Female Topic-- Cycle differences (Men stay out!)

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by BioAngel, Nov 7, 2009.

1. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Nov 7, 2009

After doing some research I haven't been able to find anything out that is helpful to me and what I'm experiencing. I thought my best bet would just come here and see if anybody else is going through what I am (or has) and if its normal. Btw, I take good care of my body, I don't feel any different, I'm a lot happier and less stressed this year than last school year. (And I'm fully aware that my best bet is to talk to a doctor-- I want to talk to teachers first ;))

I'm 24 years old and have been having normal period cycles my whole life-- never skipped a period ever. And I know that around my age my period cycle begins to change. I've already seen changes such as a lighter period and for less days--- its a gradual change, not something that just happened suddenly.

But lately my cycle has been becoming longer and longer and the days are never the same any more. For example, I had my period 2 months ago on the 30th for 4-5 days. One month ago I got it on the 3rd for 4-5 days. Today (the 7th) I'm JUST starting to get it. I have little to no cramping normally too now that my cycle has changed from when I was younger (I got my period at 11).

I was told by a nurse (who privately discussed it with other doctors and nurses) that since I'm working with young girls (I teach 5th grade) plus other women (who's cycles are different than mine) it may be messing mine up. Most of my female students don't have their periods as far as I know, though some are already do.

I was told I might be able to go on birth control to control the cycle timing, though I'm against most types of birth control due to religious reasons.

I just basically want to know if anybody else has gone through this--- like I said, I feel fine, I know my body is growing up into a more mature woman, and I'm doing whatever I can to keep my stress levels down.

Any thoughts or experiences are appreciated. :thanks:

3. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Nov 7, 2009

I find that my cycle is only 1 to 2 days behind my aides within a few months of the start of the new school year. Last year we used to suffer from cramps on the same day:lol:. I find that my cycle began changing in my 30s though. I also did not experience PMS until 3 years ago, but over the last 4 months I have not had any PMS symptoms:dunno:. I am not on the pill...I always forget to take pills...

4. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Nov 7, 2009

I have always had very bad cramps and irregular periods.
    I was put on the pill at 15 to control this, and went off about the time I moved across the country (mainly because I did not want to go find a Dr.). I found my cycle was even more messed up at 25 than it was at 14. I went back on the pill. It is makes it SOOOO much better.
    Maybe thinking about using a birth control pill as a medicinal thing rather than to prevent pregnancy. It can help. A lot!

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Nov 7, 2009

I've been through it. I still can't map my period because it never comes on the same day or even around the same time. Last month I thought I was pregnant because it had been longer between my periods.

6. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Nov 7, 2009

Same problem as STG. Never the same amount of time. One month it was 28 days, next it was 35 days, last month it was 48 days. I'm on day 20 of this cycle. Who knows when Aunt Flo will visit next.

7. Shanoo

Shanoo Habitué

Nov 7, 2009

My period has been all over the map for all of my life.

When I was a teenager, I was so irregular I never knew when my period was coming. I had really bad cramps that would take me out of school every first day of my period. I started taking birth control in my 20s to help ease the cramps, which it did. Another pleasant side-effect was that it made my periods regular. No more guessing as to when it was going to start.

When I went away to college (in my pre-birth control days), I lived in an all-female dorm. Most of the girls on my floor ended up with periods at the same time by the end of the year.

I will say that during my student-teaching I didn't have a period for 4 months. Pregnancy test after pregnancy test came back negative. I finally went to my doctor, who scheduled some tests for me, but she did say that the female reproductive system is more complex than people realize and really slight things can throw it off balance.

8. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Nov 7, 2009

The only time mine was ever regular was for the two years I was on birth control pills. I started at age 9, and the only thing "regular" about me is that I've never had a period in March except on birth control pills. :confused:

They might be just what you need to keep you from being "surprised" by it all the time. I can't take them anymore, but they did help a lot.

Now I go for months with nothing, but I had two in October. :dizzy:

9. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Nov 7, 2009

I've never had a regular cycle either. If I'm reading your post right, though, it seems like it's been 33-34 days for you both times.

On another note, I'm also 24, and have recently noticed that mine have been shorter and lighter as well.

10. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Nov 7, 2009

I do know that when women are together daily, there is something that pulls them to all have their periods at the same time. I grew up in a house with 5 women, and we all had ours pretty much at the same time. The same thing happens with DD and me.

