Feeling Like It's All Been for Nothing

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by clavinbot, Feb 1, 2010.

1. clavinbot

clavinbot Rookie

Feb 1, 2010

Hi, everyone, thought I would just post how bad things are. I have been certified since last May in Social Studies 8-12 and Math 4-8 here in Texas. I have been subbing since October in Corpus Christi ISD and I have interviewed several places here and elsewhere in the state with no luck at all. I've tried places where I know people but I just don't seem to know the right ones. No matter what I do I lose, and I know I can't do anything else, I have to teach, it's all I can picture myself doing from 9 to 5. I will do anything, move anywhere, to get a regular high school teaching job, but no one anywhere seems to care, they would just rather hire someone else who lives closer or has worked longer. I really don't know what to do, I feel like my whole life has been a waste, I have to get away, and I have to get a full job to help a dependent. I am really in a mess and I'm open to all suggestions. I am planning to get certified via computer test for Science 8-12 next week if that helps anything.

3. Jenstc2003

Jenstc2003 Companion

Feb 1, 2010

*gives an encouraging hug* I wish I could give you some advice, but I do wish you the best. I'm searching for something as well, though I'm not certified yet. At least from looking around here, you know that you're not alone. I hope that and a little encouragement will help make it a little easier until you find the right job.

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 1, 2010

:hugs: I have been in that same position. I have had my own classroom for two years. Resigned when I was pregnant and couldn't find a job for 2 years following that. I finally landed a job as a support facilitator at a middle school which will more than likely turn into a full time teaching position next year.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 1, 2010

There's a HUGE difference between "not having a job" and "not having a job YET."

Do what you need to in order to make ends meet, but face the oncoming hiring season with optimism and enthusiasm.

6. rockangel312

rockangel312 Companion

Feb 3, 2010

Sometimes I feel the same way. I graduated in December 2008 and it sucks since it has been a whole year. I feel hopeless at times as well. I definitely agree with the comment about interviewing and also not knowing the right people. I am currently taking a courses so I can teach middle school and special education. Thus far, it has helped me get more interviews, but not a job. Sometimes I feel like I may be wasting my money. I'm going to finish out this semester and then not take anymore classes for a while. I like the comment about not having a job YET. I feel like I"m doing everything I can to get a job. Yesterday I walked into a board of education office to update my file. I told them I was interested in any long-term substitute positions, special education, regular education, or middle school openings. I had a folder with my credentials to give to the assistant superintendent, but the secretary said she views it all online.
    Ugh

7. schoolteacher

schoolteacher Habitué

Feb 3, 2010

The School District of Philadelphia has two openings for a high school social studies teacher on their vacancy list. I am not sure about the reciprocity of licensure between PA and Texas.

8. beatlebug731

beatlebug731 Comrade

Feb 3, 2010

Do they have any special or elementary ed openings available?

9. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Feb 3, 2010

My district is opening a new school and I am in Texas. It is a middle school. PM me and I will give you the details. Good luck! :rolleyes:

10. schoolteacher

schoolteacher Habitué

Feb 3, 2010

Elementary, but at some tough schools.

11. nattyj21

nattyj21 Companion

Feb 3, 2010

Ugh! My heart breaks when I read this, because I know exactly how you are feeling. Just know you are really not alone in this. Many teachers are still searching. It is really hard, I have days when I just want to throw my hands up and say forget it. However, I know I want to teach and I am in this for the right reasons. The students, your future students, need you, you can't give up.
    Have you tried Carney, Sandoe, and Associates. They place you in private schools. I applied, but they did not accept me in. However, they said on their website math and science is in high demand (of course we know this), but that might make you more desirable for them. They would work to get you a job. That is one avenue.
    Have you looked at other states? If so, which are you interested in. You might want to research reciprocity for Texas and see if any of those states appeal to you. I am doing an intensive search in multiple states and reciprocity isn't as easy as just getting a certificate in another state.
    How about any professors or teachers that you worked with, know your quality of work, that you may not have reached out to? Try dropping them a quick email. Ask them if they have any advice or suggestions you might try. If nothing else it is a few more people that will be on the look out for a position for you.
    Another thing, you might want to search an area you like and do a yellowpage search of all the schools in that area. Make a list of a few schools to call each day. Tell them what you are certified in and ask if they are excepting resumes. They might not have anything now, but if they like you they will have your information on file when something comes up.

Sorry this is so long. I hope some of this will help you!

We are in the same boat together and this will be our year for landing a great teaching job!!!!

12. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Feb 6, 2010

Honestly, Not getting a job since May is not that bad at all....around here you are looking at 4-6 years subbing before gettting a probationary position...there just aren't that many jobs as there are teachers being turned out by colleges.

Rockangel....Never view taking more classes as a waste of money, if nothing else you are bettering yourself...and you will most likely use that information somewhere down the line. Once you get hired those extra credits will help you advance yourself on the salary scale as well.

