Feeling hopeless

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by kmeteach, Aug 2, 2012.

1. kmeteach

kmeteach Companion

Aug 2, 2012

Just found out that I did not get the job for the interview I had on Tuesday. I am so disappointed, the interview went so well and the principal seemed very interested. I have a feeling they ended up hiring from within the district.

At this rate, I feel like I will be stuck being a sub yet again, which is the last thing I want to do. It's already August and I have been emailing principals like crazy, and I haven't heard back from anyone else yet! Is there any hope for me? :(

3. Rbart

Rbart Companion

Aug 2, 2012

I feel the same. I thought for sure this would be my year...crickets... I am already preparing myself for another year of subbing... but I think I may do it in another district. Just remember there is always hope!

4. V5470

V5470 Rookie

Aug 2, 2012

I'm in your same exact boat! Doing the same things. We live in a small.small.small. town and the only thing that kind of helps me stick out is being bilingual. Even then, I've received two interviews and nothing.

I've been in tears and have been applying to other jobs in the county (daycares, prek, child services, etc.) where someone like me would be valuable.

Hang in there and don't give up. There are tons of us out there fighting for a chance as well.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 2, 2012

Theres always hope...ave you had anyone help polish your resume and cover?

I hope you've taken the advice given here many time...send your package to every public, private and chater school within a reasonable commute distance...even if no openings are posted. You never knw...there could be late summer openings that you'll be right in time for!

6. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 2, 2012

:hugs: All of my job offers came in during August the two years I searched in '03 and '04. Don't give up, but I'm sorry you are feeling so down. :(

7. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 2, 2012

Why not sub in multiple districts if a job doesn't work out?? :)

8. kmeteach

kmeteach Companion

Aug 2, 2012

I've sent out at least 150 resumes to public and private schools during the past two weeks. I have more to go, but it's so disheartening to not get a response from all but 2 of them. I know it's only the beginning of the month, but as time goes on, I feel even worse about landing a job.

Leigh, I'm already signed up to sub in 4 districts just in case. But the idea of doing that again literally gives me a feeling of dread. There are too many subs and too little jobs. I was lucky if I worked 3 days a week back when I subbed.

Part of me is praying I'll get my TA position back, but I don't think I will, considering my old district sent me a letter saying they would put me on the sub list. :(

9. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Aug 2, 2012

Last minute postings will be starting to show up. Check to see when districts finish registration and the follow up with the districts.

10. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Aug 2, 2012

Yes, there's still hope. Things do still open up in Aug. and interim positions pop up throughout the year.

I'm sorry that this position did not work out, though.

11. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Aug 2, 2012

I know, I feel exactly the same way. I was sure I would land a contract this year. I cannot believe I may be facing subbing again.

There will be a late surge, though, I remember there was last year after I accepted my LTS job. I was happy with my choice at the time so didn't apply, but I recall thinking, "where were all these jobs last month?".

So the July surge is over, there will be a lull like we're having right now, and mid to late next week you watch--there will be more jobs posted. I was hired for my first position three days before school started!

I know how awful it is to check the lists and see only high school math and science, foreign language, and special Ed.! Everytime! The only elem. position I saw today is too far for me to drive.

Hang in there everyone....we'll get there!

12. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Aug 2, 2012

:hugs: I'm sorry. I know that is rough. It probably was an internal hire. That is what happened at the district I LTS'd at last year. They had one contracted position this year and it went to someone who had been non-renewed due to budget cuts.

Don't give up yet!

13. kmeteach

kmeteach Companion

Aug 2, 2012

I suppose this is why part of me is still hoping I'll get my old job back...because I was cut due to budget issues. Though I can't imagine they would give me my position back if they already said they were putting me down as a sub, right? Should I email my old principal this week and ask him if there's any news?

It's hard not to give up, I feel so stuck. Thanks everyone for the kind words though. I hope we ALL have good luck this month.

14. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Aug 2, 2012

The job I got last year, with an August 15 school start date and teacher work days starting on August 10th, didn't even exist until August 1st when district administrators reported back for work. I interviewed for that job on August 11th, was offered the position that evening and started on the second day of school, the 16th. Most of my colleagues last year mentioned they were hired in August, though I think most of them hired back when school started in early September.

Try to stay positive, but also put some work into getting on as many sub lists as possible. Good luck all, and sending out positive energy (what can I say, I'm from California) to everyone still looking.

15. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Aug 2, 2012

I think so, yes.

16. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Aug 2, 2012

:hugs:Don't give up! My P was still interviewing people last week. And all of our TA jobs are just starting to come up now. Jobs come up all of the time in August.

17. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Aug 3, 2012

What is so maddening is that all of the people who have caused financial hardship and ruin in this country and who are responsible for the shortage if teaching and other jobs have only gotten richer!

Teachers, police officers, nurses, etc. are unemployed and lucky to find part time jobs in their field. Traders, brokers, and bankers have been rewarded for their errors, though. Our country is sick.

18. TeachTN

TeachTN Comrade

Aug 3, 2012

A county nearby (but a bit too far to drive to work in) just reported that they are delaying the opening of school indefinitely due to the county comission not agreeing to a budget. This has been known for awhile, but not really publicized until yesterday - school was set to start Monday - leaving many parents in the lurch for daycare now. Oh yeah, and yesterday was an election day in TN too, so great timing.

As for the topic, it is very disheartening to not have a position yet. I feel like a skipping record, but I'm in that boat too. I've signed up to tutor athletes at my college at night - worst case scenario, if I do end up with a teaching job, this could be extra income. At least it will be something that should look good on my resume. I'm a grad student at my college, so that helps me - maybe you could look into some tutoring as well?

19. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Aug 3, 2012

Yes, I tutored college last semester. It paid very well, much more than subbing, but obviously not what I want to be doing...

Last edited: Aug 3, 2012
  20. HopelessTeacher

HopelessTeacher Rookie

Aug 7, 2012

At least you got an interview! I've been substituting for 6 years after I got my credential and no chances at all.

The one thing that bothers me the most is that I worked as long term substitutes, got lots of positive feedback, and the schools did hire a few -- just not me. They actually hired parent helpers in the process of getting their credential, others that "knew" someone, and someone that decided to try education for fun after having a failing business.

I've practically at the point in giving up hope. Yet at a recent interview for a non-teaching position, I was asked: while it is difficult, others seem to be hired in education.

I really want wonder if it is my problem in not knowing anybody in the district or am I not fit to teach? Yet all those positive feedback confuse me

21. HOPE-fulTeacher

HOPE-fulTeacher Comrade

Aug 8, 2012

I felt the need to comment, especially since we have similar forum names. My first year job searching, I felt hopeless like you did, and I remember that by August, the motivation to keep going on job apps was zilch. I honestly didn't try as hard as I could have because of my attitude. Then, last year, I had to give myself an attitude check. August is the WORST time to have a Debbie Downer attitude about job searching...it's when schools are looking to fill a lot of unanticipated openings, and it's when schools are least likely to have the time or the inclination to post for a couple weeks, spend a week looking through applications, complete a several step interview process, etc. They look at the apps they already have on file, they choose a few people to interview and maybe see a demo lesson from, and they hire quick! I was hired last year in mid-August, at a school that I randomly applied to and knew nothing about. It was even in another state. However, I love the school, the district, and the area that I'm in. Keep your spirits up, and maybe choose a new forum name! :)

22. HopelessTeacher

HopelessTeacher Rookie

Aug 8, 2012

Thanks for the encouragement! I've actually kept my hopes high for the last couple of years to the point where my family and friends say that I'm hopelessly optimistic and in denial.

I'm glad to hear that others are getting opportunities, but I really didn't want to encourage anybody into the field because I keep seeing articles saying that there's a projected need for a large number of teachers in the near future. I've been through it for so many years telling me otherwise.

I've been trying to perk up and get in the mode that I was in, but having only a preliminary credential that was already extended doesn't help with the optimism. But a timely reminder of positive thinking was greatly appreciated!

23. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 8, 2012

There actually has been a pretty good jump in the job market in Texas this year. There are more teaching positions, more teachers are retiring, and some new moms have opted to stay at home. I know in the Southeast the job market has picked up from last year as well. I am not saying that it is as strong as 5 years ago, but the teaching job market does look better than it did 2 years ago, much better than last year, and hopefully is on the upswing. I do understand that places like California continue to have record numbers of teachers looking for jobs. Florida, too, I hear has a surplus of teachers. Traveling around the country doing workshops for teachers keeps me in touch somewhat. Teachers talk. :) I mainly do workshops in the South though. (Not because I wouldn't travel up North- I just mainly get asked to conferences in the South.) So tell me.... How is the Northern teaching market looking?