One thing caught my attention though. Whenever you start having longer/heavier periods, you do need to get checked by the doctor. Birth control might really help you.
    Be very open with the doctor about your religious views - some pills are abortive, some just prevent conception. You have to ask. Lots of doctors don't get what you are talking about, so you might call your pharmacist first to get the truth about the different kids of birth control pills. And as said, if it will help you medically, that is different than taking it to keep from getting pg.

11. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Nov 7, 2009

I know to be careful if my period gets heavy and I get very short cycles--- my Mom went through hell for years with her period until she had her uterus removed. So I'm keeping an eye on myself with any of that too.

I think that if this brings up too much anxiety for me--- I have one boyfriend but we're long distance so we're not really worried about pregnancy yet--- I'll consider going on to the pill. At least something that wouldn't abort a baby if I was taking it.

I know our female bodies are VERY difficult to understand and I'm glad to see that there are others out there that have irregular patterns too. :)

12. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Nov 7, 2009

Bio - I recently went through a strange thing on this topic of bc pills. I was seeing a new gyn who suggested a certain method, and I asked how it worked, i.e., was it abortive or did it prevent conception. She said it kept the egg from implanting. I told her I couldn't in good conscience use that type of bc, and she did look at me funny, like she couldn't get it or had never had anyone say that before! She smoothed it over, and in the end really helped me with some issues. But most doctors aren't concerned about this topic, don't even understand why someone would be on that wavelength . . . it was a strange experience. So you do have to ask and be specific, and the pharmacists usually know more about the meds than the doctors.

13. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Nov 7, 2009

To my knowledge, most (possibly all) birth control pills work in three ways: preventing ovulation, inhibiting sperm from entering the uterus by altering the consistency of cervical mucus, and preventing/inhibiting implantation in the event that you do ovulate. I don't think you'll find a pill that won't do those things.

If you're concerned about the abortificant-factor, you'll want to either use another method of contraception in addition to the pill or consider another solution entirely.

14. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Nov 8, 2009

I think it is common that women who work together get on the same cycle.

15. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Nov 8, 2009

I keep a menstrual calendar. I made it myself... it's really easy to do. Here is one online. I made my own, but used a font I like and made the grid hidden. I also added some art I liked to mine.

http://64.246.42.50/images/1341.pdf

But anyway, before you get worried, you need to seriously just keep track of your period for awhile. I do and find that I am really regular, where I used to think I wasn't.

I have had two major changes in my period. In my teens I had terrible, terrible cramping and a heavy flow. Through my 20's I had a light flow, terrible cramping, but it only lasted 3-4 days. Now I have a light flow, no cramping (most months) but it lasts 4-7 days. I am 32.

I think it's a good thing to track. And if you aren't sexually active or concerned about pregnancy don't get on BC pills. The hormones will definitely effect your mood and things like that. I just wouldn't do it.

16. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 8, 2009

Throughout the yrs, mine starts the 2nd or 3rd week of the month, so on the 7th or 8th or 15th, 16th, but it doesn't change wks from one month to the next. The change is very gradual. And mine lasts about 6 days generally. I wish it was shorter. I'll only have cramps the 1st day my period starts, sometimes not even that.

I know if you live w/ other females in close proximity, all the ladies' periods will come to be the same. I didn't know your period could be the same as your female students. I didnt think that was constant enough in contact to happen.

17. kidsandpups

kidsandpups Companion

Nov 8, 2009

There is a fantastic book that explains why periods can fluctuate and all the other inner workings of the female reproductive system. It's called "Taking Charge of Your Fertility" by Toni Weschler. Many women use it for achieving pregnancy or avoiding pregnancy but it also does a great job of explaining what is going on with your body. I was amazed when I read it.

18. becky

becky Enthusiast

Nov 8, 2009

Bonne, I heard this, too, lol. My nieces, my sister, and I are within weeks of each other! I wonder how Jeannie will fall in??;)

19. becky

becky Enthusiast

Nov 8, 2009

Anyone get yeast infections right before? That's my misfortune right now. The gyn has no idea if it's yeast or something else, so I just take acidophilous tablets and hope for the best.

20. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Nov 8, 2009

At least I'm not the only one! My friend and I have an inside joke: she is Clockwork and I am Guesswork. My periods are so crazy there is no telling when I'll start. I used to try tracking it on a calendar and gave up. Now the only way I can tell when I'll begin is my PMS-tenderness, quick temper flares, eating every chocolate item I lay eyes on, etc. Once those begin I know Aunt Flo will be around within a week.