Feeling sad

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Rainbowbird, Aug 4, 2012.

1. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Aug 4, 2012

I am getting this sinking feeling that it's not going to happen this year.

I have an interim job lined up from oct--dec but really was hoping I wouldn't need to do it.

I have several active apps out that I would expect to hear from by end of next week at the latest if I am going to get an interview.

Trying to stay busy this weekend but the gloomy mood has got me down.

Had a friend visiting from out of state all day but she just left and now it's hard to get my mind of the whole employment thing. I have never had trouble landing a teaching job before. It feels humiliating. My husband says it is the economy and I know he's right, but there is still that feeling that I should have been able to get a contract.

Thanks for the pity party. I know Alice would say to go eat some ice cream, and I definitely will after my kids go to bed! (they already had ice cream today!)

3. JamieB11

JamieB11 Companion

Aug 4, 2012

I'm sorry you're feeling down. I'm feeling the same way myself. I don't really know what to do at this point.

*hugs*

4. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Aug 4, 2012

Thanks, Jamie. I don't know, either. It's going to be a tough next couple of weeks. I keep telling myself that if it doesn't happen, make lemonade with lemons: sub, do what I can to advance my career, and enjoy the time spent with family and focusing on my children and house...

But, after all this work, it's sure going to be a disappointment if I don't land something!

Hang in there...we will get through this...there is still hope!

5. acl1974

acl1974 Companion

Aug 4, 2012

I am sending you big hugs. I understand how you're feeling. I see a job posting, get excited and send out all my materials, contact principals and wait. I am super excited every time I see a new posting, but then crash when I don't even get an interview. I know it's the economy, but it is sooooo hard to stay positive.
    I am going to have to make some big decisions about my life if nothing happens for me by the beginning of school. I need to get into a school in some capacity even if its volunteer tutoring to keep my resume current. I have a full time job in another field and may have to consider going part time so that I can at least sub some. It will make money so tight though that we might not make it. It will be a tough decision. I worry I am chasing an impossible dream sometimes. I will keep fighting though and hope I get into a classroom someday.

6. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Aug 4, 2012

It's definitely the economy! Some districts want teachers and are willing to pay for them (experience, degrees, etc) and other districts aren't willing to pay for teachers so they want newbies.

It's definitely hardest if you fall in between: a little experience, but not enough.

7. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 4, 2012

:hugs: I was in your position a few years ago so I know exactly how you feel. That job will come. It's not the same thing, but I am looking for another job that would be a promotion and had a job in my hand but lost it because the director was getting two different stories from the state regarding certification.

8. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Aug 4, 2012

Hang in there. I got hired the Friday of Labor Day Weekend.

9. acl1974

acl1974 Companion

Aug 4, 2012

God Bless You!!! These are the stories that keep me going.

10. ammyers626

ammyers626 Rookie

Aug 4, 2012

Big hugs. I know how you feel. I am going into my second year as a TA. Most TA's in my district have been hired after 2 years but I just hate having to wait. Some friends in other districts have been able to get a job without having to sub or be a TA so it's hard to hear them post about setting up their classrooms when I don't have one. I'm in a small district so I'm wondering if I should move to another district close by that is much bigger and usually has more positions posted. It's so hard to know what is best. The economy is terrible. I know you are doing everything you can to get a job so just keep up the hard work and I hope we all hear great news soon!

11. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 5, 2012

I was hired a week into the school year. School started on Tuesday and I got the call for an interview on Friday morning. I was offered the job on Friday night, spent Monday observing the sub who was teaching the class, and hit the ground running on Tuesday.

12. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 5, 2012

Make sure that you are staying active in the job hunt. Making cold calls with resume in hand worked for several of our new teachers over the past few years. We just had a kinder teacher quit and I will be interviewing this upcoming week. We went through two different sets of scores of teachers to determine our 6 candidates. In my district, the teachers take an Insight test and another before they are considered for an interview. My principal chose candidates that scored within a certain range because it showed that they like children, play well with others, and are flexible. The resumes all looked good. I chose the final 6 candidates based on those resumes. Out of the 6 candidates, 3 are brand new teachers. Out of those 3 teachers, all 3 had submitted their resume both online through the application process, but also directly to my P with a note of consideration. Somebody will have a job very soon at my school. It can happen for you if you are keep at it. You should be looking online everyday, making cold calls even when you think a school has no openings, and sending P's resumes. You have the power to find that job. There are still jobs to be had out there. There are teachers that have to relocate, that have a change in careers, that decide that they cannot leave the new baby, etc. It happens all the time!

