Feeling Overqualified

Discussion in 'General Education' started by substitute_stev, Nov 15, 2020.

1. substitute_stev

substitute_stev Rookie

Nov 15, 2020

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
  3. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Nov 15, 2020

You have to earn the respect of these new schools. You don’t get a pass just because the other schools like you. If you go into these new schools with a “don’t you know who I am” attitude, they won’t care for you at all.

Caesar753 likes this.
  4. CaliforniaRPCV

CaliforniaRPCV Comrade

Nov 15, 2020

I'm not being sarcastic or snarky. Exactly what are the benefits and products of the respect you are looking for? What comes with greater status?

Caesar753 likes this.
  5. viola_x_wittrockiana

viola_x_wittrockiana Comrade

Nov 15, 2020

I mean this kindly: check your ego. You yourself said you like what you do and don't want the hassles that come with a teacher-of-record position. With a transient position comes variable treatment. Don't take it too personally. I had a college I was working for tell me they'd love to have me as a professor and would instantly hire me if I had a masters. I moved to another state and wasn't hired by a less rigorous school as a tutor. Why? Because my true abilities aren't reflected by what's on paper. You know your worth; don't get worked up over people who barely know you dismissing you.

Caesar753 and CaliforniaRPCV like this.
  6. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Groupie

Nov 16, 2020

Maybe just sub for the ones who know your worth. We hold our subs in high regard. Most are retired teachers and we have always had a shortage. In what way do you feel disrespected? Have people been rude or condescending to you? I'd cross them off of my list if they were. Since you like teaching, try not to focus on what others think of you.....like status. Who are they to judge you? Who are you to let them define you? Do what you enjoy. Stay away from disrespectful schools.

Caesar753 likes this.