Female Social Studies Teachers

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by tiki7719, Jul 28, 2009.

1. tiki7719

tiki7719 Companion

Jul 28, 2009

In your school, are there significant more amount of men teaching social studies/history then there are women?

I ran into a former high school teacher of mine not too long ago and she made a comment that it may be easier for women to get a teaching job in history then men as it is a male dominant field.

Do you agree?

3. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 28, 2009

All of our SS teachers are female, but that's unusual. In other schools, I would say that there were more men in the SS department than in the other departments, but there were still more women overall.

In the past, at least a portion of the SS positions were tied to coaching positions, so that's why they had more men. I don't see that as much among the younger coaches. Most of them seem to be certified to also teach biology, health or special ed.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 28, 2009

I just checked our website.

Last year we had 13 male, and 6 female social studies teachers.

It has nothing to do with gender-- those were the best qualified people at the time they were hired.

5. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 28, 2009

In the two schools I have worked in the SS department was made up of

School #1 - 7 males and 3 females - of those 6 males there was one varsity baseball coach, two asst varsity boys basketball, one girls varsity basketball coach, one varsity track coach, one jv baseball coach

School #2 - 3 males, one female (ME) and one part-time female - of those 3 males there is one varsity football coach, one varsity baseball coach and one varsity girls basketball coach.

6. BLHutch25

BLHutch25 Rookie

Jul 28, 2009

At my school (a junior high) we have 8 social studies teachers. The breakdown is 5 females and 3 males. All of the guys are coaches and three of the five ladies are too.

For what it is worth, my wife also teaches history. She had a heck of a time getting a job teaching high school. And she has a master's degree, has taught college dual credit courses for six years, and has coaching experience.

She did something like 30 applications, 5 interviews, 1 offer.

7. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jul 28, 2009

Several of the social studies teachers at the school where I'll be working next year are coaches. I'm not sure about the exact breakdown, but I know most are men. Since I'm certified in both social studies and English, I'm hoping at some point to get to teach both. I think a fun course would be a combined class for American Literature and American History, which students conveniently take the same year here.

8. tiki7719

tiki7719 Companion

Jul 28, 2009

I agree. If there was a cultural history course (taken as an option course) that would be awesome to have the two together.

9. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 28, 2009

We teach this course - for us it is called Humanites and works very well. We teach it in the 11th grade as it combines the required US History and the standards for 11th grade English is American Lit. It works great and is taught as a two hour class (we are on a traditional schedule).

10. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 28, 2009

If the high schools are like those in Indiana (substitute basketball for football :)) most SS positions here as posted as dual positions "Social Studies teacher with certs in US History, World History and Goverenment preferred and Basketball coaching experience."

11. BLHutch25

BLHutch25 Rookie

Jul 28, 2009

A lot of them are here too. Not all, mind you, but a large number of them.

12. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 28, 2009

We have 3 of each.

13. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 28, 2009

INteacher~those positions are listed as Social Studies/Coach or SS/Boys' Coach or Girls Coach.

Our high school is broken down as:
    8 females, 2 being coaches
    7 males, 4 being coaches

14. Ron6103

Ron6103 Habitué

Jul 28, 2009

Wow, I guess I should count myself lucky that I got a job as a social studies teacher but not a coach...... interesting.....

15. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 28, 2009

I count my lucky stars everyday for the past 15 years that I was able to get TWO social studies positions without coaching. I have even had teachers from other districts ask me how I got my job without coaching something

16. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jul 28, 2009

There are only 2 women in our department, and they are all white. One of my white male friends just applied there and I told him he might have a hard time - I am sure they will diversify if given the chance.

17. tiki7719

tiki7719 Companion

Jul 28, 2009

From the sounds of this.. it sounds like I should learn how to coach something :/

18. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 28, 2009

tiki - it is NOT impossible to get a SS job without coaching a sport. I am living proof of that :) But I also have always worked a smaller high schools where the need to combine teaching with coaching is a reality. I should add that I do coach academic teams and am a class sponsor and both of these were conditions for hire.

19. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Jul 28, 2009

We have 6 women (2 of whom are coaches) and 8 males, including myself (only of of whom is a coach). Here coaches apply to the AD and teachers apply to the principal for the job.

20. LoVe 2 TcH

LoVe 2 TcH Companion

Jul 28, 2009

At my school, junior high, students learn the CA standards for history and another culture's history. There are 7 female and 2 male teachers.

The CA standards are all taught by female teachers.

21. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 29, 2009

:confused: huh?? The male teachers don't teach the standards?? Am I missing something???

22. Señora Lorenzo

Señora Lorenzo Rookie

Jul 29, 2009

At my school, there are 4 SS teachers...3 females and 1 male. One of the females is Athletic Director and Asst. Girls Basketball Coach. The male is Varsity Baseball Coach and Asst. Varsity Football Coach. The other 2 women are not coaches.

23. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Jul 29, 2009

I think making connections between today and the past IS part of history. It is a very important part of it.

24. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Jul 29, 2009

In the schools where I have been, the social studies department has been dominated by males. Most of them were also coaches. It is safe to say, if you want to teach social studies, you should also be able to coach something.

25. Socteach4rmTX

Socteach4rmTX Rookie

Jul 31, 2009

I am a Social Studies Teacher...I don't coach...but I work in a large school.