Feeling Like a Failure

Discussion in 'High School' started by HistoryTeach4, Jul 14, 2014.

1. HistoryTeach4

HistoryTeach4 Rookie

Jul 14, 2014

Hi everyone,

I have been reading a lot of posts on this site over the last few months and am now reaching out for some support/advice.

Let me start with some background: I started at this school in September as a teacher's assistant in a program that prepares students for life outside of school. In March I was promoted to teacher (my first job) after someone had left. At the time I was working with 3 other teachers. I found out at the end of the school year I would be moving over to the main building to be the history teacher, which I am super excited about since that is what I went to school for. I accepted a job this summer not knowing what I would teacher for the month of July. Here is where my problems begins.

For ESY I am teaching Math. I have never taught math. Before the end of the school year I sat with one of the math teachers in the building and she gave me so many different materials that I could use. Even with all of that I do not feel like I am an effective teacher. I feel like what I am doing with the students is either to easy or to hard. I have been letting them work on their own; picking what they want to learn, but I feel like administration is thinking I am not doing my job. The principal said it would be basic math, but many of the students are above that. I have many levels in one class, so I am finding it hard to teach to the whole group since they are all on different things. Its not like history where everyone is learning the same thing and you just have to change how you present it. I come home and plan and plan and plan, but never feel confident. I feel like a bad teacher and that administration will see me that way.

Sorry for the ramble. I feel so out of my league here.

3. LisaLisa

LisaLisa Companion

Jul 15, 2014

Don't teach to the whole group then or if you do make them mini lessons. Teach to smaller groups.

4. mrsroos

mrsroos Rookie

Jul 15, 2014

I totally agree! Teach smaller groups and I would assign students independent work for their level while you are working with a particular group. Good Luck :)

5. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

Jul 15, 2014

You should go to the "Members List" on this site and drop a private message to a young guy who goes by "MikeTeachesMath." He seems like he really knows what's going on and being a math guy, my guess is that he could offer you some really solid advice.

I don't think he's been around lately, so it may take a little time for you to get a response, but I have a hunch it would be worth it.

:)

6. HistoryTeach4

HistoryTeach4 Rookie

Jul 15, 2014

Thanks everybody. For one class I had been letting the students choose something from the past year to practice using this website that has every math subject you can think of. I used the results to come up with individual assignments for each student and was able to work one on one since there are so many varied levels in the one class.