Feeling Overwhelmed

Discussion in 'General Education' started by kellzy, Aug 28, 2013.

1. kellzy

kellzy Comrade

Aug 28, 2013

This is my fourth year teaching and for some reason, this year I'm feeling particularly overwhelmed. I thought it was supposed to be less overwhelming by year four, but that's not what I'm feeling. I'm feeling quite the opposite. I have a good team, and a full-time aide, plus the smallest class size I've ever had, so I'm not quite sure why this feels so overwhelming to me.

Are any of you feeling overwhelmed? And if you are, how do you deal with it?

3. joeschmoe

joeschmoe Companion

Aug 28, 2013

I'm a first year teacher and I indeed feel overwhelmed. I'm trying to find a balance right now 3 weeks in. I was really stressing myself out with the little things like making sure students bring their books. I was going to start handing out detentions but realized a lot of my students are doing their best to fail and they're taking my sanity down with them. So as much as I hate to, I'm going to take my hands off certain micromanaging aspects.

I also tried to teach the entire period 4-5 days a week because our administration believes in "end to end" instructions. Doing so has burned me out and made me pace a lot faster than my co-teachers teaching the same course. I'm going to try to divide my periods into some instructions and some independent work.

4. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Aug 28, 2013

Yes. This is my 6th year in my district, but my first teaching HS. I am teaching US History, World History and an elective no one elected to be in. I wanted to leave MS for HS, so that is a plus.

What overwhelms me the most is planning for something I have never taught before and the length of the classes - most are 90 to 100 minutes. I try to over plan to make sure I take up the whole class time, but I have never been a fan of classes longer than 60 minutes.

I just remind myself not to get stressed because it is what it is. And then I just keep it moving to the next thing.

Good luck!

5. HorseLover

HorseLover Comrade

Aug 28, 2013

I am very overwhelmed as a first year teacher, but I have had others in the school tell me that even after years of experience it is normal to feel stress at the beginning of the school year :hugs:

6. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Aug 28, 2013

This. I have tried teaching for the full 90 minutes, but by the end of the first hour, they're done and I'm done. So the last portion of the class is independent work or partner work. This seems to work well because it gives them a break towards the end of class for letting me get through the material that day. I also felt I was moving too fast and going through a week's worth of lessons in a few days so I've decided to teach for 60 to 70 minutes and give independent/group work for the rest.

7. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Aug 28, 2013

Yes!! We are moving into a new building and it's not done yet! We can't really set up our rooms yet.

How am I dealing with it? Trying to focus on the positive and take it one day at a time. Trying not to project too far in the future - "What if....?" Focusing on what I CAN control instead of what I can't.

:)

8. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Aug 28, 2013

2nd year (kind of third year), and yes, I'm feeling very overwhelmed, and it's just the first day. :(

I have a new elective to teach that I don't really care about and it's passed between teachers because no one wants it. I was dumped with it with no support or curriculum or even standards.

I was hoping to focus on improving my main subject science, I'm finishing up the second year of BTSA, doing a 2 year long induction program with a professional organization for new teachers, and taking a physics course at night at the community college.

I'm very much regretting taking on the elective.

9. Natural Beauty

Natural Beauty Rookie

Aug 29, 2013

Well, after ten years of teaching, i am overwhelmed. They fact you are going to be faced with new students who come with there own challenges, can take a toll on you. But i guess we need to go with an open mind and face the students with a positive mind set. Before the end of the 1st week we would all be settled and ready to face the challenge ahead.

10. Natural Beauty

Natural Beauty Rookie

Aug 29, 2013

This is a very good way to face the challenge that you have. Think of what you can do now with what you have in order to make the environment conducive and comfortable for your students to learn. You too, should try to be comfortable but not too comfortable.

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 29, 2013

I imagine a part of the problem is that you're setting higher goals for yourself.

What was acceptable in your first year is no longer acceptable; you have a higher standard for yourself and your students.

It's a sign of growth.

So relax, get through the next 2 days, and have a nice long holiday weekend. Try to go easier on yourself. It will be OK. And your students will reap the benefits from your experience.

12. Curiouscat

Curiouscat Comrade

Aug 29, 2013

The beginning of the year can be crazy (even after 20 years) especially if your school is changing or implementing many changes all at once.

I know sometimes the paperwork alone overwhelms me. Yesterday I had 7 stacks of papers that had been filled out and returned! I had to put them all in alphabetical order by stack, check off who returned, and send home a reminder letter to those that didn't return. Add in all of the other paperwork such as IEP's, 504's, pretests, running records, notes from parents, etc. and it just becomes overwhelming.

The kicker is that I had a classroom full of students and no planning period. So, I laughed and made one huge pile and put it on the shelf behind my desk. I can only do so much and the rest will have to wait. So, take a deep breath and laugh!

13. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 29, 2013

I'm in a new position this year and it is definitely overwhelming! Luckily I have support that helps.

14. queenie

queenie Groupie

Aug 29, 2013

Thank you! I needed to hear this, too, and I do believe it's true. Every year I strive to do better and set so many new goals for myself! I have a small class and minimal problems, but I feel like every new thing the P / district piles on tips the scales a little more toward the insanity side... :lol:

15. princessbloom

princessbloom Comrade

Aug 29, 2013

Yes! It's my 4th year too. We've had more added to our plates this year so that isn't helping.

I don't know how I'm dealing, but I am. Day by day.

16. dave1mo

dave1mo Comrade

Aug 29, 2013

My administration also pushes maximizing instructional time; this does not, however, mean teachers should be in front of their class lecturing from end to end. Teaching isn't lecturing; hopefully your administration realizes that and there's just a miscommunication about what's expected from you.

17. bowler

bowler Rookie

Aug 29, 2013

We lost a teammate last week so trying to deal with a long term sub has definitely been interesting to say the least. I know that things will get better once we have a few weeks under our belts.

18. Mellz Bellz

Mellz Bellz Comrade

Aug 29, 2013

I'm also on Year 4 and even though my caseload is much smaller than previous years and we seem to have a pretty good group of kids (compared to last year at least) I'm definitely way behind this year already which is kind of stressing me out. I think it's a combination of factors. I'm teaching a reading intervention program this year, so now I'm having to do more lesson planning and my own grades plus learning to implement this new program. Then I have planning last block this year which is throwing me off a bit because at that point in the day I'm just done. We also had very little time to get ourselves prepared before the first day between all the PD we've had. Once I catch up I'll be better, but it'll probably take a few weeks.

19. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Aug 29, 2013

I don't start school for another week or so, but I know from experience that the first couple of weeks are exhausting and overwhelming. Eat healthy, try your best to get a good night's sleep, and hang in there! --might also try to get in a quick walk or some other exercise if at all possible to curb the stress.