Feeling sad...

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by lafogosa, May 19, 2011.

1. lafogosa

lafogosa Companion

May 19, 2011

Does anyone else ever feel sad about the end of the school year? I get really depressed. My students did well on their mock CRCT and other tests, but I still feel like I didn't do enough, didn't connect enough, was too strict, didn't work with the parents enough...
    I am left feeling like all the other teachers had such great ideas, and I was just, well, mediocre...

Anyone else feel this way sometimes?

3. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

May 19, 2011

I do. I was not as connected with my class this year. I do feel like I was too strict and did not have fun with the kids.

I feel sad but I know what I can do differently next year.

4. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

May 19, 2011

Last year, I was sad.

This year, I am bouncing off the walls with anticipation. I am frazzled. I need a break. And I need a fresh start in August!

5. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

May 20, 2011

It all depends on the class. This year it's very bittersweet. I've had most of them for 2 years so it's hard to imagine new kids, but I'm really ready to have new kids! ;)

I think it makes you a better teacher to reflect on what went right and wrong, setting goals for yourself for next year.

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 20, 2011

It's hard to see the kids move on. Graduation is in a few weeks, then these kids we've sheltered and nurtured and pulled into maturity are on their own.

As to your remarks, I agree with kinder. Reflection is a must if we're to grow as educators. But I think you're only doing half of it.

It sounds like you've done a good job of listing the things you didn't do wrong.

But you know what?? In this economy, if you had been that bad a teacher, you would know it. Your administration would make sure you did.

So you must have done a lot right as well. How about adding those things to your list-- the things you did well, the parents you did connect with, the kids who will cherish the memory of this year with you??? They're there, you just need to think about it a bit.

Then make a third list, of the things you want to change for next year. Not "Do better projects" but the specifics. Comb the threads here for ideas, ask questions, come up with concrete ideas for everything you think you could have done better.

One of my favorite prayers is the serenity prayer:
    "Lord, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."

7. miss_ali1984

miss_ali1984 Companion

May 31, 2011

I agree with what Aliceacc said. It was my first year this year and I had what everyone told me was a VERY challenging class. I do feel all of the things that lafogosa feels and much more, but I also feel that the progress I made with these children is amazing. We had many small victories and plenty of larger ones. I have a lot of great ideas for next year and I can't wait! (But I can because I need a BIG break after this year)

8. cmw

cmw Groupie

May 31, 2011

At the end of each quarter I get a new group of students for some of the sections I teach. So it is nice that I can reflect on what worked & what didn't each quarter. Some classes are easier though to see go than others. :p My first quarter I had an amazing class and had to hold back tears the last day b-c the had made & all signed a card. This quarter my last period of the day is killer. I'm lucky that usually some of them are in ISR or OSS so they are usually not all there. The one day I was out at a meeting there was hitting, biting, & throwing. :p My band & choir students I have all year & they are great kids! It will be tough to see them go; but I will still see them in the school!

9. teacherhoosier

teacherhoosier Companion

Jun 6, 2011

I too have been feeling like this lately..I had a rough kindergarten class with several immature boys with behavior problems-however, my students showed great gains throughout the year, and in my heart, I know I did my absolute best that I could do in the moment..but there's always room for improvement, and that's why I'm starting to set my goals for next year....

10. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Jun 6, 2011

:yeahthat: Last year, I had the class from H-E double hockey sticks, so to be honest, I was not sad to see them go. This year is going to be harder because I have an amazing group of students. I didn't have any emotionally disturbed or severe behavior issues, which was great because I got to have a lot of fun.

One thing that I did find that does make me a bit depressed is that I was not a better reading teacher. A lot of my students are STILL below grade level and its hard.

I remember one of my teammates was telling about how she had a child go from a DRA reading level 8 to a level 20 and even though I was happy for her and the child :thumb: I started feeling kind of bad thinking about how I had half the class STILL reading below grade level (even though many made marked improvement, they didn't make the DRA level 16 they needed to be OGL)

11. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jun 6, 2011

This is a great year and I really bonded with my group. In that sense, I am sad to see them go. I know I have a much tougher group coming in next year. In a way I am excited because it will be a challenge. This year was not challenging behaviorally. While I know I might be really stressed out next year, I hope to grow and learn as a teacher as well. I also have some other goals I am trying to accomplish, and I can't get to those until next school year. So, it is time to move on and I am pleased about that, but sad to end my time with this particular group.