Fidget Spinners

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ms.Holyoke, May 19, 2017.

1. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

May 19, 2017

Do students are your school use fidget spinners? Around here, it seems like kids (especially boys) 3rd grade and above are obsessed with them! I personally think they are a distraction. What do you think of them?

anon55 likes this.
  3. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

May 19, 2017

I think they are helpful for the ones who truly need them. That said, almost all my kids have them, and I have quite the collection sitting on my desk until the last day of school because I am tired of them being toys for all the ones that don't actually need them. They are more of a distraction than anything.

Luv2TeachInTX likes this.
  4. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

May 19, 2017

I think they're awful. Actually, I have been using fidgets in my classroom since before they were "cool". :cool: Fidget seems to be a buzzword these days. But in my opinion, the fidget spinners are nothing but toys that are harder to ban because parents think they're helpful and that teachers who don't like them are just not accepting. There are so many better, quieter, more useful, less distracting fidgets out there.

5. rpan

rpan Cohort

May 19, 2017

I have built quite a collection too. Probably should re-sell them to make a little money on the side for my troubles :) My issue with them is that when it spins, it makes a noise that students cant ignore. I personally dont think a spinner is a good fidget toy for any student who needs one.Something more tactile (and quiet) like a stress ball or lump of plasticine is more effective.

6. Kat.

Kat. Companion

May 20, 2017

I can't stand them. I think only students who are diagnosed with something should be allowed to have them in class.

It was crazy. Last Thursday it seemed no one had them. Then Friday BOOM everyone did.

Flexible seating > spinners.

7. AmyMyNamey

AmyMyNamey Comrade

May 20, 2017

They remind me of the miniature skateboards kids had to have years ago.

If it's a toy, put it away before I take it. If it keeps a troubled child from destroying my lessons, all is good.

otterpop and Leaborb192 like this.
  8. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

May 20, 2017

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  9. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

May 20, 2017

The problem as you stated are they obsessed with them. We have had to take away our share of them that are used in class in 3rd and 4th grade. While in theory, they could be positive for some. In reality, they are distracting toys. I am glad this is happening at the end of the year. My guess is that there will be more school rules about them for next year.

10. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

May 20, 2017

That's the thing though, they're just toys, but because they've been branded as "helpful", they're harder to get rid of! They're right on par with snap bracelets, yoyos, Tamagotchi pets, the kentama ball toys they had last year, and Pokemon cards. They're a fad. Whoever first said "these are great for kids who need to focus!" and started to brand them as an ADHD fix is a marketing genius.

11. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

May 20, 2017

otterpop likes this.
  12. laoshijiejie

laoshijiejie Rookie

May 20, 2017

They are so annoying and kids who don't need them are the ones getting them. My middle school brother just told me he ordered one. I asked why, since he doesn't need help focusing. He replied "What are you talking about?! It's just a toy." :rolleyes:

Backroads likes this.
  13. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

May 20, 2017

They are a toy. I have no issue with them, my students know to keep them away during learning.

14. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

May 20, 2017

Try having a class where half are ADD and then realize that the students are being given the spinners by the workers in the residential living facilities, where they are just trying to keep everyone busy, not just the ADD students, and you see where toys become a problem in the classroom. Not one of my students was given this "aid" by their school therapist, or written into an IEP. Instead, aides in the living units gave them across the board as gifts. Some were lost, others were stolen, and now some students (without cause) have them while others don't. That is a recipe for distraction to the highest power. Here's the kicker - I can't even take them away from my students since residence staff gave them to the students. I hope they all disappear over the summer!

Backroads likes this.
  15. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

May 20, 2017

I have yet to see a student be able to fidget with one that allows them to focus on the task at hand.

16. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

May 20, 2017

Bingo! That is the problem.

17. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

May 20, 2017

I've banned them from my classroom. The kids that legitimately need a fidget weren't the ones using it; they were being used by the kids that can focus perfectly fine but like having spinning competitions with other kids. It ended up being a school-wide ban anyway, for any student without an educational plan calling for a fidget. One of my boys with an IEP tried to tell me it was written into his plan. Him and I had a very interesting discussion on that point.

Backroads and otterpop like this.
  18. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

May 20, 2017

And call me crazy, but my general philosophy is that any fidget that makes noise is likely to be completely useless as a fidget.

19. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 21, 2017

My school has declared them to be nuisance items. Teachers have been directed to confiscate them whenever they see them. I assume that any kid who has the use of a fidget spinner written into their IEP would be allowed to keep it.

Backroads likes this.
  20. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

May 21, 2017

I think the makers hit gold when they marketed them as a focus-allowing fidget.

I have three kids who have express permission to have them. One no longer uses it because his fidgeting was too much for the spinner. It sits upon my desk waiting for him to realize he wants it back.

21. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

May 22, 2017

So today a kid brought no less than 3 fidget spinners. He is not approved to have them because they have not worked as a fidget for him. I wound up taking them away.

The kid later in the day colored on the carpet and pocketed a bunch of my personal books in his backpack. When I told Dad at pick-up, Dad blamed me for taking away the #@*! fidget spinners.

22. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

May 22, 2017

How was the kid supposed to use those blasted spinners, anyway? One for each hand and one for his toes? I would bring something to have kid help clean up the rug, and send home a note or email asking that the books be returned to the school at once. One spinner, maybe, if in the IEP. Three is a major distraction to the rest of the class, and not fair to those students trying to work above the annoyance. So sorry, Backroads - hope tomorrow is better.

23. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

May 22, 2017

My kids know, because I discussed it from the beginning of the year: if something helps you focus, great. If it becomes a distraction or I can tell it's just something you're playing with, it goes in the backpack or is mine until the end of the day.

I think I've given the teacher eye to one student, and that's it. Basically, it's been a non-issue, despite there being 6-7 at least I think amongst the students, and they're learning how to meet those boundaries that exist.

And for me, it's almost literally the opposite!

24. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

May 22, 2017

I don't have a problem with the fidgets that don't make noise and can be used one handed so they aren't so noticeable. I also want fidgets that aren't in the news from causing someone to lose an eye, have surgery to get them out of the esophagus, or breaking teeth.

But I agree with the marketing genius. i need to come up with a magical pencil.

dgpiaffeteach likes this.
  25. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

May 22, 2017

They are banned at my school unless they have a pass that says it helps their a DVD. No one has a pass! So as soon as one is seen it is confiscated. The device is then passed on from one member of staff to another until the kid gets fed up of chasing it.

Backroads likes this.
  26. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 23, 2017

Our P has left it up to teachers to decide how we want to handle these in our classrooms. There was an influx of them in my room last week, but I only asked a couple to put them away. If they are spinning and working, I'm fine with it, As soon as the pencil goes down or the spinning gains an audience, it goes away.

I have 2 students who have the ability to use a fidget written into their IEP. They both favour clay or Thera-putty to spinners. They also are the two who have the biggest challenge using their fidget and working.

27. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

May 23, 2017

Really? It's not fair to permanently take away a kid's property. Why don't they just get it from the office at the end of the day?

28. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

May 23, 2017

I have only just begun seeing them at my school. My class policy on toys is that if I see it, it goes in toy jail until the end of the year. I have a whole collection of toys from two boys in particular, one of whom informed me that he no longer has toys at home because I've confiscated them all. (To which I replied that he should have stopped bringing them to school!) I've only had to take one spinner though. The kids in my class who have them know better than to get them out during school.

blazer and Backroads like this.
  29. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

May 23, 2017

Because the kids simply return to school with them the next day, setting the whole chain of events in motion once again. I think that you may find, as you gain more experience, that it robs the other students of teacher's full attention.

30. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

May 23, 2017

I've seen policies where the office holds it for a week or a parent or gaurdian needs to come get it. That seems more fair than intentionally taking property from students.

31. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

May 23, 2017

It seems to me that staff still has possession, and I would hazard a guess that if a parent or guardian wants to retrieve it, it will be offered up, with the requisite information that they are banned at the school unless written into the IEP. I don't see anything wrong with that sequence of events. Most parents will not retrieve them because they already know that the schools ban them, meaning their child made a very poor choice to taking it to school.

Backroads likes this.
  32. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

May 23, 2017

It isn't. I was given an anonymous death threat, and I strongly suspect based on handwriting it's from this kid.

33. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

May 23, 2017

waterfall and SageScience like this.
  34. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

May 23, 2017

It seems like it would be more work for the teachers to keep passing spinners on to each other & keep track of whose is whose in case a parent actually wants it back! It would be easier to just have students give them to the office and have a policy that parents have to come get it after a week (or even at the end of the year!)

mathmagic likes this.
  35. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

May 23, 2017

In my mind (but I could be wrong in my thinking/approach), if a child is making an improper choice with a material, the first time it's just a reminder -- sort of teaching them about it, in a sense. The second time, I'll often ask for the item until the end of the day, at which point they can take it with them, and I'll again allow them to utilize that item (purposefully broad term) hopefully with making the right choice...and if it continues to happen after that, it's a simple not-allowed-at-all situation, and I'll take it in any situation and then send an e-mail to parents about it. Thankfully, I think I've only hit that last part once, but otherwise they tend to learn pretty quickly about expectations.

Ms.Holyoke likes this.
  36. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 23, 2017

Interestingly, while there were an abundance of spinners in my room last week, there were none today. Ahhhh, the fleeting attention span of grade 7 students!

37. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

May 23, 2017

This is what I tell my kids, and usually they're fine with that rule, but the goo and fidget spinners that have come in this year have definitely been distracting. Wonder what the trends will be next year? :rolleyes:

38. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

May 23, 2017

MrsC, did your kids send all of their spinners to "needy kids" in NJ, by any chance? Right on cue, my kids were sporting the newest and brightest on the market today. If your kids didn't send them, I am forced to shake my head that the residence workers would ante up for another round of these things, apparently fancier than the first go-round. My head is about to explode in wonder as we had a three kid brawl over these things today, enough to keep three kids out of school for four school days each. How can anyone think this is a step in the right direction? There are fidgets I don't mind, but these are about to get on my last good nerve.

Last edited: May 23, 2017
  39. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

May 23, 2017

Ah yes, the goo. That one has been the one that's hit with a few of my learners who need focus on what we're doing more than anything...I like that less than the spinners, as there's much more you can end up doing with it (and it gets annoying to clean up ;))

40. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

May 23, 2017

If a student takes a banned item into school, they do it fully knowing that confiscation is a possibility.

41. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

May 23, 2017

Three-blade ADHD Fidget Tri-spinner Stress Relief Product Adult Fidgeting Toy
    [​IMG]
    Not school friendly, marketed for adults, but used by students in my classroom. Is there anything wrong with this picture and practice?