Feeling down... :(

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by ciounoi, Jan 15, 2012.

1. ciounoi

ciounoi Cohort

Jan 15, 2012

I subbed for over three years for special ed and elementary classrooms. I LOVED it! I looked forward every day to going to a new class and working with a new group of students. Along the way I got a teaching certification.

Then I worked an LTS assignment from August to December. I'm back to subbing now and I'm getting very frustrated... it's lost a lot of its appeal for me. I miss my students, I miss working at the same place every day, I miss teaching. I go in to classrooms and tend to go home feeling upset because it just bothers me so much that I'm not in charge and that the teacher is yelling at the kids or I'm supposed to give out worksheets that are obviously way to easy or too much than the kids can handle. There's a lot of negativity in schools that I never noticed before. And I hate being treated like dirt by aides or school personnel - at least until they realize I am totally capable of handling a roomful of autistic preschoolers! I just want my job back.... I don't feel like I'm making a difference anymore. I just feel like a warm body in the room... which is honestly not what I felt like before. :-(

Has anyone else dealt with this? Does it get better?

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jan 16, 2012

I'm not sure if it gets better, but keep applying for jobs and LTS jobs. Hopefully you'll find something that gives you a classroom soon!

4. TeachingHistory

TeachingHistory Companion

Jan 16, 2012

I don't know if it gets better, but I know where your coming from. I haven't had a LTS, but I have a group of kids that I see ALL the time when I sub, and have a really good, strong bond with them and their teachers. Teachers gladly leave me lesson plans, make up work, and the freedom to call the shots when something doesn't go as planned, and back me up when I discipline.

I was with those kids 3 out of 5 days last week.

The days when I'm not with those kids or not in that school? I feel like a warm body in the room and the need to prove myself all over again. I know that's how the game is played, but it does get old after a while.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 16, 2012

CIounoi, is there any way you could capitalize on that LTS experience?

I've never subbed, so I'm making this up as I go along.

But I would write a letter to the classroom teacher, the principal, and the superintendent thanking them for the opportunity and asking them to keep me in mind the next time there was a similar opening.

Then I would re-do my resume for the upcoming school year, highlighting the experience you've gained.

6. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Jan 17, 2012

ciounoi,
    You are basically verbailizing the lament that 100% of new teachers relegated to sub teaching, are thinking every single day they go to work. I was just in a school today, and the secretaries at the school were talking to me like I was mentally challenged. They looked at me like I was an alien. That was until I was observed in how I handled my class... Every single day, as the day wears on and I sit with teachers, they ask me if I'm a laid-off teacher, etc... as in, they expect that I am, based on my ability as a sub. Every single day, I get affirmations of my talent as a schoolteacher by the students I work with, by coworkers who see me work, by parents in their approving looks, and pretty much any other way. Every single day.

The sad thing is, in the district(s)/area where I work, jobs are nil. There are no jobs. ALL of us are left to do this, or go waitress, or... I don't know what else.

So to your question, does it get better? Not that I know of. There is no light at the end of my tunnel. Frankly, if I had other options, I'd take them (outside of teaching). Right now, it's this.

Teachers talk about their jobs being "thankless". If that's the case, I wonder what sub teaching would classify as. In any case, GL to you.

7. ciounoi

ciounoi Cohort

Jan 18, 2012

Thank you for the help and suggestions, everyone! It helps to stay busy... so that's my plan for now until I start interviewing again. :)