Fellow coaches out there (who also are teachers?)

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by cb0612, Aug 13, 2012.

1. cb0612

cb0612 Rookie

Aug 13, 2012

Fellow coaches out there (who also are teachers?)
    I just landed my first teaching job about a month and a half ago. I'll be teaching social studies, and am also an assistant football coach. Anyway, I showed up to practice, and not to my surprise, found that the other coaches talk like truckers. Hey, that's how coaches talk, and I'm certainly not easily offended seeing as I learned some creative ways to curse in the Marine Corps prior to this.

My question is, how serious of an offense is it to let an occasional curse word fly out on the practice field? The head coach and I are the only on staff coaches, so I think that for some of these other guys, it's no big deal. I however, am worrying about the fact that many of these faces I'll see in two weeks in my classroom. During my internship I never even came close to cussing (I really don't have that bad of a sailor's mouth,) but being around other people that cuss has a way of rubbing off, and I've let fly a few "a$$," "D---s," and "h--ls." Is this something I should worry about?
    Edit/Delete Message

3. Furthuron

Furthuron Companion

Aug 13, 2012

Congrats on the new gig! I also coach and teach, and I just made a few things clear to the students who were both my athletes and my students - namely, the way we interact on the course (it's cross-country) is different from the way we interact in the classroom. I did have to have one heart-to-heart with a kid who was giving me a hard time, but that was it. They are students first, and you are a teacher first, so professionalism should be key. That being said, things are different out on the field than they are in the classroom. As long as your expectations are clear both inside and outside the classroom, and as long as you are fair/calm/consistent, your students/athletes should act respectfully toward you.

As for the curse words specifically, I personally don't use them and encourage the kids not to use them around me, but they still sometimes do. I just give them a look and they're like, "Oh, sorry, coach," and stop. Kids will be kids, and when they're out of school they tend to appreciate a little more leeway. You're a human being, and they're teenagers, so they should understand if you drop an S bomb every now and then. Just appologize or laugh it off, and it should be no problem.

Good luck! :)

4. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Aug 13, 2012

Curse words are not necessary.
    Be a role model who doesn't use them.
    Parents, the team, and students will follow and respect you.

I know a State champion coach who benched college bound players for personal fouls, cussing, arguing with refs, and such. VERY much respected coach.

5. Ross

Ross Comrade

Aug 13, 2012

I also coach and teach. Foul language from any of the coaching staff is unacceptable. Add to that yelling at the referees, whining about calls going against your team, unsportmslike conduct, or screaming at your players.

You and your staff are there as role models for your young athletes. It is your duty to show them how to act on and off the field.

6. paperlabs

paperlabs Rookie

Aug 14, 2012

I agree, but just want to say that coaching is to gosh darn much freaking time for the little bit of pay that the coaches get.

7. kellyr

kellyr Rookie

Aug 17, 2012

This will be my first year teaching, and I will be coaching 3 sports as well. I noticed that the coaches I work with cuss all the time too! Funny that's its like that almost everywhere. My fellow coaches are really good at doing that only when students/players cannot hear it. I think you should just not do it when your players can hear you. If you want/need to drop a few f-bombs just around the coaches, that should be no big deal. They might end up following your lead and cutting out the cussing in front of kids.

8. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Aug 18, 2012

That is no excuse. Coaches know going in what the stipend is; they don't have to take the job.

9. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Aug 18, 2012

I have never coached, and my daughter who ran cross country and track did not hear foul language from her coaches, but my daughter who was in the marching band was often very stressed by the amount of swearing by the head band director. As a parent I registered a complaint with admin, but nothing was ever done. Of course, his band did win a lot of competitions, so i guess that was considered more important.

10. McParadigm

McParadigm Companion

Aug 21, 2012

I could never coach and teach at the same time....when do you people eat? See your families? I mean, hats off to you, especially if you can keep your language clean. If I got done with a day in the classroom and had to go straight out to coach, I'd be cussing like a sailor. :eek: