Fell asleep during meeting

Discussion in 'General Education' started by suzy7677, Oct 21, 2020.

1. suzy7677

suzy7677 Rookie

Oct 21, 2020

I am very concerned that my job may be in jeopardy. I have been working around the clock. I leave my house at 530 am and return after 6 and sometimes work until I fall asleep around 10 or 11. Yesterday during a planning meeting with admin I could not stay awake and admin. Noticed and called me in the following day. Said they were just worried and if I wanted to take a couple afternoons off from the after school program I could. They told me I don’t have anything to worry about, but I feel worried. I apologized and truthfully just said I’m exhausted and embarrassed. It is also a stressful year because we have all new admin. and the state is watching us. I’m just tired.

Tired Teacher likes this.
  3. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Oct 21, 2020

Alright... first things first, your job is your job, it isn't your life. It sounds like you really need to take a couple steps back. You're killing yourself, and it will take your admin a week to replace you if you do. Go out there, do the best that you can, but make sure your job is your job.

With that said, I think your admin is being genuine. They see you're stretching yourself too thin and want to help you. Take this as a good opportunity to thank them, catch up on some sleep, and try to make things more personally manageable for yourself.

4. greendream

greendream Cohort

Oct 22, 2020

I'm trying to get a visual here... did you fall asleep briefly or were you asleep for a substantial amount of time?

Tired Teacher likes this.
  5. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Oct 22, 2020

Stop working around the clock!

6. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Oct 22, 2020

I'd take your principal at word. It does sound genuine.

7. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Groupie

Nov 1, 2020

You really need to set a time to be done. I had a tendency to keep working like you. I found over the years that I was happier and the kids even learned better when I set limits on my own work hours. Eventually, I found myself almost working contract hours + maybe 30 minutes extra a day. Your admin is noticing that you are working hard and has assured you that you are "safe." They don't want you to burn out.
    Funny story- I was in a huge auditorium near the front next to a teacher who started snoring 1x. The presenters could see and hear her. I did give her a jab when I realized she was getting loud.

8. noraaustin72

noraaustin72 New Member

Nov 6, 2020

You need to take rest, give space to your work and go on an outing with family, you will feel better, dont do work too long, sleep on time.