Feeling Very Letdown

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by KinderCowgirl, Dec 14, 2011.

1. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Dec 14, 2011

Parents, parents, parents! I really used to be loved by my parents. I looped with my last class and they were begging me to move up with their kids again. I do monthly activities to invite them in the class to see their kids perform in some way. I hand-write thank you's for attending meetings or Open Houses, mail thank-yous to their houses for Christmas gifts (I made this an annual tradition after one parent told me her daughter slept with my card for 3 days she was so excited). Maintain a website with tons of pics of the kids and their work, create and send home copies of class books showcasing the masterpieces their babies have written--I'm telling you, usually I'm a hit-ah, the good old days! This year it seems I can't do anything right when it comes to pleasing parents.

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Dec 14, 2011

I would be pretty let down by my administration as well. But honestly, if the student was moved to another class, it's probably for the best for all parties. Parents who are happier and definitely not bothering you anymore.

That said, I would still talk with my administration tomorrow just to hear the details of the situation.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Dec 14, 2011

I agree, and I'm sorry that this happened. :(

5. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Dec 14, 2011

That's horrible that you had to find out like that, and that your admin is cutting you out of the loop. I bet there are a lot of parents who are satisfied with you. Try not to focus only on the negative...you're not being fair to yourself.

6. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Dec 14, 2011

I know teachers who have had this happen to them...If it were me, I would definitely take it personally (I tend to do that) and be upset, so I understand. How frustrating that they didn't even talk to you about it-especially administration!

As others have mentioned, the good thing is that they are now someone else's problem. I have learned the following about parents:
    1. Some will NEVER be happy. You can bend over backward for their child, and they will look for any little potentially negative thing about you and complain.
    2. Some people are CRAZY!
    3. Some people will never realize that their child is at fault, has behavior problems, or may have a disability. They think their child is perfect and a genius.

7. Mrs.DLC

Mrs.DLC Comrade

Dec 15, 2011

I agree, DP. I taught many, many years with no major parent issues. The last few years I have noticed more in our school. Parent requests aren't helpful, in my opinion. I have had a few that made the request and were unhappy because I won't cater, give "feel good" grades, etc. I try to be fair, honest,firm, and consistent, yet flexible. So, I tell staff exactly that if they say they want their child in my room. Personally, I would be glad the child moved. It is hard to not be hurt, but you can't please everyone and if administration isn't backing you it's tough. Hope things go well for you!!Enjoy your break, Kinder.

8. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Dec 15, 2011

Thanks guys! I know you are right and it's going to be less stressful with the kid, well, really the parent in another class. I should definitely look at that as the bright side.

Logically, I know you can't please everyone (DP that was a great breakdown-all new teachers should see that)--I would just like to be the one who does. ;)

9. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Dec 15, 2011

Your admin. definitely had a responsibility to bring you into that meeting and, if nothing else, inform you that they were going to put her in another class. You are a great teacher. Don't let this parent make you doubt that.

10. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Dec 15, 2011

I am sorry that happened. I don't understand why the principal wouldn't tell you first??

but, it is probably best for all concerned. Maybe it wasn't even you, maybe it was that the parents just wanted another teacher, or that the kid was being bullied or left out or overwhelmed (isn't yours a gifted class?).

I am sure you are a fantastic teacher. Some parents though, perhaps are looking for something else. You know, I am about to move my daughter into a new class, and I know that lots of the kids in her current class LOVE the teacher, she just didn't work for me.

11. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Dec 15, 2011

My P said she'd talk to me today, but I know she was busy with our programs and everything. I just really want to know what the official reason was-then maybe I can learn from the experience a little bit.

I told the kids today to make holiday cards for whomever they wanted today and about 10 of them made one for me saying how wonderful I was!:wub: I sent personalized notes home to all the parents with a list of things I just adore about their children. Hopefully no more will jump ship-I just know parents talk and when one is unhappy a teacher can develop a reputation-deserved or not. And I know sometimes it's just not a good fit-it just feels like you've failed in some way. I wish we could have sat down and at least attempted a solution. The kids in the class miss her.

Thanks again for your kind words. Luckily tomorrow is our last day before a nice long break when I can recuperate a little bit from the wounds.

12. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Dec 15, 2011

I so get it. I've been having parent issues the last couple of days. Yesterday, a parent called to complain that her child had a bathroom accident after nap & I didn't smell it for 2 hours. We had a meeting this morning. Parent had calmed down, & I explained her child didn't ask, had the opportunity to go & didn't take it. Last hour of the day my class had a special, I think that's when it happened.

Than today I get an email from my P telling me that he had arranged a meeting with a parent & him on Monday. This parent has a habit of not telling me that she has a concern & goes straight to the P. Guess I'll find out tomorrow what the meeting is all about.

But, come on parents, talk to the teacher before calling administration!

13. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Dec 15, 2011

This has got to be difficult because admin and the parents didn't communicate to you the reason behind the change. This leaves you guessing. Children often complain about a class as much about their classmates as they do the teacher. It is possible the parents really like you and think life will be better for Johnny with different peers in another classroom. As hard as it is, try not to jump to conclusions. You need to see if admin can help you out in finding out why the child moved. I think you deserve an explanation.