Feelings of Inadequacy

Discussion in 'Behavior Management' started by miss tree, Sep 24, 2009.

1. miss tree

miss tree Rookie

Sep 24, 2009

x

3. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Sep 24, 2009

If she is really good at behavior management and she is in your room regularly, why not ask for her constructive critisism. She probably could give you a lot of assistance in improving your class management. It may not feel great to start with but the end result might be really beneficial.

4. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Sep 24, 2009

If you make her feel like she is a mentor to you, her attitude towards you might change.

5. BerniceBobs

BerniceBobs Comrade

Sep 26, 2009

Dear, Dear Ms. Tree:
    Everyone else has offered you some really constructive advice so I am going to tackle another angle on your queries.
    As an unemployed teacher, who has only been been an LTS and a summer school teacher, I may not be qualified to address this issue but I will do my best.
    I have many close friends who are teachers and every one of them has expressed the same insecurities to me in private. However, they would never express these insecurities to teachers with whom they work. Every one has them, even the teacher with the best behaved classroom in the school, feels they aren't measuring up in the classroom management department, however, they aren't going to tell you this! Chances are, your superteacher had the same insecurities you did in the first few years of teaching but I bet she's not willing to tell you this.
    Teachers just can't wear their hearts on their sleeves at the work place so please know you are not alone.
    Hang in there, this will come to you!

6. BerniceBobs

BerniceBobs Comrade

Sep 26, 2009

Oh hell MIss Tree, I am a career changer too. Those little whipper snappers!

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 27, 2009

Don't have her speak to your class, have her speak to YOU.

The authority has to come from you, not from someone else telling the kids to be good for you. I firmly believe that there's only so much authority in the world; each time you give a little of yours to someone else, there's less that you have left.

Ask her to work with you on establishing that persona of a person in authority.

8. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Sep 29, 2009

Try separating your feelings from factual observations. Everyone may feel inadequate at some point, but that can not be your guiding force. What did this teacher do differently? Do they use some type of motivation? Do they have a commanding voice? If you can identify what makes the difference between your approach and his/her approach, you may find the door to your own management style. If I switched to your former career, I daresay there would be younger people who had a better handle on some facets of the job. You just have to learn from anyone you can who has the expertise that you need. Don't take it personally. Given time and trial and error you will find the things that work best for you and your classes. Ask all you can from this person, but I definitely agree that you should work to discipline your own group to prevent eroding your authority. Best wishes!

9. LA/FLnewbie

LA/FLnewbie Companion

Sep 29, 2009

Hi,

Not a helpful comment, but I am also in my third year and still struggling with behavior issues and wondering if I will ever get it right -- or if I might have to become a career changer myself :(

10. HeatherY

HeatherY Habitué

Sep 29, 2009

If it helps, I am in week 2 and I feel like I am drowning!

11. Anyalee

Anyalee Companion

Oct 1, 2009

If it helps- my husband is a 1st year 1st grade teacher and I have already had to talk him out of quiting more than once! You've made it to your 3rd year- great job!!