Feeling like my reading block is too short, please help?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Pisces_Fish, Aug 21, 2010.

1. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Aug 21, 2010

I moved from one school to another this year. My old school had 140 minutes for reading, my new one has just 75 :dizzy:

I'm used to 60 min whole group, 60 minutes centers/small group, and 20 mins independent reading.

How can I fit in whole group, spelling, grammar, and small groups into 45 minutes?? Hmmm...I'm thinking I should skip grammar altogether and incorporate that into my DOL that I do for morning work? I could also incorporate grammar into my writing block somehow.

My questions:
    • I will do whole group each day, but for how long?
    • Should I do centers 2-3 days a week?
    • How often should I do small group? (Probably the 2-3 days I do centers?)

This is for 3rd grade.

3. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Aug 21, 2010

I'm curious about the tips you'll get too because our reading time is only 55 minutes first thing in the morning with another 45 minute writing class in the afternoon. It's hard to get much done in the morning because we have to do our attendance and lunch tickets (collect and record money and make change) during the first 15 minutes of that reading period. I always feel our kids get cheated out of reading instruction but for some reason, our admin doesn't think so.

4. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Aug 21, 2010

Spelling and grammar you could move into your writing block. That's what we have to do...

5. jteachette

jteachette Comrade

Aug 22, 2010

only 55 minutes for reading? Wisconsin requires 450 minutes per week, and 250 of Language Arts, so I do a 90 minute block of Reading/Work Stations(which includes some writing practice), and 30 of Writing/Grammar/Handwriting(whole group).

6. queenie

queenie Groupie

Aug 22, 2010

We spend 20 minutes on whole group and 40 mins on small group/centers.

Could you do language and spelling during your Writing time or do you have another time you could do it- for example, we have half an hour marked as "working with words" on our schedule...

7. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Aug 22, 2010

Wow. I only have an hour a day to teach it all. I am so jealous of you that have real time to teach!!!

8. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Aug 22, 2010

I do very little whole group for reading... what exactly are you doing during the whole group time? My priority is to meet with every child in my room for guided reading every day. If you cut out the whole group time (or shorten it to about 10 minutes), you can cover the material in small groups.

9. MissHunny

MissHunny Comrade

Aug 23, 2010

I have about 40 min for writing and an additional 90-100 min for reading. I love it! we do whole group for about 15-20 min then I do 4 reading groups (2o min each) while the kids do rotations (daily 5). So if I were you I would cut the whole group time.

10. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Aug 24, 2010

Do you have a separate time for writing outside of that 75 minutes, or were you including it? That's where spelling and grammar should go, if you have a writing block. Use your whole group time to do a short mini-lesson and spend more of your time in small groups.

I try to incorporate reading into science and social studies, so I get to do a lot of think-alouds and whole-group reading there.