Feeling humiliated and dejected..

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by thesub, Apr 27, 2011.

1. thesub

thesub Comrade

Apr 27, 2011

Yesterday I subbed in an autistic classroom where the kids are very aggressive and it is the worst class in the district. I was subbing as an aide (it turns out the aide in question got a teaching job and was quitting). The special ed director breezed into the classroom and asked the teacher if she knew anyone who would work as an aide in the class. So I told the teacher that I was very interested in the position. The teacher was not eager at all and just said, "ummm....ok."

I thought she would happy to see somebody work in that dangerous class _ I say dangerous because I discovered one kid bit another aide and she had to get a tetanus shot. I felt very bad when the teacher just said Ok - I have subbed in that class 5 times this year and the teacher knows my face. My husband says that the teacher has probably promised the job to somebody else. I just felt sad that even an aide job is out of my reach.

What was your worst humiliating moment???? I want to know that I am not the only sub faced with rejection in different situations.

Thanks!!
    thesub

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Apr 27, 2011

I would agree, the teacher either has already promised the job or has someone else in mind for the job.

If I were you, you could call the special education director and ask about the position.

4. TiffanyL

TiffanyL Cohort

Apr 27, 2011

I would say that the teacher is very aware that this is how you feel about the class and that it is not the right class for you. We have a class for emotionally disturbed children on our campus. Some view it as a very rewarding place to be and some view it as a dangerous, awful class...doesn't make them a bad person, just means that it is not the right environment for them.

You seem to think that they should be thankful that you would even be willing to take the class. I can guarantee you that they pick up on that.

5. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 27, 2011

Wow, this teacher needs to get off her high horse (or whatever her probelms is) & drop this attitude & be enthusiastic about your willingness & if she kind of has someone in mind already, she should be honest & tell you, but should suggest that if you still want to try out for it to go ahead.

I've never had any humiliating experiences, but the closest situation that's kind of similar is maybe when I was a long-term RSP sub for the first few months at this newly built school in which back at the time, I kind of wanted the position, but another veteran RSP teacher assigned to help me (who I've known in the past & subbed for her at her school many times) pretty much snatched up the job right from under me & became the new RSP at that school when she was already the RSP teacher at her own school. She saw it as a way to get a new start & was sick of her old school. I didn't really have all the qualifications anyway, so I couldn't be mad or bitter about it, but it just shows you that you can't trust anyone. But, it wasn't like we were close friends by any means, but it was a little backstabbing.

The way I view things, if it's meant for you, it will happen, otherwise, something else will come along. Good luck!

6. waffles

waffles Companion

Apr 27, 2011

Did they answer like that in front of the principal? Because the offer from you might have just thrown the teacher for a loop she wasn't expecting at all.

7. thesub

thesub Comrade

Apr 27, 2011

TiffanyL: I am quite professional in this class and if I get upset/distressed by the students' behavior, I do not show it and continue to do my job.

Also, this class seems to have a high turnover of aides and teachers and the class staff always ***** about how tough this class is.

I am now thinking perhaps this class is not my type for the long run. Subbing is ok but day after day????? Thanks for pointing out that the wrong environment.

thesub

8. thesub

thesub Comrade

Apr 27, 2011

Maybe you're right. I talked to the teacher only after the special ed director left the classroom. I did e-mail the teacher my resume; if there is no response, I will continue subbing and be thankful for subbing jobs.
    thesub

9. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Apr 27, 2011

Sounds like you are in a much better mind frame! I'm glad that you put in the resume but are willing to wait.

Good luck!

10. thesub

thesub Comrade

Apr 27, 2011

I am happier today

because I finally subbed as a 4th grade teacher in a nice school. I was subbing as a teacher AFTER a long time. Aesop comes up with only aide jobs and I was so thrilled to be teaching something today.

thesub

11. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Apr 27, 2011

I'm glad that you got to teach! Did you have a nice day with a good group of kids?

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 27, 2011

The job isn't out of reach. Put your resume and cover together tonight, put on your nicest interview attire and head right back to that school tomorrow and ask to speak to the sped chair.

13. Srohl

Srohl Rookie

Apr 27, 2011

And no matter what

Remember things work out the way they do for a reason.....

14. thesub

thesub Comrade

Apr 27, 2011

Thanks...

I did have a nice day...there was an aide and a co-teacher who taught math, some ILA and I did science and more ILA. they both included me in the class and did not pretend that I did not exist..lol

15. thesub

thesub Comrade

Apr 27, 2011

I e-mailed and snail-mailed my resume to the SPED director...

and will follow this up with a phone call. Thanks so much for your encouragement.

thesub
    QUOTE=czacza;1424167]The job isn't out of reach. Put your resume and cover together tonight, put on your nicest interview attire and head right back to that school tomorrow and ask to speak to the sped chair.[/QUOTE]

16. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 27, 2011

[/QUOTE]

Fingers crossed!:love:

17. thesub

thesub Comrade

Apr 28, 2011

Thank you!!!
    thesub

18. FutureTeacher_1

FutureTeacher_1 Rookie

Apr 30, 2011

Good luck! I hope you get that job! :)

19. thesub

thesub Comrade

Apr 30, 2011

Thank you!!

Still haven't heard anything but the teacher said she "would pass my resume along."

thesub

20. thesub

thesub Comrade

May 2, 2011

Mopar, your kiddo is so cute

-- I love smiling babies. My daughter at that age never smiled and we used to go crazy trying to get good photos...lo.

thesub

21. Ms. Scarlet

Ms. Scarlet Rookie

May 14, 2011

I know how you feel. I expressed my interest for working at one of my schools permanently to an administrator. I really like the school, the students, and the other teachers. Basically the person I spoke to talked in circles and shut me down. It's very disheartening when you feel like a part of the school and you like everyone and find out they don't really feel the same about you. But oh well, you can't win 'em all. Just have to keep trying your best and truck along. At least you got the position though! Way to self-advocate and get yourself a job in an economy where that's no small feat!