Feeling stressed out

Discussion in 'General Education' started by lucybelle, Jun 3, 2013.

1. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Jun 3, 2013

Today I was feeling so stressed out and I couldn't really figure out why. It's not any one thing that's really stressing me out. It's a lot of little things.

My English class. *ugh* I've complained many a time here about it. And even with all you guys's great input and suggestions I'm still struggling. I spend way, WAY more time planning for English than any other class. And I think it's really taking away from the quality of my other classes. I decided to do a horror fiction unit but it takes forever for me to find the stories, read through them, decide what to do with them, then actually get them printed and copied. Ugh.

My 7th and 8th grade biology classes. Shouldn't be taking biology in those grades, right? Right. Well we finally agreed the material I was teaching (straight up 10th grade biology) was too hard. We decided to do something else, but I still don't have the copies of the book pages I need! So I've been making stuff up with 7th grade and have kept going with biology in 8th grade. (asked for the copies two weeks ago)

Exams are two weeks away. I have no idea how I'm going to make an English exam. I mean we spent one week wrapping up R&J. Then the next week I spent doing pre-Treasure Island activities. The week after that I continued with Treasure Island stuff and then never got the books. Today I started on "horror" but I only have today, Wednesday and three classes next week to get enough content to make an exam out of that. Maybe lots of vocabulary and writing? I have no idea. Learning to teach English is WAY harder than learning to teach elementary. I also won't have enough content for my 7th graders since we've been switching topics so much. *sigh*

Exams being two weeks away also means I need to WRITE the freaking things. Writing 7 exams is no easy feat.

The physics/chemistry teacher wants me to take time to do an inventory of all the lab equipment we got. Which is a really good idea and very important, but goodness gracious I just feel like I have no time to get it done.

The science fair is coming up which always stresses me out. I'm the main science teacher (4th-9th grades) so I have to personally approve each and every science fair project. One of the directors gave me a book to show the kids and she wants me to have them pick experiments out of the book. For the older kids they have to come up with their own experiment. And this year she's talking about letting them use class time to work on it! No way!

Tomorrow is a day without classes when the parents come in to pick up grades. So I've been trying to schedule all the parents and they all want to come at the same time and it's been hectic trying to get everyone in. During my breaks tomorrow without parents I'm planning on starting with the exams.

We still haven't been paid (due again on Wednesday) and the teacher morale is down in general.

My husband is taking differential equations and is really struggling. I'm asking around at school to see if someone knows a tutor. He's been smoking more than usual.

*woo saaaa* It could always be worse, right?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 3, 2013

Eek...:hugs:

4. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Jun 3, 2013

I hate feeling like I'm not doing the best job I can. I want to be the best teacher I can and I'm just not able to with all the issues going on at the school. I want my classes to be great, not mediocre. *sigh*

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 3, 2013

The school climate is making things harder for you...you can only do so much and it seems you're dancing as fast as you can....

6. msufan

msufan Comrade

Jun 3, 2013

That's legit stress right there.

7. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 3, 2013

Until December, right? It helps me to remind myself that I can do anything for x amount of time.

8. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Jun 3, 2013

Isn't that the truth? I'm working with small goals first though- right now trying to make it to our 3 week "winter" break in July.

Also thinking that this has got to look good on a resume- teaching things that I have 0 experience in. I'll definitely have an answer when they say in an interview "Tell me about a challenging experience and how you overcame it"

Thanks guys for the words of support. It really means a lot.:blush:

9. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jun 4, 2013

You might be able to find some useful textbook pages in the CK-12 series for your biology classes. It's a series of free digital textbooks, and it's really cool! It has both Life Science (more for middle school) and Biology (high school) text books.

Try to take a break, drink some wine and relax. ;3