Feeling guilty..need advice

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by em26stj, Mar 20, 2008.

1. em26stj

em26stj Rookie

Mar 20, 2008

I have been experiencing a bit of a down period. In addition to the many concerns and overwhelming time commitment that a new teacher has, I also have been going through many issues with my so called school mentor as well as handling the possibility of being excessed next year. With all of this on my mind, I find that my students behaviors are getting to me a lot quicker than they used too. I find myself lecturing them on appropriate behavior more than I used too and I am feeling guilty about letting my issues and concerns influence and affect how I deal with them. They aren't the most perfect students but I seem to be getting upset more easily than I and they are used too because of these outside issues. Does anyone have any advice as to how to help keep my issues from getting in the way of my teaching?

3. blessedhands

blessedhands Comrade

Mar 21, 2008

Try a different approach...change your thinking so you can better deal with the students...and just maybe you need to take a vacation.

Know that the past is the past...move on my dear.

4. jwhitg

jwhitg Rookie

Mar 22, 2008

Take it one day at a time. You are still learning and that is okay! The mistakes we make are for a reason - we learn from them the things they can't teach in college. Next year will be better.

5. Calliope

Calliope Companion

Mar 22, 2008

I think this happens to everybody about this time of the year. We're worn out. I noticed I was doing the same thing a couple of weeks ago. In my case I realized it was because I'd been teaching the research paper for 6+ weeks. It's draining. So I started up Romeo & Juliet & my lessons that are fun, and the kids were having a good time. I was laughing in class again.

Plan something fun -- a lesson that is fun to teach & fun for them to do. Shake things up. Take the class outside for a lesson if that's something you can do. I always let mine perform a scene from R&J outside. Have fun with them, and it will rejuvenate you & them.

6. em26stj

em26stj Rookie

Mar 27, 2008

Thanks, everyone. I've been making a conscious effort to make sure I am not letting them get to me and not overreacting.

7. TulipsGirl

TulipsGirl Cohort

Mar 27, 2008

I agree with Calliope: make sure that your lessons are fun to teach and fun to learn.

8. ptlanguage

ptlanguage Rookie

Mar 27, 2008

Calliope: What a great idea to take them outside and have them perform. I am starting The Outsiders on Monday and the kids will love to perform some scenes from that novel. Thank you.

9. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Mar 27, 2008

I agree with the fun stuff - as long as their behavior is manageable during the activity. Even longer read-alouds can help relax everyone.