13. JBteach

JBteach Companion

Aug 5, 2012

Everything will work out. Just trust in that you will have the perfect job soon enough. I know what you are going through. This marks my 11th year as a teacher. However I had to move a handful of times due to my husbands job. This is going to be my 4th year looking for a teaching position. I have been fortunate enough to have done long-term positions but am in still search in having my own classroom again.

14. Johari's Window

Johari's Window Companion

Aug 5, 2012

I just realized that I will have to do this process again and again, someday.:help: Which is a reason I was given on my first interview for not being a sure winner for the position. No longevity. Among other reasons (like the position was filled before it was ever posted..lol. Honesty is great!):rolleyes:

15. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 5, 2012

:hugs: to all of you.

16. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 5, 2012

There is still hiring that needs to be done. I am interviewing a candidate for a kinder position next week. There are still openings and most P's want them filled as quickly as possible. Hang in there!

17. Jlyn07

Jlyn07 Comrade

Aug 5, 2012

School starts in September up here and I wasn't hired until October last year. There is always hope! It just takes one : )

18. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Aug 6, 2012

So you are hiring all new teachers? I have eight years of exp. and sometimes I think I'm not getting as many interviews as I used to because I am so expensive.

I have applied everywhere. Cold calling is frowned on around here, and most districts won't take paper applications.

I got a job in late August when I was a recent colllege grad so I know it happens....rarely..thanks for the encouragement though!

19. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Aug 6, 2012

Start checking when schools have their big registration dates. Many schools are waiting for these numbers before hiring some teachers as they want to avoid hiring the extra teacher if they can. However, because they are waiting, they will need to hire quickly if the numbers show a need. So it's best to send a quick e-mail to the principals right after the registration period so that you can be considered for the fast process.

20. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 6, 2012

We are interviewing 3 brand new teachers and 3 experienced teachers. I always tend to want to hire the teachers with experience. For the last few years though, I end up hiring a new teacher because that person is more up to date on current trends in education and is current on the practices that our district uses at any given time. I basically go in the interview now looking for the best fit for my school or the interviewing school that I am on a panel for. We recently hired a lady with 15 years of experience. Pay was never a consideration. She just happened to be very knowledgeable, very current, and understood the mission and direction that our district was moving. It was a great fit for our 4th grade team!:love:

21. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 6, 2012

This is absolutely true. :D

22. TeachTN

TeachTN Comrade

Aug 6, 2012

HUGS Rainbow!! I'm in the same boat. I took the weekend off from doing anything job related because I was so depressed about not having a job, plus some other personal news that hit that got me down too.

This morning I walked in a reference form for my former cooperating teacher to fill out. It was tough to walk into the school, see the asst principal, know that teachers were there for inservice (students come in on Wednesday), and know that I was only there for a brief moment and not to get my classroom ready, etc.

I am continuing with my Masters, albeit slowly so that I do not have my Masters when I am hired, and I interview today to tutor at my college. Along with subbing, I hope that education and tutoring may help me for next hiring season.

23. kmeteach

kmeteach Companion

Aug 6, 2012

I also feel sad, I wasn't expecting to be cut from my last teaching job, and there's always a chance they'll rehire me right beforte school starts....but as summer gets closer to the end, I get more anxious and feel hopeless. I feel like there are no opportunities anywhere in my state.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2012
  24. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 6, 2012

The interim job is a resume and experience builder...it could lead to other opportunities. Embrace this...shine!

25. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Aug 6, 2012

That's good to know! I found out that one district wasn't hiring anyone beyond step one on the pay scale. Of course this isn't publicized--I found out from a teacher on the committee. Good to know there are some districts still willing to pay for experience!

26. bet3

bet3 Companion

Aug 7, 2012

School started today in the district where I was laid off. It has really got me down. I had an interview in another district last night, but I haven't heard anything and I just don't have a good feeling about it. I am trying to get back into Americorps and tutor, but I can't even get the person I need to talk to about it to call me back! It is frustrating that I worked as hard as I did to get my certification and no job to show for it. It really hurts not being in the classroom, both personally and financially.

27. tosha27

tosha27 Rookie

Aug 7, 2012

I'm in the same boat. School is starting back this week and I was not offered a position. My advisors suggested that I move. Ha :lol:
    I guess that may be an option for some people, but not me.
    I had an interview for a student advising position here at a technical college this morning. I don't have a good feeling but I am not giving up.

28. Johari's Window

Johari's Window Companion

Aug 7, 2012

I agree bet3, it is not a good feeling. Teachers return to the classroom on the 20th here & students the 28th. I hate to give up on something I've worked hard for the last few years. Preschool positions are available (not sure if i qualify in NC) but I've put them off...until tomorrow (I guess).