Female teachers (or anyone) -- how would you have reacted?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by ms.irene, Jan 9, 2015.

1. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jan 11, 2015

I understand what you are saying & a lot of people use it as group reference here as well. To me guys is for males & gals (even though it sounds weird) is more for the females...so to answer your question no I don't lump all under one heading....

All this talk reminds me of how young women get offended when called ma'am....

2. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Jan 11, 2015

Men calling women "girls" has underlying roots in sexism. For example, think of the last time someone you know on Facebook posted a picture of their baby boy. What did the comments say? They probably called him a "little man," or a "heartbreaker". It's socially acceptable to call them "men" even if they're an infant. But the opposite is true for women: people try to call them a "girl" for the longest possible time. It's not obvious at first, but it infantilizes women.

You would not call an adult male a "boy," so why is it okay to call an adult woman a "girl"?

3. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jan 11, 2015

Girl doesn't bother me as long as there doesn't seem to be malicious intent behind it. I say girl all the time-"it's just us girls tonight for dinner" for example. I also say you guys pretty regularly in class.

As far as little boys on Facebook, I only have one friend with a boy but she calls him her boy. Her recent status was about her and her little boy going out to walk the pigs to get ready for a show next weekend. He's four. I know people do say little man for young boys though, but I've also heard people say things like "my what a nice young lady you're turning into" in reference to elementary aged girls.

To me it's all about content and tone. There are certainly people who can make the words ladies or women seem wrong-little lady for example.

4. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jan 11, 2015

Mike never thought of it that way (don't have facebook...LOL)! But as someone pointed out that gal sounds weird so does woman. I think you see/ hear people say little lady...

5. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jan 11, 2015

Agreed... I call my neighbor I've known since she was Baby & I still say How are you doing Girly? Not because I'm mean..it's really, to me, like saying sister.

6. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Jan 11, 2015

I was going to say the same thing. People always said "little lady" when my daughter was younger. Also, not calling men boys as frequently is a regional thing. I know that in the UK, men calling each other boys or lads is common.

I don't really think of myself as a "girl" anymore, but I wouldn't be offended by the classification. Or maybe it's just that I'm a child of the eighties... The Golden Girls, Girls Just Want to Have Fun...Wait, on second thought, there was also Boys of Summer and Let's Hear it for the Boys. :lol:

7. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jan 11, 2015

"Guys" is also pretty common in the upper Midwest... Often in the expression "you guys" (or, in those with a stronger dialect, "you's guys")

8. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jan 11, 2015

Jersey... I have been called girl by my gram's friends... I don't take offense since I'm much younger than them. Lol.
    I was also thinking little miss is another I have heard for younger girls.
    I hear men say "guys" night. Ama... You guys is big here too. I know when I subbed(did that first) it took the class by surprise when I said guys & gals. Lol. It sounded foreign to them. Lol!

9. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Jan 15, 2015

Wow! If this upsets you or makes you uncomfortable...you must be upset and uncomfortable a LOT. It was a nothing attempt at humor. Do you think the older teacher was making an accusation? Did you really feel degraded because you were referred to as pretty?

There is SO much to be angry about in this world...prioritize your offended nature. THIS was nothing.
    I might have given it an acknowledging "huh huh" chuckle, a "well, thank you", or simply ignored it.

You were right to think you might be making something out of nothing. I can guarantee you that the two male teachers didn't give it a moment's notice. Being a woman doesn't mean that everything is out to degrade you.

10. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Jan 15, 2015

Over here the term 'Guys and Gals' was used by a veteran TV celebrity as a catch phrase for many years. The person was called Jimmy Saville. After his death it was found out that he had been a paedophile for about 50 years abusing thousands of young girls and boys using his celebrity to entrap them!

So now over here we can't here that term without thinking of him.

11. a2z

a2z Maven

Jan 15, 2015

How would have I reacted? I would have just made a little joke back or laughed.

I suspect there was nothing to it other than just social banter to break into the conversation.

But if you want to look for a reason to be offended you can look back for the origins of the use of the word for someone other than the age range, you can look find a reason to find using the word pretty in the workplace offensive, or you can look for some other reason to be offended. Look hard enough, anyone can find just about any comment or conversation offensive to them.

12. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jan 15, 2015

Never knew that. I just hated lumping girls with boys by using guys.

13. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Jan 17, 2015

I just read the entire thread and now have decided TO KEEP MY MOUTH SHUT. With so many ways to disrepect females now there is no hope for me being the only guy around most of the time. And I thought I was a nice guy. I always thought compliments should be heart felt and spontaneous. But to be honest 99.9% of mine are directed at kids.

14. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Feb 13, 2015

I just saw this. Now I see a pattern. :spitwater::toofunny:

Dude, you really don't want to say things like this around women - even those that are in your target age group.

I sure hope you're really young. :whistle: