Feeling Used

Discussion in 'P.E. Teachers' started by PEdance, Jul 10, 2012.

1. PEdance

PEdance Rookie

Jul 10, 2012

I was wondering if any other PE teachers are feeling this way. I love teaching PE and I know I do a good job at it. I've worked hard over the years to build up my experiences and get my credential. However, the truth is many districts think anyone can teach PE. I have seen several jobs in my state for PE Paraprofessionals. They want to pay you as a para, but have you work like a real PE teacher. (And yes, they want you to have a full PE credential) Many of them only offer part-time positions so basically you get no insurance and benefits.

Another job I saw (although at a charter) was for a full time PE position with a monthly salary of $1,200.

I guess I am just a little depressed about how some districts are trying to short change teachers. I worked hard to finish my credential and hope to find a full time job in my subject area that I can actually live on.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 10, 2012

There's less openings for PE teachers than other Ed positions so there's a bit of a glut of PE teachers...some are willing to ke te lower pay for experience and to get a foot (sneaker?:haha:) in the door.. In my district/state, PE teachers get paid on the same scale as other teachers (although my governor thinks They shouldn't be:dizzy:)...keep your head up...could you supplement your income with coaching?

4. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 10, 2012

Hi, PEdance!

Where in CA are you located? Here in Central California, we're letting go of lots of PE teachers. My district, in particular, used to have 16 middle school PE teachers (four teachers at each of the four middle schools). One teacher was laid off at each site, so class sizes next year will be upwards of 50-60 students. That'll be crazy.

Have you kept your eye on EdJoin.org? Are you willing to move outside of your area of CA for a job?

I'm sooooo sorry you're going through this!!! :hugs:

5. PEdance

PEdance Rookie

Jul 10, 2012

Yep, I'm in Central California:)

I am willing to move anywhere in the US to get a job. I have been applying all over the state. I have even started applying out of state, although most states want you to have have their state credential as well. That makes it really pricey since I would have to take different exams. I am just finishing up certification for Arizona, so hopefully that will give me more options.

I do coach and teach aerobics, pilates, and dance on the side. It all helps, but they are all part-time jobs so no benefits and not always consistent. I'm also adding a certification for K-12 health, although those jobs have disappeared too. I'm trying to stay positive, but sometimes it's difficult.

6. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 10, 2012

Do you have any coaching specialties and a core subject credential? I don't know if you are male or female, but there aren't many female coaches applying for positions in my area and those hiring have bemoaned that fact.

7. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jul 10, 2012

For the sake of fairness and context it was in declaring that Math and Science teachers should be paid the most (more than Gym Teachers) because they are the hardest slots to fill.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 10, 2012

In direct response to a STEM question, Christie followed up by saying: "We have to incentivize people to become science and math teachers. We gotta pay them more."

And then, he dropped the "in today's society, they're more valuable than the gym teacher" quote.

I'm SO SURE knowing the context makes the OP feel so much better.:crosseyed

9. lbradley1718

lbradley1718 Comrade

Jul 29, 2012

I'm sorry...it's really unfortunate. My district highers PE/Dance "Hourly Lecturers". The salary is right between a para/TA and a teacher.

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 29, 2012

:(

11. BumbleB

BumbleB Habitué

Jul 29, 2012

And this is at a time when child obesity rates are the highest that they've ever been. If anything, we should be hiring more and expecting more out of our PE teachers! :2cents:

12. novaguy1968

novaguy1968 MS English Educator

Jul 29, 2012

PED

I don't have experience with that, but it's similar to ESL--many think that anyone can just teach ESL--if you speak English, that should be enough. That of course couldn't be further from the truth.

13. cmw

cmw Groupie

Jul 29, 2012

The bad news is that it is not just PE. Often anything not tested is viewed as less important. At a district near me they cut PE, art, music, and library from all the elementary schools. All that you can do is make sure your district sees the importance of your craft. I make sure I invite district admin. to all my concerts. I send pictures of concerts & events to admin for the website. Promote yourself and what you do for students. :D

14. hatima

hatima Devotee

Jul 30, 2012

I have seen so many great PE teachers over the past several years. Ones who teach kids to be active. I'd be so upset if I learned the district was treating them so poorly.

15. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jul 30, 2012

I'm sorry you're going through this. The PE Paraprofessional thing sounds extremely sleazy. You might be able to bring this to the attention of the Union, and get some opinions on it from them.

Interestingly enough, in the Bay Area, all of my newly credentialed PE Teacher friends got hired very quickly. (Before most of even the math and science teachers.) So I think it depends on where you are. Good luck. =]

16. PEteacher07

PEteacher07 Cohort

Aug 5, 2012

Agreed! In the state of Texas, we have a mandate of 135 minutes of phys ed a week so I see my kids often. I take an entire grade level so while the kids are at PE with me, their teachers are getting planning time together so it's a win-win-win b/c I get to see my kids, they get to come to PE everyday and get their crazies out, and their teachers have time to get things done.

If it weren't for that mandate, I would imagine the district would start making PE teachers travel inbetween schools to save money. But we are still paid what a regular teacher is paid. I think to be paid less than that is terrible since PE teachers have certification exams to pass and they aren't any easier than other certification exams.

My school is a little larger so we still have full time art and music teachers. Other smaller schools in my district do have traveling art and music teachers but at least the programs aren't cut.

Something I personally believe of a physical educator and an extremely active person. To say it plainly "It doesn't matter how smart you are if you are dead b/c you didn't take care of yourself."

Really? A question I would ask your governor. "Do you realize that people who are obese tend to be sicker, go to the hospital more often, and miss more work than people who are at a healthier weight?"

Those exercise and diet habits start in childhood which is why good PE teachers are so important to a child's all around education experience.

17. burgandy01

burgandy01 Rookie

Sep 25, 2015

I'm the proof in the pudding. I'm a PE Para and don't even make half what the teacher makes. Funny thing is---the kids can't tell which coach is the 'head' coach because I do 'everything' they do (except grade and turn in lesson plans). Well, if you're a PE teacher you know that planning and grading are not the hardest aspects of PE.
    Oh, and while they get their planning time I only get a 30 min. lunch break. So yeah, I give just as much instruction and probably do even more of the classroom management.

Saying it's sleazy is a complete understatement.

P.S. 90 kinders with only two of us ---tell me I'm not underpaid!!!

18. PatTm

PatTm Rookie

Sep 29, 2015

My state keeps salaries equal across the board for union jobs basically, but many public schools find ways to get around state and national standards. My positions the first 3 years out of school were always part-time than cut when funding was restructured . I've worked at two different private schools the last 2+ years. My old school paid 10k below public school min (28K year before taxes) and treated the subject like recess. I was fortunate enough to land a much better job in June. If that hadn't happened I'm not sure where I'd be now career wise.