13. clavinbot

clavinbot Rookie

Feb 9, 2010

Hey guys, I want to thank you for all the varied comments. I did try that Carney-Sandhoe app and we'll see what happens. That got me thinking on private schools, since public seems kind of locked out for now, does anyone think those might go any better? Also I hate to bring this up but sometimes I feel like my being a white male is working against me-I know there aren't supposed to be quotas and prejudices, etc, but I'm kind of noticing it as a trend among some other friends of mine. Anyway, like I said the private school approach, if anyone has any advice or help on that I'm willing to work bottom dollar at one just to have a steady wage where i can just barely make a living and support a dependant.

14. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 10, 2010

In this economy-- in ANY economy-- don't neglect private, religious and charter schools!!!!!

I most certainly don't work for "bottom dollar" and I can't imagine a better working enviornment than the school in which I've worked for the better part of 20 years.

15. nattyj21

nattyj21 Companion

Feb 10, 2010

I agree don't count any type of school out. Especially in this economy. You might end up finding a great school you would not otherwise have worked at. If you don't like it, hey at least you have experience to post on your resume!

16. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Feb 10, 2010

My district is posting jobs like crazy. Stop the crazy talk and keep the public schools in your line of vision!:)

17. Jenstc2003

Jenstc2003 Companion

Feb 10, 2010

Why do you have to discount ANY option? Public schools MIGHT still be doable, but maybe private schools are more realistic. No reason that you have to give up on the public ones completely, and there's no reason to count out private schools either. Find a position that needs your qualifications first. Then, when you have some options in mind, you can look at what fits your needs financially, etc before you apply.

18. clavinbot

clavinbot Rookie

Feb 12, 2010

Well so I've been going over it in my head, since I often have nothing else to do, and I figured I might also ask you fine folks this-do you think it tends to matter at all what one's Bachelor's was in. Meaning, if one has no experience as a teacher, just the subbing, and one is certified in Math 4-8, but the Bachelors was in history, then are they not hiring me for Math Middle School jobs because they don't think I really know my stuff, even though I passed the test? Likewise, should it be a real advantage for history jobs, that I did major in it, and if I throw in something like oh I love it and I might get a Masters in it and so on, or do you think that ultimately that's worthless to them and they just care about experience and filling a quota? Because I was getting certified the livelong day in other subjects but since it doesn't seem to be helping, I'm feeling really screwed if that's the case as these Social Studies jobs are like the most competitive of all.

19. timsterino

timsterino Comrade

Feb 13, 2010

I would disagree with the ANY economy statement fo private, religious and charter schools. Yes, in a rough economy they are a viable option, I agree. However, in ANY economy, I must disagree. In any economy if I have the option of working public or private school, I would always take the public option. Especially if you don't want lower pay, longer hours in school and less benefits.

Good luck, I have been where you are. I certainly understand what you are going through.

20. timsterino

timsterino Comrade

Feb 13, 2010

I agree. It is way too early in the hiring season to throw in the towel.

21. timsterino

timsterino Comrade

Feb 13, 2010

I can think of many reasons not to go private. Two of the top are lower pay and benefits. I just don't think people should be at the just take anything stage yet for the next school year,.

But hey, that just could be me.

22. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 13, 2010

When I returned to work in 2005, I turned down 2 job offers to return to the private school I'm in. Please believe I did NOT "just take anything."

My school is competitive in terms of pay; we average 10 local public and private schools to arrive at our pay scale. So, while I'm lower than some, I'm making better money than some local public school teachers.

I don't know that my hours are any longer than anyone else's. Most days, after extra help, I'm out the door by 3:40. If no one wants extra help, it's 3:15

As to the benefits-- read some of the posts I've written about my school. We have health and dental, optical, and a lot more. And some of the less tangible benefits are every bit as important.

I'm not sure where you got your information, but none of it seems to apply to the private school where I work, or to the one where my husband works.

23. WhatchaDoin?

WhatchaDoin? Comrade

Feb 13, 2010

I think it would be wise to keep your options open. AliceCC, your school sounds fantastic! Not all private schools are that well run, but not all public schools are worth the pay, either. I'm planning to send out as many apps as possible, do my homework on any offers, and accept or reject as needed. I hope rejecting a school in a district won't bar me from receiving an offer at another school in the same district. Keep us posted!

24. timsterino

timsterino Comrade

Feb 13, 2010

That sounds terrific! However, the problem is your school is the exception and not the norm. While I was looking for a job a couple of years ago, I was offered several positions at both private and charter schools but all were paying significantly lower then the public system (about $5,000 per year lower).

Sorry, I did not mean to imply that you just took anything. However, once the OP does take a position, they are pretty much out of luck if something else opens up (if they sign a contract.)

25. clavinbot

clavinbot Rookie

Feb 18, 2010

Does anyone know how effective Carney Sandoe really is? I should find out next week from them if I was accepted or not. Does the Math and Generalist 4-8 and Social Studies 8-12 cert seem like something they go for or not? Also, if they get you an interview with a place, are you practically in, or for all intents and purposes are you on your own after that? It just seems like private schools are all I have left, yet right now at this exact time, it doesn't seem like a single one is hiring.