Feeling so... disappointed.

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by trayums, Sep 4, 2010.

1. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Sep 4, 2010

Happy New Year everyone!
    I know this is going to come across as complainy... Perhaps it's just a vent.
    Let me just give a little background before I get into my disappointment. It might have something to do with it. Last year was a very very draining and hard year for my grade level. A LOT... I mean... A LOT of needs (more than normal etc.) very tricky behavior challenges etc. Made it through and ended up having a better year than it could have been...
    I am also 4 months pregnant. Having the baby in late February. I am definitely more emotional, more exhausted and have a way shorter fuse than I have ever had...
    Okay- fast forward to this year...
    We just finished our first week of school and at the end of it, all I can feel is disappointed and upset. I think I had geared myself up for a year that was going to be different and for lack of a better word, easier (yah I know!) than last.
    SO not the case. This class is already pushing the limits and I in return have to be Mrs. Grumpo! I hate it! Yesterday I had four boys and a girl touching private parts while in line. I have a parent who wants to move their child out of my class (not because of me) because their daughter only has one girl from her k class in my class this year. They sent me a "lovely" email yesterday requesting a meeting at 6:00pm one day next week. WHAT???? Apparently she is going home crying after school each day and mom and dad want to talk to me about it and also get to "know me personally". Really? Ummm.. yah I don't want to be their friend!!! Daughter is fine in school. She came in crying yesterday and I said good morning, lets wipe off those tears, we're going to have a great day. Now, go to your locker and put your things away. When she came back in, she wasn't crying and had what seemed to me, to be a nice day. Mom and Dad wrote that she is only focusing on the negative when she comes home. Umm... she's 5!
    I have a child who the school has described to me as "a ticking time bomb". GREAT! I feel like I am walking on eggshells wondering what might set this little guy off.
    I am exhausted. Keep going into school at 7:15am and dont' leave until 7;00pm because anal me can't seem to leave before I am totally ready for the next day etc. I am working so hard with them to anchor behavoirs and they just don't seem to be getting it. They talk whenever they feel like it and then I feel like I am being the most awful teacher because I have to nip it in the bud.
    We had a first grade community building activity yesterday where we were ALL together and all three other classes were sitting SO nicely, quietly, listening, involved... and then there was my group of cherubs.
    I feel like over the summer... I totally forgot how to plan. Ugh! Does that make any sense?
    I am not sure if I am asking a question in this post, looking for advice or just venting.
    In any case, thank you so much for reading if you made it this far! :)

3. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Sep 4, 2010

:hugs: I have no specific advice for your class, but please, please take care of yourself and take some time for yourself to just relax.

4. jday129

jday129 Comrade

Sep 4, 2010

Here's a hug for you.

5. ITeach4Him

ITeach4Him Comrade

Sep 4, 2010

I know exactly what you mean! It sounded as though you were describing my class! The behavior of the kids is taking a toll on our team as well. I have no words of wisdom for you, but wanted you to know you have understanding ears here! I'm desperately praying that things settle down as I begin my third week of school next week. Saying a little prayer for you...

6. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Sep 4, 2010

The first few weeks are always really tough. Keep in mind that these first graders are really still kindergartners! It's always hard for me to remember. I want to compare my new kids to where my kids were at the end of the year (since that is my most recent memory), but that's not fair to the new ones. Your kids need time to adjust to the new routines and procedures, but they will eventually get there! :) Hang in there!

7. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 4, 2010

Okay, the meeting at six? No. I'll say no more.

Moving on. I feel you in your need to be perfectly prepared for the following day and how that drains you. I am that way as well, and I'm working on being perfectly prepared but accomplishing that in far few hours. Other teachers do it, and some are good teachers...but I feel those who spend minimal time at school are not fully embracing the various "things" we are supposed to. They're the ones not buying into Program A, or turning in Request One to the office, and the ones doing very little as far as modifications and differentiating. So…I’m constantly working to find a balance.

I also had a horrible class last year and the grade itself was overall bad, bad, bad...and I, too, pumped myself up this year. It will be great! This year will rock! I love, love, love what I do! And then reality set in. It’s not going to be all rainbows and butterflies, and it never will be. Okay, that probably doesn't come across as I hope it to because I do love my career...I'm just saying I don't know why I dreamt all summer for a storybook perfect year when of course there will be little bumps...and those are okay. Okay, I'm not making sense. Must. Get. Chocolate. This. Morning. :)

Best wishes to you. Keep posting and we'll help you along the way! :hugs:

8. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Sep 4, 2010

Thank you so much!!!!! It does help immensly to know I am not alone. Teaching can be sooo isolating sometimes!

9. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Sep 4, 2010

:yeahthat: My first thought too! Even though you may be at school until 7 pm, I wouldn't recommend meeting with parents after school hours when there are no other staff around. I wouldn't recommend meeting with upset parents if there wouldn't be an administrator available if needed.

Good luck this year trayums and take care of your baby!:hugs:

10. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Sep 4, 2010

Thanks everyone. You are all so right. Of course, I do forget how very young they are and how they are still k kids at heart. I need a new mantra for the year...
    "Stay positive, it will be fine. Stay positive, it will be fine!" :)

11. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Sep 4, 2010

:) I definitely already emailed back that I am unavailable at 6:00pm but would be happy to meet with them before school or after school or during my prep time. blech!

12. tgim

tgim Habitué

Sep 4, 2010

You are going to get them there! They will make it. Try to focus on one thing each week instead of trying to take it all on each day. If talking out is a problem, discuss it with them to get them to buy into the fact that they are a family this year and they have to treat each other respectfully.

Remain calm...and let go of what you can. I save filing for one day. We plan together during our team meetings on Tuesdays. I print what I can from the computer directly to the printer. I use a star or check mark for daily work - just giving it a quick look to sort out any problems or reteaching that might be needed.

Go home before 7! You need time away, too.

(Confession time: Yes, that was my car in the parking lot until 8:45 last night...yes, on a Friday...and yes, I came home with 3 sets of homework and 3 sets of tests still to check...:eek: )

13. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Sep 4, 2010

I'm kinda happy that we are kicked out of our school at 4:45 pm every day. I'm in an old school and we can only be there for 1 hour during non-school hours due to the old boiler system we have, so going in on the weekends is a waste of time. I do know that if we were able to stay after hours, I would at least 3 times/week :whistle:.

14. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Sep 4, 2010

Along with scheduling that meeting during the school day, not during your personal time, please invite an administrator.

15. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Sep 4, 2010

I asked the psychologist who spoke with mom numerous times last year to join me. She will. That is IF we can schedule it for a humane time.

16. Yank7

Yank7 Habitué

Sep 4, 2010

I think you are a very dedicated teacher who really wants to do the best for their children.That said, I think you might be overdoing it.Do you really have to stay until7 every night?. You need to think of yourself,and provide some enjoyment for yourself.
    Teaching is a difficult profession and no class is perfect,The other teachers on your grade also deal with problems,believe me. Don't blame yourself for everything that happens in the classroom.
    Go over the rules again and demonstrate what each rule means,act it out. and reward and praise the class or individuals when they do the right thing.
    Good luck,have faith in yourself and don't be afraid to ask your fellow teachers for ideas and advice
    I would tell the parents that you can only meet with them during school time,lunch ,prep,and not after the school day is over,also assure them their child is adjusting to class and try to see if their is someone in the class she can become friendly with.

17. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Sep 4, 2010

Thanks Yank. She has already made friends and ended up knowing quite a few children from K. However, she goes home and cries most days. Granted we have only had 4 days of school so far. I think the parents are really feeding into her crying etc. I feel like if they approached school and this experience of getting to know new kids in a positive way, she probably would exhibit for positive behaviors for them. I have no trouble with her at school (yet) and she seems very happy when she is there. ugh... oh well... hopefully all will be well.
    We have open house on Sept. 15th and that is when I typically tell the parents when I am available for meetings and the best way to get in touch with me etc.
    :)

18. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Sep 4, 2010

ps. :) I don't have to stay at school that late but then I will go home and worry that I am not prepared and am falling behind because I haven't gotten it all done. I hope as the year goes on (as it usually happens) I will be more able t leave earlier. For now, I would stress about not being set...

19. Starista

Starista Cohort

Sep 4, 2010

Hi there Trayums!!

I could have written your post -- especially the part about being 4 months pregnant... am also due in February and am much more exhausted and irritable!!!

So much of the first month of school is routine and procedure.. especially for our little ones!!

Wishing it gets easier for us both!

20. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Sep 5, 2010

Congratulations Starista!!!! I have never been so tired in my life! lol
    You are so right about the routines and procedures. I have to keep remembering to SLOWWWWWWWW down!!!

Will you be out from Feb. until the end of the year or going back this year at some point?
    My principal doesn't want me to tell my parents until I am sure of what I am doing. The problems are that #1 I am starting to show and #2 I am not sure what I am doing yet. Ugh!
    Thanks for your support and I DO wish you an easier time as well.