feeling frustrated and not sure what to do next- advice?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Missangelica14, Oct 31, 2014.

1. Missangelica14

Missangelica14 Rookie

Oct 31, 2014

hi all,
    I have been applying for para jobs since school started and each time I find out from the vice principal that the principal has found someone else to put in there and I haven't been interviewed- well, until this last time:) there was a position that came up unexpectedly and they even had me volunteer in the classroom to see how things went, I gave a copy of my resume, letters of recommendation and got an interview- it had been 2 weeks and I hadn't heard anything until this morning- I found out that they put someone over there who there not sure is going to work out- I was bummed and just in shock because I thought I was going to get this one and now I am lost. they were asking about me to the teachers I volunteered with and the people I worked with in pre k when everyone- the principal, the dean and the vice principal came through and observed...

right now I work in extended day and it is not where I want to be, due to issues with my boss and the fact that I want to be in the classroom and not working with the kids after school. this is the 4th position I have applied for and it is at the school I want- I know the teachers and have been volunteering here for 8 years on and off..

this has been a hard morning after hearing that and having to put on a happy face around my boss who noticed that my attitude was different after not getting a position over the summer..if I could of went home I would of, but I had to stay and stick it out..

I am wondering what to do next... I know I should keep applying, and as something comes up, I am jumping on it and trying not to give up... it has just been hard balancing working ext.day and trying to become a para...

any advice??

3. happybat4

happybat4 Rookie

Oct 31, 2014

Keep applying, keep smiling.

Maybe you can try substitute jobs first? Try to read some literature on special education so you can improve in interviews by using words the district likes.

Send follow up emails thanking everybody for their time and also to ask how you can improve in the future as you really want to be a paraeducator so you can change ives.

You said that they hired someone that is probably not going to work out, stay in touch, the job might open up again.

4. Missangelica14

Missangelica14 Rookie

Nov 3, 2014

thanks for the reply:)

I am working on keeping my head up and staying in a good mood...
    I plan on doing follow up emails this week, last week I just needed a break and wasn't in the frame of mind to do them- I did thank the vice principal for all her help because she has been amazing through all of this and knew how much I wanted this position...

is it wrong to hope that I get to be over there in the end, lol? if I hear the position is open again , I am going to go over and volunteer again.. I just feel weird about doing so now and I am taking a break for a little bit... in the meantime I may read about pre k things and start preparing myself even more for another interview and also put some more stuff in my portfolio...

5. happybat4

happybat4 Rookie

Nov 3, 2014

I am in the same boat for teaching positions. Hard to stay positive sometimes.

6. Missangelica14

Missangelica14 Rookie

Nov 4, 2014

I agree.. it is very, very hard...I try to not have an attitude, but sometimes it just comes out... I am considering changing schools to one that is closer to my house, its just waiting for a position to become available...I have been trying since the summer to get a job as a para and didn't think I would be coming back to extended day this year...I try to focus on my kids and block the other stuff out, but there are times when I know I need a change...

7. Luv2TeachInTX

Luv2TeachInTX Comrade

Nov 4, 2014

Maybe try broadening you search some? Limiting yourself to just one school, is well, limiting.

8. Missangelica14

Missangelica14 Rookie

Nov 4, 2014

very true.. and I do realize this...the school I am at now, where I work ext.day, is the one where I want to be a para at, but I am looking at other options.. there is one closer to my house, in walking distance, that I am hoping have an opening here soon..

9. ktmiller222

ktmiller222 Cohort

Nov 4, 2014

I'm not sure if I read your post correctly but it sounds like you are only focusing of one school or one district?? If so, please don't put all of your eggs in one basket! Explore different areas!

10. bridgetbordeaux

bridgetbordeaux Companion

Nov 4, 2014

This is what happened to me. I subbed all year in one school and when she hired teachers, I didn't even get an interview. I still sub there sometimes but I have done long term subs at other schools and am meeting more people this way. In my county, knowing people really helps.

11. Missangelica14

Missangelica14 Rookie

Nov 6, 2014

Well it may be limiting, but when it is in an area that you can get to, you do what you have to do... plus there is another para position that opened up and I heard that the principal is looking for me to be over there... it is just a matter of talking to the principal about it...

12. Missangelica14

Missangelica14 Rookie

Nov 6, 2014

I do agree with you on this, but in the meantime, I have to focus on the schools that I can get to... if it is not in my area, than those are out of the question...

13. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Nov 6, 2014

Maybe you could get your two threads merged into one, since they are essentially the same thing. I thought I must be seeing double!