Field Day - Do you have one?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Pacificpastime, Mar 22, 2011.

1. Pacificpastime

Pacificpastime Companion

Mar 22, 2011

We do and admin. was considering cutting it. Thankfully the teachers fought to keep it. Does anyone else have a field day? Has it been taken away? I spoke out for it greatly. I know field day is a big day for the kids and am very glad it is not being scrapped.

3. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Mar 22, 2011

In my district fourth and fifth graders have Field Day.

4. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Mar 22, 2011

Our whole elementary has field day...

5. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Mar 22, 2011

We have field day. One year, we had one in fall and one in spring.

6. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Mar 22, 2011

We have our field day at the end of the year in early May. Honestly, though, if admin wanted to cut it, I don't know that many of our teachers would fight it! lol It's a lot of fun, though, and the rest of us love it.

7. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Mar 22, 2011

Ours is on the last day of school which is perfect.

8. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Mar 22, 2011

This year ours is the same day as our local Relay for Life. So, outside, hot and yucky all day, then staying up 24 hours. We should be good and loopy by the next morning! lol

9. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Mar 22, 2011

We have a field day from K-8th grade.

10. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 23, 2011

Our kindergarten to grade 3 students have field day at the school; the grade 4-8 students walk to the nearby high school where we use their facilities for a track and field meet--races, high jump, long jump, triple jump, ball throw/shot put, etc.

11. mdawson

mdawson Rookie

Mar 23, 2011

Our school still has field day, and it's held the week that school lets out for summer. The kids love it...the staff not so much :lol:. Thank goodness our PTO puts together most of it. In fact they have about a $2,300 budget for field day. They buy all the kids a field day t-shirts and last year they bought everyone a water bottle. Like I said the kids love it.

12. cruiserteacher

cruiserteacher Comrade

Mar 23, 2011

We have a field day that our PE teacher organizes and the PTO funds. Most of the games and things can be used from year to year, though, so I don't think it is a big money sucker. The parents volunteer to run stations as well, and that is one of the few days a year we can get a lot of parents in the building. Ours is the Friday before the last day of school, just in case it rains so we can make it up. I think we're going to be doing t-shirts this year as well, which he haven't done recently.

13. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Mar 23, 2011

When I taught elementary, we used our field day as a big fund raiser. In the morning there were events that were totally free and everyone participated in. Then in the afternoon all of the parents came and there were food and novelties for sale, and then some carnival games you could play, and the bounce house things. It was a low-income school, so everything was inexpensive, but still they made a profit. It's usually the week after state testing here.

14. OptimisticOne

OptimisticOne Rookie

Mar 23, 2011

Not a teacher yet, but I do remember having field day when I was in elemetary and middle school. In high school we had a few days set aside for class wars. The seniors, sophomore, juniors, and freshmen would all choose sports to play and whoever won at the end of those three days would win a spirit stick or something like that. It was fun for us kids though

15. txteach26

txteach26 Rookie

Mar 23, 2011

We have Field Day for PK-5th grades. Most of the community turns out for it and it's usually a great day. I've heard no plans of cutting it. However, we sell Field Day t-shirts as a fundraiser to help offset costs.

16. historynut

historynut Rookie

Mar 23, 2011

We had one when I went to Elem. school. But the school I'm currently teaching at does not. They held it one year with the 6th graders sponsoring/officiating it. The closest thing we've had to it since was the Greek Olympics I sponsored for the 6th graders.
    Our PE teachers are well...(how do I put this nicely) not into doing anything that large.

17. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Mar 25, 2011

We have two field days (one for K-3 and one for 4-7) that our PE teacher organizes and the PTU funds. Most of the games are water related relay races and super fun. The 8th grade students run all of the events with us teachers as coaches. Ours are during the last couple of weeks of school.

18. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Mar 25, 2011

Our entire elementary school has a field day close to the last day of school. High school athletes get out of class to help with it.

19. Pacificpastime

Pacificpastime Companion

Mar 25, 2011

Thank you for all your responses. I was hoping other schools still did field days!