Fell in Walmart

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Proud2BATeacher, Jul 10, 2012.

1. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 10, 2012

So, I went to Walmart bright and early this morning. On the way out of the store I slipped and fell.:eek: It happened right in front of the customer service counter. I was directed to a bench and had about 5 workers on me. They wiped up the floor (there was clear liquid on the floor and I heard them saying it was oil). I went to the bathroom (to cry and hide in embarrassment)...2 workers followed me in there. When I got out of the bathroom, there were 4 workers, 3 first aiders and a manager waiting for me. I gave them my name and phone number and they will be calling me tomorrow to check up on me. My elbow is skinned, sore and a bit swollen so I'm applying ice right now. I can bend it so I don't think I'm going to the doctor. I came home with smooshed groceries :(and had ice cream for breakfast.

3. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jul 10, 2012

:( I'm so sorry. :hugs: I hope you feel better.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 10, 2012

ALWAYS file an accident report when such things happen. Feel better!:love:

5. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 10, 2012

Aww, I'm so sorry that happened & I hope you feel better! :( Now, some people will use this situation for all it's worth & be trying to sue up to wazoo, but, of course, it's better to be feeling good in one's body.

This is what I personally fear happening some day to me because I have a bad ankle from an Achilles tendon rupture, so one bad slip at any point will be REALLY scary!

Quick little story: My elderly dad tripped on some carpeting in the ER waiting room of all places! That's the horrible night when BOTH of my parents were in the ER at one time. My parents tried to see what would happen, but got no kind of compensation for it. I heard one ER nurse even say, "Other people have tripped there too."

6. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 10, 2012

I love that you had ice cream for breakfast, but I'm so sorry you fell and had that embarrassing experience!

7. sumnerfan

sumnerfan Comrade

Jul 10, 2012

:eek: Awww . . . you poor thing. I know right now you are hurt and embarrassed, but hopefully you will feel better soon. They may even offer you some kind of settlement since the accident was no fault of yours. Rest and take care of yourself. Feel better soon.

8. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 10, 2012

That's so embarrassing. :( I think you did the right thing by having ice cream for breakfast, though. :)

You might want to reconsider going to the doctor. Sometimes the seriousness of the injury doesn't manifest until a few days to a week or so later.

9. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 10, 2012

The only good part so far was the ice cream for breakfast. Go to the doctor, save the receipt, see what WalMart will do for you. It's their fault you slipped.

10. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 10, 2012

I'll think about going to the doctor this afternoon. My elbow is feeling a lot better. It mainly just hurts where I skinned my elbow and it's bruised on my bone. Thankfully I am no longer in pain.

11. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 10, 2012

Oh, so sorry. I understand you feeling embarrassed, but it was obviously due to oil being on the floor...everyone probably gathered you're just not terribly uncoordinated. :)

My brother slipped on liquid Tide growing up. He was just five or six and was wearing his coat...they immediately said to go pick out a new coat since he couldn't wear it until all that Tide was washed away and it was so cold out. That was nice.

Keep us updated!

12. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Jul 10, 2012

No fun!

You were surrounded by employees because they were fearing a lawsuit (in addition to being concerned about you and wanting to help).

Years ago a big lighted sign at a grocery store (the kind with the register number on it that they turn on to let you know that lane is open) fell and hit dh on the head. I don't remember all of the details, but the woman running the register said out loud right away, "I told them they needed to fix that or someone would get hurt one day." The manager got him ice and when we said we were going to get him checked out, the ER visit was paid for by the store.

Afterward they made him sign a paper basically saying everything was taken care of and resolving them of any further liability.

13. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 10, 2012

I would check with Walmart before going to the doctor. I'm not sure of their policy, but when I worked with a major grocery chain, injured customers had to go to one of our approved clinics- just like if an employee got injured.
    Feel better!

14. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 10, 2012

Hope you are feeling better! Take two bowls of ice cream and let us know in the morning.

15. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jul 10, 2012

You poor thing! Did your groceries get smooshed during the fall? I would have asked for new groceries at least! This happened (a slip and fall) to someone I know at a different store and they ended up sending her a $300 gift card for her troubles.

16. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Jul 10, 2012

Oh that stinks:( Hope you are feeling better.

17. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 10, 2012

I must admit that I also had a scoop of ice cream after I ate lunch.:D

18. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 10, 2012

I really just wanted to get out of the store. I didn't even think of anything happening to my groceries until I got home. I am going to mention it to them tomorrow for sure though. At least my ice cream survived the fall:p.

19. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jul 10, 2012

I'd still got to the doctor if only to document the incident.

20. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 10, 2012

Ice cream makes anything better!

My mom once had a seizure in Wal-Mart and fell into a produce display. Dad swears that men in dress clothes appeared before she completely hit the ground. They were very nice about it.

21. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2012

Oh, I am so sorry. I understand that mix of being hurt and embarrassed and just wanting to get out of there. I would mention the groceries when they call. Take care of yourself.

22. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2012

oh no! :(
    I hope you feel back to normal right away. Enjoy your ice cream.
    If I were you, I'd go to the doctor just in case. You might end up feeling it later :eek:hmy: on down the line; but I hope not.

23. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2012

How are you feeling today?

24. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 11, 2012

I am feeling a lot better scmom. Thanks for asking:). I have been going about my regular daily activities without any pain. I have been feeling around my elbow and although it hurts at one spot, there is no pain. I'll think I'll live:lol:. I'm still waiting for my Walmart phone call though.

25. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jul 12, 2012

I want to say something funny but since I have fallen many times I can't. :hugs:

26. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 12, 2012

A local Walmart was the place where a worker got trampled to death on Black Friday a few years ago. I would imagine that, more than most places, Walmart is sensitive to the idea of a lawsuit based on their negligience.

I'm glad that, while embarassing and probably painful, your injury was in the "ice cream for breakfast" league.

27. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jul 12, 2012

I remember my sister getting her ears pierced at Claire's. She was young and nervous and the girl doing the piercing had the idea that they could do both ears at once - two workers with piercing guns on each ear. Except that since they usually only use one gun at a time, the second gun was sort of the "reject" gun that no one uses. So of course the gun slips on one ear and cuts her ears. They were ALL OVER that with paperwork.

My mom still teases me about that now because here we were in the tiny, hot Claire's store in the mall - my sister is bleeding and screaming, my mom is near hyperventilating, the sales people are hawking over her to get her to sign the paperwork and here I am standing over her going "Hey mom! Hey mom! Can I get these earrings? Mom? Hey mom!..."

28. bison

bison Habitué

Jul 12, 2012

Ha! Oh boy. Claire's is a disaster. Their young staff is not properly trained and those piercing guns can actually be quite harmful, not to mention the lack of adequate sterilization. I got a few ear piercings there as a teen and one of them ended up being very poorly done. I've heard so many horror stories! In case any parents here are considering taking their kids for ear piercings, please take them to a professional piercing artist who will use the correct kind of needle! Sorry for the hijack! Glad you're doing well, Proud. Ice cream each day keeps the doctor away. :lol:

29. BettyRubble

BettyRubble Rookie

Jul 12, 2012

I'm sorry. :( I slipped in the grocery store once because we'd had a summer storm and I was wearing flip flops so it was slick on the floor. It was definitely embarrassing so I know how that feels.

30. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 12, 2012

Hope you are feeling all better! I love that you treated yourself to ice cream for breakfast and after lunch :)

31. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Jul 15, 2012

I hope you are feeling much better now.
    Rebel1