to 3 events (some are two events at one stop), then have a water break. So the schedule would be 3 events, water, 3 events, lunch, 3 events, water, 3 events, water/end. The kids wear their swimsuits under their clothes and bring a towel. It is a lot of fun!

15. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jun 1, 2009

Our field day is awesome! Our gym teachers are in charge. We take our whole group of 90 kids through the stations. There is always three or four activities for them to do at each station. They also raised money to buy some inflatables like you would see at a carnival. Those only come out on field day. There are also tricylce races, three legged race, parachutes, and about 20 other activities. At the end of the day the entire grade level meets in the gym for a pie eating contest (one student per team), a pie in the face to the teacher who got the most money (students buy tickets at lunch and put their ticket in the bin for the teacher they choose, if their name is pulled they get to toss the pie.). And the culminating activity is a tug of war. The classes are arranged in brackets like for sports teams. The teams play until the final three teams win the grand prize (bronze, silver, and gold painted tennis shoes). It's a great day!

16. MissNewTeach161

MissNewTeach161 Rookie

Jun 1, 2009

:eek: that sounds like so much fun !!! Aww that would be nice if my school would do something like that

17. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Jun 2, 2009

My field day is sort of like a qualifier for our county field day (which is more like a track and field meet). I have kids in 8-9 compete with each other and 10-11 compete, boys and girls separate. I have about 11 events, five running and 5 field events with a bike race at the end. We do the 80 yd dash, he 200 run, 400 run 800 run and sometimes the mile. Then a football throw, jumprope for a minute, basketball shoot, soccer dribble through cones and the shot put. All my kids can pick five events to compete in. I give ribbons for 1st 2nd and 3rd. The mile and bike race have 5 ribbon places. Kids that get first or second go to the county field day (which I host also). Done it for 20 years+ and kids love it.................

18. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jun 2, 2009

It's a blast! I forgot one of the best parts. A teacher from each team goes into the DUNK TANK! A teacher on my team likes going in, so I get out of it. The kids LOVE it!

19. MissNewTeach161

MissNewTeach161 Rookie

Jun 2, 2009

Aww I would love to do that !!

20. NJArt

NJArt Comrade

Jun 3, 2009

we just had an all day field day for prek - 6th grade. each of our grades have four classes. two parent volunteers were at each station to calculate teh results. two were the red team, two blue. they wore that color shirt for the day. There were 18 events set up for them and the kids rotated through them throughout the day...
    There was a 10 minute time limit on the scoreboard, and when the horn blew it was time to move to the next station. It worked out great.

some of the stations were hula hoooping, throwing a frisbee through a hanging hoop, bean bag toss, toss a circle around a peg, long jump, relay races, three legged race, potato sack race, throw a football through a suspended hoop, parachute (just for fun, no points there), tug of war, and more.

21. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Jun 3, 2009

we had ours today! 15 different stations 10 minutes a time. Some they really enjoyed was a popsicle stop, water stop, limbo, hockey with the swimming noodles hitting a beach ball, parachute, of course the wet sponge. It rained in the afternoon so the upper grades only got to 3 stations. Tired and sunburned.