Fiance Sleeping Funny

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Learner4Life, Dec 10, 2009.

1. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

Dec 10, 2009

My fiance has been doing some very weird things in his sleep lately and it's kind-of freaking me out. Last night, he started screaming in his sleep and says it's because the room was getting darker. Another night he was screaming, stood up and tore all the covers off the bed and THEN woke up with the covers in his hand having NO idea what he was doing. And the one that started it all was when he slept walked over to my side of the bed and I woke up to him staring at me and when I asked him what he was doing he slept walked back to his side of the bed and went back to sleep.
    These are the extreme cases but more on a regular basis I'll wake up to him jerking his arms around or he'll roll over and say something. I asked his mom about it and she says that he's never done anything like this before. Fiance swears I'm making it up even though he woke up with the covers in his hand the one night.

Does anyone have any experience with this??? I want a good nights rest!!!

3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Dec 10, 2009

Oh dear, it sounds like he's having night terrors. My husband used to have them where he'd bolt upright screaming. They're different than standard nightmares from what I have seen and read. Thankfully, Rockhubby hasn't had one in a few years, partly because I realized one of his triggers was having the closet door open (it sounds silly but closing it has always helped). There are a lot of web sites on this with ranging theories / treatments. Have fun Googling and good luck!

4. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Dec 10, 2009

Is he taking any kind of medication? Some sleep aids have strange (indeed, bizarre) effects. Also, is he unchanged behaviorally during the day? Is he under stress (which can be good things as well as bad)?

5. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Dec 10, 2009

My brother used to have night terrors when he was a teenager. Sometimes it was triggered by what he was watching or reading that night. He never took any medication, but they have only happened a few times in his adult life. I really have no suggestions, just curious to others.

6. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Dec 10, 2009

Any sudden change in behavior, whether awake or asleep, is worth investigating. It cold be as simple as stress or a medicine causing bizzare night time behaviors, but it could also indicate something worse. I think it's worth it for him to bring it up to his doctor. That is, IF you can convince him it's really happening.

7. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

Dec 10, 2009

HA THAT may be the problem. He's not taking any medication at all and yesterday he said he had a really great day at work and wasn't stressed out at all... I think I'm going to try and convince him to talk to someone.

8. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Dec 10, 2009

Boys will be boys...even after they turn into men. What if you suggest you set up a camera. Get him to let you record his sleeping for a few days and tell him if the video doesn't show anything, then you'll drop the subject, but if it does show these things, then he will go to the doctor. Of course, the mind is a powerful thing. If he knows he's being recorded, he might not show the behavior for a few days, so get him to agree to a week or so.

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 10, 2009

My son had night terrors when he was younger; he's pretty much outgrown them now.

I think it's time for a physical.

10. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 10, 2009

THAT right there would scare the heck out of me! Night terrors was the 1st thing I thought of too, but what's the cause I wonder? Did something drastic happen w/ his work, family, health, etc.?

11. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Dec 10, 2009

My first reaction was to convince him to go to a sleep clinic, but if he thinks your making all this up there is no way he'd agree to a clinic. I like the camera idea. Is there a covert way you could do this without his knowing? How about an audio recorder for the screaming? Good luck.

12. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Dec 10, 2009

My husband has night terrors. Most of the time he just has conversations with himself. Sometimes he talks to me, although sometimes he calls me Bill. :lol: (Bill is his cousin, by the way.)

One night he woke me up telling me to get the cat off the bed. (We don't have a cat.) Then he started SCREAMING and fighting something that I didn't see. He got his leg caught between the mattress and footboard and cut a gash in it. He went right back to sleep and didn't remember a thing. He only believed me when he saw the bandage on his leg.

They are really scary!

13. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Dec 10, 2009

Every so often I'll go through something similar, and it will occur for three or four consecutive nights. Usually I'll "see" a huge bug and try to beat the crap out of it (sometimes the nonexistent bug will be on my husband's calf... :( ). Once, according to my husband, I woke up one night screaming bloody murder and scared him half to death. I was in absolute hysterics and it took him a few minutes to calm me down (I do remember that part); anyway, I thought there was another man in my bed.

My poor husband....

14. bros

bros Phenom

Dec 11, 2009

Get him a sleep study :p

Sounds like he has night terrors. I used to get those when I was a toddler. Freaked the hell out of my parents (especially since I tended to sleep with my eyes open) :p

15. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

Dec 11, 2009

Actually, my little brother had night terrors as a child but I thought (and most of what I've googled says) that they only occured in children so I have been a little worried. I did talk to my parents about it last night and they said when they were researching my brothers night terrors they heard about football players that would put their heads through walls because they were dreaming they were in a game or something.
    My dad, being the poop that he is, says that it's stress from wanting to tell me he doesn't want to go through with the wedding.

16. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Dec 11, 2009

You know, it just dawned on me...your dad, while likely on the wrong branch, may have found the right tree. Planning a wedding is very stressful. There are a lot of plans to be made, decisions to make, and money to spend. Add to that the inevitable dissagrements, and your fiancee could very well be internalizing a lot more stress than he's admitting.

17. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Dec 11, 2009

My husband went through a phase of sleepwalking. He was under a lot of stress and having terrible insomnia so he was taking a sleep aid with alcohol.

It was really scary, because he was up and talking, but very confused. He would be looking for clothes, or the light switch, or the doorway. And, he'd call out to me to help him find these things.

I'd heard you never wake a sleepwalker because it startles them and can be dangerous. So, what I would do is try to verbally guide him to what he was looking for and firmly keep telling him that he was asleep and to come back to bed. Often, I'd actually get out of be and lead him to the door, or turn on the light for him.

I started to fear he would grab the car keys and go driving - that's how active he was. Luckily, I was able to convince him to stop taking the sleep aid (and he stopped drinking). He hasn't done any sleepwalking since.

I agree with videotaping. It's probably the only way to convince him to get help.

18. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Dec 11, 2009

Have you seen Paranormal Activity? Because, no joke, this sounds like that movie. That would creep me out! Yikes. Hopefully he gets help for it, before he hurts himself sleep walking somewhere!

19. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Dec 12, 2009

My brother, who is 25, has night terrors like that. Luckily, his wife is very supportive and doesn't scare easily, because he does some really bizarre things. Sometimes he just screams at her or at someone he thinks is in the room, but other times he actually gets up and does things.

They are not frequent, but they are markedly worse when he is stressed out. He remembers what he did when he wakes up, so he is aware of what he is doing and he's gone to the doctor. They haven't started anything yet as far as meds, but it is something he's looking into.

20. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Dec 12, 2009

My daughter as a toddler had night terrors. They were awful! Can't imagine what it'd be like if she went through that again & she's only 17 yrs. old now.