Feeling really down...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ecteach, Sep 15, 2013.

1. ecteach

ecteach Groupie

Sep 15, 2013

I am feeling really down about not being able to purchase things for my classroom this year. What triggered it is that I just used the last of my personal laminating sheets, and I really don't have the money to get more. I have $67 in my account until payday, which is 2 weeks away. (We get paid once a month.)

Years ago, before our salaries were frozen, it was nothing for me to purchase lots of things weekly for the classroom. I used to have a prize box, and tons of materials for the kiddos to use. The salary freeze on top of medical bills from a 2 year long illness and surgery I had have made it really hard on my family. I had insurance, but still ended up owing over $15,000. I was still able to work during this time, so it's not that I went without a salary.

I posted Friday about how we can't get anything for our department, and I am just feeling really blah today. I feel like I NEED to buy some things in order to be a good teacher. I especially feel this way in regards to science. I teach all subjects to my kids, and I remember the awesome experiments that I used to be able to do. When we were learning about the layers of the earth, I'd buy Snicker Bars and have them cut them open to see the layers. I used to love doing M&M Math, cutting fruit to show fractions, etc, etc. I really want to have the kids make volcanoes while they are studying land-forms next week, but I can't buy the stuff. Unfortunately, most of the parents have it worse than me, and they can't send stuff in either.

I can't even buy pencils now. I REALLY CAN'T. If I do it means I'm taking money away from my family. I really feel bad. I feel down in the dumps today. I am steadily looking for jobs where I can be broke and not feel so bad about it.

3. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Sep 15, 2013

I am willing to bet you're in NC, aren't you?

4. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Sep 15, 2013

Huge huge :hugs:. But the good thing is you are putting your family first and know that you have to be careful. Keep in mind though, that while buying the extras for hands-on stuff is great, it doesn't make YOU great. That's just in your passion, enthusiasm and dedication to your kids.

5. ecteach

ecteach Groupie

Sep 15, 2013

Yep. A small county too. Some of the larger counties gave pay increases in the form of a higher supplement. Ours hasn't.:(

6. ecteach

ecteach Groupie

Sep 15, 2013

I try to remember this. Thanks. It's just so hard. I really like spoiling my "babies" as I call them.

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 15, 2013

I'm sure you do... with love and caring and all the education you can provide for them.

As nice as the other stuff is, it's extra. You know as well as we do that all the treasure chests in the world wouldn't replace the treasure of a teacher who really cares.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 15, 2013

This is so true and so beautiful.:love:

9. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 15, 2013

I'm sure you're a great teacher who doesn't need much if you really pull youre resources together! I know it's tough because you're used to being able to buy a lot, but maybe you can try using this opportunity to make a change and not buy as much.

10. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 15, 2013

Our county tried cutting our $1000 supplement a few years ago!!

Anyway, I understand. You know I truly do. And, now I'm wishing I had your problems!! :crosseyed:dizzy:

Hang in there. Hopefully NC will fix itself soon.

11. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Sep 15, 2013

I'm in one of those lucky counties, it's the only way I can remotely get by :hugs::hugs:

12. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Sep 15, 2013

I am sorry to hear about the financial situation. I do really wish they would pay teachers more--especially in NC where the salaries seem so low.

Some ideas: My students get more excited about fun games and activities that they earn than from stuff I buy. Consider a fun game or activity that they could earn each day.

I always have a few (not a lot) parents who always want to help. If you let the parents of items you need for your classroom, you will have a couple of parents who will likely donate them.

Consider talking to your P. If you say you have a problem you really need help with. Then tell her you need some pencils for your classroom--you will probably get them.

I am so sorry you are going through this. I hope you can get some tutoring or something that can get you some extra $$$ through this tough time.

13. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 15, 2013

You'll just have to learn to do without some of those fun extras. I stopped spending money on my classroom for the most part several years ago, and I haven't looked back. Yes, it would be nice to have X, Y, and Z for my room, but it just isn't financially feasible at this time. My students still learn and still have a good time in my class. Yours will, too.

14. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Sep 15, 2013

Excellent point. This reminds me that the students LOVE getting handwritten letters written to their parents about how good they are doing in school. They are priceless.:)

15. HorseLover

HorseLover Comrade

Sep 15, 2013

:yeahthat: I've also heard of students (as individuals or groups) being able to earn "coupons" for special privileges such as lunch with the teacher, a privileged seat, etc

If you have any somewhat bigger things (or a set of smaller things) that you are interested in you could look into donors choose

16. GemStone

GemStone Habitué

Sep 16, 2013

Your family must come first. I am often in the same financial boat, and I choose my own children first, hands-down. I refuse to feel badly about it.

Send home notes requesting parents send in such items as Snickers bars and M&Ms. Plan ahead and have the boys bring the Snickers and the girls bring the M&Ms. They can share, and that's $1 per family.

Fill your prize box with intangible items. Utilize technology that you may have as much as possible to replace manipulatives you can't afford.