Feelings hurt?

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by 2love2teach, Oct 20, 2006.

1. 2love2teach

2love2teach Companion

Oct 20, 2006

Should I take it personal if some of my kinder kids say that they dont like school and that they want to go home?

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 20, 2006

No, not at all. I think it translates to:

I miss my mommy.

I like the bathroom at my own house.

I miss my daddy.

I miss my toys.

I miss my dog.

I want to play with my own toys.

My tummy hurts.

It looks like rain and I'm afraid of thunder.

I think I forgot my lunch.

I'm hungry.

I keep forgetting what each letter looks like.

4. daysy_may

daysy_may Groupie

Oct 20, 2006

I have some that say that occasionally and it turns out they are tired/hungry/cranky/ we haven't had outside recess all week because of rain.

5. kidsalot

kidsalot Comrade

Oct 20, 2006

Aliceacc ,I love it!

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 20, 2006

I don't teach Kindergarten, but I do have 3 kids under 8 years old :)

7. 2love2teach

2love2teach Companion

Oct 20, 2006

Thanks Aliceacc. That helps

8. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Oct 20, 2006

Alice, that's it in a nutshell:D ;)

9. Little Critter

Little Critter Rookie

Oct 21, 2006

I'm glad this has been posted because being a first year teacher, that makes me feel bad, too when kids want to go home. It's even better when I tell them it's time to go home and they get upset :)

10. MorahMe

MorahMe Habitué

Oct 22, 2006

Last year, I had a student who constantly said she hated me...we finally figured out the pattern halfway through the year-as long as she was on good behavior and being praised, she loved me, but when I had to discipline...so, no, don't take it personally!

11. Pre-K Teacher 1

Pre-K Teacher 1 Comrade

Oct 22, 2006

Sorry to say this ...but it has to be said. Make sure your class is fun and interesting. I did my student teaching in a kindergarten class and I have to say it was BORING!!!! I was heartbroken because the kids did not want to be there and I could understand why! After the first 2 hours I was bored to TEARS! I felt so sorry for the kiddies. One little girl would say, "This is so boring!" I couldn't say anything, I just mentioned it to my academic advisor who told me to keep a lid on it and just get through the class! I did!

I know you all are not like that but for this teacher, kindergarten was not the age she wanted to teach and it showed!

12. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Oct 23, 2006

In the beggining, I had kids who were constantly asking me when it was time to go home, when it was recess time, and so forth.... Now, my kids will every now and then ask when it's lunch time or recess time, but they also say that they love me class and love school. When kids say they want to go home, it's probably one of the reasons listed above. Kids are funny. They will enjoy your class and participate in the activities, but of course they still want to see mommy and daddy at the end of their day. We're full day so it's extra long day for them. Last year, I taught half day kinder so I never had kids asking me when recess or when it was time to go home.

13. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Oct 26, 2006

No. Especially since this is their first year (probably) away from mom and dad all day/week. Of course every child rather be home, that's just reality. I wouldn't take it personally at all.

14. Ms.MB

Ms.MB Rookie

Oct 26, 2006

Wow...how weird that I stumbled across this thread today. Some of my kids were asking if it was time to go home and one in particular said he didn't even want to afternoon centers. This hasn't really happened since I started 3 weeks ago. I got upset about it and I admit I did not react too well to their questioning. It just sort of hurt my feelings....:eek:

15. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 26, 2006

Kids who say they're bored, have not learned to entertain themselves. They cannot think of a thing to do because they want someone else to do it for them. That is sad. These children are never going to get anywhere if they are saying they are bored at such an early age. Tell them they better get "unbored" real fast or they might as well take a nap. Don't fall for it. The word BORED is not allowed in my room.

16. diro.pams

diro.pams Companion

Oct 29, 2006

I find that comment occurs early in the year. But I communicate regularly the following points:
    -school is fun!
    -you are a big Kindergarten kid now, not a baby who stays at home
    -students only stay at home when they are sick, but not to watch TV or go to WalMart
    -you are important and we would miss you if you stayed home
    -look what we get to do today, aren't you proud, just think if you stayed home, you would miss this!

We go over these points in an enthusiastic manner everyday, and pretty soon, those home bodies are buying into it. Yes, there's got to be fun interspersed throughout the day. The rest of the time, kids need to take pride in what a "smart learner" they have become.

17. K3instructor

K3instructor Rookie

Nov 3, 2006

Dont feel bad

No dont the child is in kindergarten maybe the child did not experience preschool. It may be going through an okward stage!

18. 2love2teach

2love2teach Companion

Nov 4, 2006

Thanks

Thanks everyone for their comments. My kids actually stopped saying that they wanted to go home. Now some are sad that they have to go home,. Some even tell that they love school. So its better, but I do have another problem. Please read it in my new thread titled Too easy?!?