Feeling Hopeless! Bad Observation!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by TeacherBug08, Nov 20, 2013.

1. TeacherBug08

TeacherBug08 Companion

Nov 20, 2013

I teach in an inner city school in the great state of Illinois. I am a first year teacher trying the best I can. I had a HORRIBLE day today and of course I got observed! I just feel like I have no support at all. I have three students who are constantly acting up. I was first told to never ignore their behaviors etc. so I would always put my class on hold and deal with them. Then today I was told to give them a consequence and then ignore them the rest of the time. I just feel so frustrated!! I want to do a good job. I just feel like saying just tell me what you want and I'll do it, but no one is consistent. I don't feel like I am cut out for a school like this at all. My last week of observation went great at least, but feeling so nervous about this one.

3. BookReader813

BookReader813 Companion

Nov 20, 2013

I wouldn't worry so much about it, especially when you don't know what kind of feedback you're going to get from your observer. I'm sure that he/she will understand that you were having a particularly challenging day with those three students. It happens! Take whatever comments he/she gives you and work on making improvements so your next observation goes more smoothly.

:hugs: Have some faith in yourself!

4. MzMooreTeaches

MzMooreTeaches Cohort

Nov 20, 2013

We all have tough observations... believe me! The positive in it is... for your next observation there is no where to go but up! Since you are new you get some leancy in a way. No classroom is perfect without students who show negative behaviors. As far as not feeling cut out for the school think of it as a plus. If you happen to transfer to another school later in your teaching career you will have great classroom management skills.

Take a deep breath. I work with kindergartners, typically I guage my students. Some students respond a lot better when you do take the attention away from there negative behaviors (meaning they aren't hurting themselves or anyone else) Here is what I do but it doesn't work for every child.

Negative behavior, I correct and it typically results in them crying or getting upset (kindergarten). I tell them to go to the bathroom and get it together... when they come back with no tears I let them know I will gladly talk to them and help them with the problem 85-95% of the time this works but it takes a lot of patience because you have to hear the crying for a while.... but I have to get them use to self regulating... I can talk them through it but minus the crying.

Students directly not wanting to listen/defiant/stubborn/doing work when they get ready... I take my time with them... I ignore them until they come to me... then I make a big deal now that you are here... you have missed xyz... before you go to the computer or do the "fun" stuff you have to go back and do what you missed. Then pile on the positives and mix in don't do this next time or you will have a lot of work to do to get to the "fun stuff".

5. HorseLover

HorseLover Comrade

Nov 20, 2013

You're not alone! I too struggle with feeling like I'm given inconsistent instructions in how to do this or that. It is frustrating and I am completely overwhelmed with everything right now. On the plus side, Thanksgiving and Christmas are almost here! Everyone tells me it gets easier...

6. Ted

Ted Habitué

Nov 20, 2013

Nineteen years in and I still have my bad days. Had one today, as a matter of fact. :) I'll have them until I retire.

Just take a deep breath and know you'll have your best and worst days as a teacher.

If you have certain issues with students with which you want help, start a new thread and perhaps we can help brainstorm ideas to help you.

Give the grade level and specific behaviors and I would bet you'll get several ideas to help you at least have a start! :)