Feeling Overwhelmed-1st day

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by VANewbie, Sep 5, 2011.

1. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Sep 5, 2011

Many of us are starting school tomorrow and I feel a bit overwhelmed. I've done this before but there are so many procedures and routines to teach. So much to teach when it comes to rules and behaviors. I feel like I am going to miss something.

I do not know where to even start and how much is too much for the first day.
    Again I've done this before but I am having a case of the first day jitters.
    And then all of those supplies that come in the first day!! AGH!:dizzy:

3. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Sep 5, 2011

I think the best thing to keep in mind on the first day is that it's the first day for the kids too and they feel the same way. Have students hold on to their new supplies until the end of the day. Perhaps a fun tension reliever would be to have everyone write about their first day jitters and then share as a group. This could really help ease in the school year. Then go from there to develop your class rules together. Nest, introduce and practice your procedures. It should be lunch time by then. During the afternoon, try a read aloud and invite volunteers to share some of their favorite authors and/or titles. Distribute some reading response sentence stems and have students begin a Reader Response notebook. Explain that they will be sharing their thoughts on what they read in these notebooks. Next, have the class visit your classroom library and select their first independent reading book. Provide some independent reading time, some reader response time, and then gather again as a whole group for some sharing time. Much of your afternoon should be done by then. Finish up your day by having them sort through and organize their new supplies. By this time, everyone should be more comfortable with one another and the process should easier than it would have been first thing in the morning. Remember, work smarter, not harder. This goes for the kids too. Don't try to do too much the first day.
    Let us know how it goes.

4. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Sep 5, 2011

I felt the same way...And I did forget a lot of stuff. I kind of wish I could do the first 2 days over. BUT, tomorrow is a new day, and a few months from now it will feel like we've been doing this forever. :)

I spent yesterday going through my kids' desks, labeling their supplies (parents were asked to do this at home, but many didn't), doing a little inventory, and organizing everything. It took a few hours, but it brought me peace of mind. I wanted to make sure everyone had everything they needed, and that they were all off to an organized start!

5. stampin'teacher

stampin'teacher Cohort

Sep 5, 2011

I felt like I had to throw out so much information to my students the first day, and I think they felt just as overwhelmed as I did.

But like DrivingPigeon said, tomorrow is a new day, and eventually the tough beginnings of instilling procedures will be far behind.

6. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Sep 5, 2011

I don't want to forget anything either. Before the year starts, I make a list of the procedures that I need to teach, and I check them off as I teach them. I certainly do not get to all of them the first day, but at least none slip through the cracks if my plans have to change (as they often do that first week).

7. Pacificpastime

Pacificpastime Companion

Sep 6, 2011

Don't worry you will be fine. Just do as much as you can take and as much as they can take. If it takes a day or two more then it takes a day or two more.

8. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Sep 7, 2011

How'd your first day go?

It's really no big deal if you forget something (they will need lots of reminders throughout the year).

9. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Sep 7, 2011

Does someone have a list of what they teach and when they teach it? I don't know what's a priority either.

10. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Sep 7, 2011

I always have the jitters (and bad dreams) every year. You would think after all this time I'd get over it.

Here is a partial list of my morning:

Got to school an hour and a half early to finish up. A high schooler pulled the fire alarm (before my kids got there) so I spent 20 of those minutes pacing outside.

I rolled over my skirt with my chair and didn't realize I had torn it until a parent told me I was "showing". Spent the rest of the day (and that evening since I taught night school) with my skirt safety pinned together!

It rained so no recess the first day!

You gotta laugh or you'll cry type of day but everything turned out well. I'm exhausted, though, from a 14 hour day.

11. MzMooreTeaches

MzMooreTeaches Cohort

Sep 11, 2011

How has everyone first few days/weeks been? The overwhelming feeling certainly does take a while to fade it away... but eventually you look up and what do you know... for the most part everyone is with the program!

I have been doing tons of assessments... so it feels like I'm not getting a lot of teaching done. But I take breaks and when I look up, amazingly students are working. In a montessori environment its nothing to look up and it seems like chaos, but in actuality its students walking to get their work, asking a friend for help, asking the teacher to check their work... I have to say its an amazing feeling.

12. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Sep 11, 2011

It went great. I decided to take things extremely slow even if that meant we did not get any seat work done. I felt overwhelmed and my head was spinning. I got home and thought how am I going to do this tomorrow.

Well tomorrow came and it was even better. The spinning went away and things are coming together great.