Feels like my final 2 months at this school

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Pi-R-Squared, Mar 27, 2017.

1. Expo Markers

Expo Markers Rookie

Apr 8, 2017

Your union rep is smart. If you've kept them in the loop, they may be able to appeal for a RIF or seriously shake up the P and get some of the heat off of you. Don't do anything irreversible. Just put your name in the job pool and let them handle it.

2. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Apr 8, 2017

GOOD. LISTEN TO HER.

3. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Apr 8, 2017

Glad you got your union involved. The second you have an inkling that you may be on the chopping block, the union needs to be the first place you go. Even if they can't save your job, they can help soften the landing.

4. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Apr 8, 2017

Did any of the conversations with your principal happen via email?

5. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Apr 9, 2017

Nope. Closed door conversation.

6. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Apr 10, 2017

Not a surprise.

7. Expo Markers

Expo Markers Rookie

Apr 10, 2017

Has he ever emailed you or Facebook messaged you anything at all about this?

It could be a stupid idea, but are you in a state where only one party has to consent to a recording? It may not be a bad idea to get some proof if you're really in a bind.

Again, I'm preservice, so the latter is conjecture. But you have nothing in writing at all?

8. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Apr 10, 2017

I have nothing in writing. Just words. It really doesn't matter in the long run. I know my days are numbered here and will just end up either finding a new job before the year is up or getting non-renewed. That's my reality and I'm doing my best to make it through the last 7 weeks.

9. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Apr 11, 2017

UPDATE: My union rep suggested I attend a dinner that is being hosted by the union president. It's for educators with 5 years experience or less. She said legal counsel will be there and that I can discuss with situation with them.

Sounds like it could be informative but I didn't realize that legal counsel could be needed?

SageScience likes this.
  10. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Apr 11, 2017

You know how it goes - everyone hates lawyers until they need one. If the counsel is free, take advantage.

11. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Apr 11, 2017

Oh, I will take advantage. What should I ask?

12. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Apr 11, 2017

I've gotten my letter of recommendation from the P.

I opened it and it looks like a standard "I recommend [insert name here] for a position at your school.". ;)

SageScience likes this.
  13. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 11, 2017

Is it a good letter or generic?

14. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Apr 12, 2017

Looks like a generic one to me. Key words like organized, professional, knowledgable, uses technology, communicates well, etc..... it reads like a pre-made form letter where he put my name in certain spaces.

Or maybe I'm overthinking this...

All I know is I asked for his LOR because there was a position I wanted to apply for that was recently posted and I wanted to upload his letter into my online documents,

15. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Apr 12, 2017

He does end it with "I highly recommend [name] for the position."

16. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Apr 12, 2017

More specifically, it's only one paragraph long.

mathmagic likes this.
  17. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Apr 13, 2017

UPDATE: Met with a union lawyer and he said the following:

1.). Do NOT resign. He said under no circumstances should a teacher resign. He says a teacher cannot get a union lawyer's help if the teacher resigns. Even a tenured teacher who chopped off the heads of his students should talk to their union lawyer first. That's what he said!!

2.). Make the P pink-slip me. He said to put the onus on the P to go to the super to tell him why I should be pink-slipped. This goes back to Vickilyn stating the P wants me to do his work for him.

3.). He read my LOR and said it's an excellent recommendation. According to him, most Ps in my state do not write LORs for the non-tenured because they don't want their reputations taking a hit if the teacher being let go sucks. And if LORs are written, they are usually 1-2 sentences long. Mine being a long paragraph is excellent according to him.

4.). Avoiding discussing anything with then P until after the 2nd observation. Even after that, keep kicking the can down the road until the last possible moment.

5.). When that moment comes, tell the P that it's easier to find a job if I have a job. If I am non-renewed, I can explain this by saying the P needed someone closer to the school. It sounds a lot better than my resigning because I wanted to find a job closer to home. He said the 2nd reason would sound stupid to potential employers.

6.). He said non-renewals happen all the time. With my content areas, he says not to worry.

18. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Apr 13, 2017

BRAVO to all of this! I know a lot of it is what we've been writing, but I'll bet it's different when you're hearing it from someone in a position of wisdom and authority.

SageScience likes this.
  19. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Apr 13, 2017

Let's just say that I'm a stubborn person yet also inquisitive thus making me want to obtain facts and ideas before making decisions. It takes me a good while to learn the lesson but once I learn it, I got it. I do however sense some sarcasm in what was written above and I didn't mean harm when I questioned or wondered about my situation. So, no, if you are accusing me of saying everyone who has posted here doesn't have the wisdom or authority to make comments and I only got it after talking to the lawyer, I'm sorry. It wasn't meant to come across that way. I was trying to make sure that I could square my decision logically and realistically.

20. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Apr 13, 2017

No sarcasm at all, sir. It's right before Spring Break and my students are nuts, so I'm too tired to be anything but flat-out sincere.

21. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Apr 13, 2017

I didn't sense any sarcasm. I think what that poster meant was that you can ask 150 strangers on a message board and they say the same thing, it won't quite sound as credible when you ask a lawyer, and they say the same thing.
    This is normal, and I think it's usual human behavior. No one is blaming you for anything, we're happy that you got some good advice.

teacherintexas likes this.
  22. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Apr 13, 2017

I didn't read any sarcasm in the response, but it's hard to gauge online sometimes. Besides that, you are very invested in this situation because it's your LIFE so it's easy to misread due to emotions.

I'm glad you've gotten some good advice from someone fave to face. I hope everything turns out well.