feeling drained.....

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by love2teach, Nov 20, 2005.

1. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Nov 20, 2005

anyone else feel like the life has been sucked out of them? Why are our jobs so draning....I wish it was more fun and care free....I feel like I spend each week waiting for Friday....at least this week I only have to wait for Wednesday! :(

3. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Nov 20, 2005

I know the feeling!! Its amazing how much energy it takes to be a teacher:)

4. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Nov 20, 2005

I feel this way too but I think it is b/c I am in a new school. It is taking time getting settled and it really does take a lot out of me. I want to do well and I do a lot instead of delegating it to my aid. I never felt this way at my old school but hopefully next year it will be better.

5. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Nov 20, 2005

This time of year could be one of the reasons. The holidays are approaching and there is just way too darned much to do! Try taking one day off and catch your breath. I have been taking around 2 days off each month for the past two months and I can honestly say that it does help. Our bodies and minds need peace and quiet now and then ... like the house to yourself and watch The Price Is Right!!!

6. dee

dee Companion

Nov 20, 2005

love2teach,

I know exactly what you mean, we have the whole week off and I thought that Friday wasn't going to get here. I know I need the rest, I have slept on and off just about the whole day.

7. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Nov 20, 2005

it's also a hard part of the year for me, just finished conferences and first quarter report cards. That is always a lot of work!!! glad it is done.......but it is definitely draining. I'm ready to have a couple of days off. However, I know it will go too fast.......counting the days until Christmas break. grammy I like your idea.......I wish I could get some personal days.........I only get one per year :(

8. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Nov 20, 2005

That's what I was thinking about personal days...yours are probably limited in most places. We get our vacation time(I have 2 weeks) plus sick days...and we can take the days whenever we want to and for whatever reason...unless there are no subs!

9. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Nov 20, 2005

Oh, but you work all year round, don't you? You deserve those personal days!! I'm so drained by the time mid June hits, I don't know how you keep going all year!!! I'd collapse!!!

10. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Nov 20, 2005

Yes I work year round...but summer is really different. We just hang out and eat and play...it's very relaxed and no deadlines like all year. I used to take summers off, but found it very difficult to go back in the fall and get into the routine again. That's why I started working year round...and take days off whenever I feel like it pretty much!

11. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Nov 20, 2005

Hye you guys get over to my new post about Christmas trees. That'll make ya feel better!

12. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Nov 21, 2005

Two weeks ago we had an evening book fair at Barnes and Noble so didn't get home until 9. Last week we had conferences so didn't get home until 7 (after arriving at 6:50 to open up that day). The following night we were supposed to stay until 7:30 for a family fun night. I took a nap in the teacher's room and found myself on the verge of tears because I was so exhausted. So, I just left, went to bed at 5:30 and slept for 14 hours!

13. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Nov 21, 2005

I'm still feeling quite drained myself...as you guys know, I had an emergency appendectomy the week before Halloween. I was out of school for 3 weeks, and last week was my first week back. But my first week back consisted of report cards, meetings, and parent-teacher conferences! I tried to push back conferences, but my sucky principal wouldn't allow it. The week was anything but restful...I'm tired, but like someone said only 3 days this week! And at least I did get some sleep this weekend:)

14. kburen

kburen Cohort

Nov 21, 2005

You are SOOOOOO lucky! We get 2 personal days :( 10 sick days. I've already taken one personal day when my brother got married. I completely understand the feeling drained thing. By the time I get home and fix and eat dinner I don't feel like doing anything else...Even when I have papers to grade! I usually fall asleep on the couch around 9...I feel soooo lazy!! My bf constantly tells me it's ok because I work hard.....I don't FEEL like I work THAT hard though! I also am very excited about only having to wait until Wednesday and that's a half day for us! YAY!

15. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Nov 21, 2005

We only have 2 days this week!!! Yay!! (Upsadaisy's doing the happy dance. Not a pretty sight!)

16. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Nov 21, 2005

All of the schools here also have just two days this week!

Happy Dance in Ohio. I am doing it under the desk because I have a room full of chemistry students right now.

17. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Nov 21, 2005

I can picture that, Glenda.

18. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Nov 21, 2005

And - is it a pretty sight?!

19. teacherbell

teacherbell Cohort

Nov 21, 2005

This is my first year and I can't believe how tired I am every night. I keep waiting for it to get better.

20. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Nov 21, 2005

We have a 1/2 day on Wednesday. We aren't doing much, doing a few turkey activities, then we will have our feast and GO HOME! I am exhausted and they are too. It is going to be so busy in December!

21. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Nov 21, 2005

We get 3 personal days and 10 sick days each year, but our sick days carry over if we don't use them and the personal days turn into sick days for the following year if we don't use them. Thats how I was able to be out for 3 weeks.

Only one more day of conferences (woohoo!) and then another half day and then Turkey break!! (Leigh's doing the happy dance too!) ;-)

22. kidsalot

kidsalot Comrade

Nov 21, 2005

I know how you feel. Thank goodness for the long weekend!! I love my job but sometimes.... Today is a good example. I had a studnt observed for suspected delays. I also requested a whole class observation(private full day kindergarten) as I have many behavioral issues that are becoming quite problematic. I was hoping for guidance, suggestions anything to help alleviate the problems in my room. Well no such luck. I was told I was doing everything right it is just a very difficult class. I was really hoping to hear that I was doing something wrong or that the physical environment was part of the issue. The psychologist told me straight out that I had my work cut out for me to have these children ready for first grade. Ahhhh!!

23. **Bonnie**

**Bonnie** Rookie

Nov 21, 2005

I think all teachers feel this way and so do their students. Of course the students don't have to grade papers or set up lesson plans, but we are the ones who have to learn it all.

24. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Nov 21, 2005

I made it through conferences. But my body requires about 1 week to get back in form again. I am getting over another cold and cannot wait until these next three days during Thanksgiving Break. It is so draining to be a teacher.

25. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Nov 21, 2005

I get two days for Thanksgiving, and I'm hosting.........YIKES! I will really be glad for Christmas vacation!!!! I'm recovering from conferences too!!!

26. Rosieo

Rosieo Enthusiast

Nov 21, 2005

I wish I were recovering from conferences...we have them next week!

27. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Nov 21, 2005

Yuck..........now you have to think about them over Thanksgiving!!! I pity you!!! :(

28. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 21, 2005

I'm not drained everyday- just the ones that are particularly hard with behaviors, etc. Actually I find my job energizing- I am amzaed every day by how kids think, their exporations and discoveries. (I'v been teaching 9 years so this is not a naive viewpoint) Yes some days are hard- you have to develop a thick skin, let some things roll off you, set y our priorities and do what you know is best for the kids you teach. Put some of the ownership of learnin on the kids themselves- cooperative learning, hands on lessons, etc. Make it fun for them and for you.