Feeling WAY overwhelmed

Discussion in 'General Education' started by waterfall, Sep 22, 2011.

1. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Sep 22, 2011

3. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Sep 23, 2011

what's up waterfall?

4. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Sep 23, 2011

hope you feel better

5. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Sep 23, 2011

Sorry, had a long post here but decided it had way too much personal information about co-workers. I don't think any of them are on here, but I just thought it wasn't a good idea and couldn't figure out how to delete the topic all together. Without going into a whole bunch, I've just gotten SO many responsibilities this year that I feel should really be done by admin, including being in charge of other staff members and being in charge of making a lot of big decisions for the whole staff. We have two new title 1 teachers this year since we got some extra funding- one was previously an art teacher and doesn't know the first thing about reading and the other has reading experience, but simply can't adjust to the way things work at our school, and the responsibility of "carrying" them has fallen totally on me, meaning I'm doing a lot of their work, as well as work from the middle school special ed, when I have my own caseload of 21 kids to handle. Just with my caseload alone I already don't even have time for a lunch/planning every day- I just feel like the 2nd year is supposed to be easier yet I am SO much more stressed than any point of last year already.

6. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Sep 23, 2011

I am sorry you are feeling so overwhelmed, but sounds like you have been put into a position that would overwhelm many people. And please don't take this the wrong way, that's an awful big responsibility for a 2nd year teacher.

Is your admin aware these two teachers are having difficulties? Could you possibly suggest they receive some additional PD or mentoring from someone other than you?

7. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 23, 2011

I'm so sorry about the stress of this year. It shouldn't be like this your second year.

8. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 24, 2011

So sorry about you being overwhelmed! I sure hope things get better! I'll be feeling this too for the next few yrs. :dizzy:

9. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Sep 25, 2011

They know, and yet keep referring them to me. The problem is, I'm the only one in the building that has any intervention background at all, so there is literally no one else that could help mentor them. There is a middle school special ed teacher, but without going into detail she flat out doesn't do her job, and my admin literally looked at me last year and said they thought she just didn't know what to do and would "pick it up" through working with me. So even though I know nothing about middle school and this teacher has been there for almost 10 years, she's suddenly my responsibility as well. We don't have PD that focuses solely on intervention- this is something I've often been frustrated with myself. My district requires TONS of PD (we have to go into school 90 minutes early once a week, every week, for PD), but it's always based on gen ed classrooms and is never relevant to me at all (nor will it be to these two title 1 teachers). The former art teacher is a close friend, so that makes things a little harder too. I want to help her, and I know she's a great teacher, she just doesn't know anything about reading. The other teacher was previously a reading coach so you'd think she'd know a lot, but she takes issue with anything I tell her because "that's not how we did it at my old school." She also seriously can't really even use a computer, and a lot of our data and such is done through online programs, so even explaining the simplest thing takes FOREVER to walk her through it, and then she spends half the time aruging with me about what kind of data to take, etc. I'm also totally in charge of RtI this year for both lower school and upper school, which is a ton of work especially since again, no one else in the building has any knowledge around it and I have to do a TON of extra work. It also really should be led by a gen ed teacher, but none of them know anything about it. We also took a paycut this year, and I'm really worried about money. Last year I had a 2nd job, but with all my extra work this year I'm barely managing to finish this job, much less take on a 2nd one. It would start in October and I'm still deciding- it's 2 hours after school so that would mean my "contracted hours" would be 8 am-6 pm BEFORE I do any extras outside of the school day such as planning, grading, IEPs, etc. I don't see how I could manage it, but I also don't see how I could manage it without the extra money with the cuts we took.

10. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Sep 25, 2011

I would suggest that you start documenting your day waterfall and present it to your admin. after a couple of weeks. Ask them to help you "manage" your time, so that you can get everything done.

11. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Sep 25, 2011

Proud has a good suggestion!
    My suggestion is to ask that you run your own 90 minute PD/meetings for these people so you can skip out on the stuff that doesn't pertain and cut down on some of your extra hours. I would guess that some of it is general info, so maybe 1 week out of the month they cover that and you all go to that or the first 30 minutes of each meething would be general info and then they could release you to run your own RtI/sped workshop or whatever they want to call it.

12. Mellz Bellz

Mellz Bellz Comrade

Sep 27, 2011

I agree that is insane amount of responsibility for a 2nd year teacher! I mean I'm also a second year teacher and there are still questions that I have related to Special Ed paperwork and things of that nature.

If you are the most knowledgable person in your building what about within your district? Do you have a district head of Special Ed that you can speak to about this? Is ikt possible to hook up some of these inexperienced teachers with other more experienced teachers in district which may take some stress off of you? Is it possible that the Special Ed department can offer it's own PD? It sounds like a lot of the teachers you work with can use it.