Feeling down.... and troubled..... and I need a helping hand..... ;)

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Pi-R-Squared, Jul 21, 2016.

1. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Jul 21, 2016

Just had to include the James Taylor lyric....:p

Honestly though, I am starting to feel very down on myself..... I know I need to let go of the "it was my tenure year and they threw me out" mentality but it's how I feel.... I feel as if I should not be still unemployed when I did nothing wrong... When I worked my bottom off and all I get from them was a letter thanking me for my service.... They said, "Welcome to the family." It sure doesn't f***ing feel like family when after 3 years, you're kicked out for no reason..... I was so upbeat at the beginning of hiring season but this sh*t has really gotten me depressed..... I am very sad and still cannot believe this is happening. I cannot even feel happy for one of my college friends who now works where I used to.... almost to the point where I will need to unfriend everyone associated with my old school system (I've already unfollowed most of them)

Dang it.... next week is basically the last week of summer vacation for most school systems around here.... others have 2 more weeks.... I'm running out of hope, options, and time......

3. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Cohort

Jul 21, 2016

I feel for ya since we're sailing on the same boat. Summer is coming to an end...and what's out there...I have one huge lead left.

Good luck...I hope you find a classroom where you can put your talents to use.

4. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Jul 21, 2016

Are you emailing all the schools within your commute radius? The job you are likely to get now is not one that has been posted, but rather someone finds themselves with a math opening and remembers you are still available.

5. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jul 21, 2016

Not to hit a nerve, but did they give you a reason(s) as to why they didn't extend to you an offer of tenure? How are you supposed to improve if you don't know what's wrong? As Jayden, a wise student of mine would say, "That's messed up!"
    In a District I'm trying to get into there's a HUGE scandal /drama :!?::!!: because they didn't give an English teacher tenure and parents and students are pissed off. I don't know any of it or what the problem is, but it still sucks to be in that position.

Sorry.
    :(

6. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Jul 21, 2016

No official reason. By law, they're not supposed to give a reason because I wasn't tenured. I have a feeling it's that the new P had two people who needed jobs. Since there were 2 math teachers non-tenured, problem solved. There were a handful of upset parents because of what happened. They kept saying I was a great teacher..... Many were shocked this happened..... Those on the inside believed I was going to make it but I had my doubts.....It didn't feel right... My wife says it's gonna work out in the long run. She says I would have felt stuck with tenure but in a school whose energy was changing for the worse....

I think I'm just still bitter with what happened..... And, I know others who were non-renewed at tenure year (3 people) who landed positions in the summer. I'm the last one without anything and the prospects are slim to none now.

7. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Jul 21, 2016

Just please don't give up or even slow down -- I can't say I "understand" completely because I've never been non-renewed, but I do know that each summer (and throughout the school year), I started to slow down or even stop with applications because I was losing hope for getting a job for that next year. The one year I kept going, harder than ever, even though it was down to the final week? I got the position a couple days later. It was the one time I actually told teachers who were already lining up month-long positions and other sub days for me...that all of them needed to be on an "if I don't get a position" basis, because I knew that I couldn't give up, despite the many rejections.

Keep looking daily for open positions, keep getting in touch with as many contacts or connections that you might have, keep having former colleagues or people in other school districts put in those "hint hint"s that might give a foot in the door...find every single nook and cranny you can... (or move up to my area, and I could probably find you a job in a heartbeat :p ). People like us with math degrees that even can teach math are harder to come by, and from the passion that you show, I'm sure it will happen eventually.

otterpop likes this.
  8. a2z

a2z Maven

Jul 21, 2016

Just think, you might make more money tutoring the students of the principal's new teacher friends. ;)

9. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Jul 21, 2016

Have you sent thank you notes for the interviews you've had, to give them another chance to remember you? I've heard stories of people getting jobs specifically because they took the time to write thank you notes. It gave them just a little extra edge on other candidates.

It sounds like you're doing everything you can. Wishing you luck! Like mathmagic said, keep trying up to the start of the year, even after if necessary.

When I'd already taken a job in another state and moved, I got a call in my home state from a decent district asking if I wanted to teach something I wasn't even certified for, a month after school had started. I declined, but it happens!

10. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jul 21, 2016

I know the summer is coming to an end, but I've heard many many stories where positions were opened up right after school started. This was probably due to higher student enrollment than what was anticipated and I'm sure some teachers didn't understand what they were getting into, and after a day or so just quit.
    When my daughter was a junior, a couple of years ago, she told me one of her teachers was packing up in the classroom, on the second day, in front of the students and said she was leaving. She was hired at a much better school in the city 30 minutes away.

So I wouldn't give up hope, I know it's hard right now, but keep your energy and positive vibe up, and keep stalking job openings.

otterpop likes this.
  11. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jul 21, 2016

What's your Plan B? Are you going to sub? Look in another industry? I don't ask to be negative. When I start to feel down because things aren't going in the way I hope, I find it helps if I focus my attention on things I can control.

You've done all the "right" things in searching for another teaching position this summer. You either need to think outside the box, or start planning for what you will do if you don't end up with a classroom. As others have said, email every principal, with or without an opening. Revamp your resume. You've got this!

mathmagic and otterpop like this.
  12. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Jul 21, 2016

Yes, I emailed all my thank you letters. What will most likely happen is that I will be subbing. The thought of this makes me mad. I really don't want to but I guess there isn't a choice. What I'm afraid of is whether that would hurt my chances of landing full-time work.....

13. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Jul 21, 2016

Arg... This makes me so angry. Shortages of math and other teachers make news across the country, while good teachers are pushed out for no reason. I'm sorry.

14. JXG

JXG Rookie

Jul 22, 2016

I'm on the same boat as you. I HATE my district for not renewing my contract. It's like they tell you "it's not personal" or "it's not because of your performance", but you can't help but feel it is. I even hate when my old colleagues tell me to "keep my chin up" or some positive crap like that. At this point, I would just take anything I could get. I have an interview for a maternity leave position (something I did not want, not excited at all, but desperate). At least there is a group of teachers here that know the struggle and will help out any way they can. We'll get through this sucky time together. :)

15. Jax123

Jax123 Rookie

Jul 22, 2016

What happened?
    Do you have good observations and good records that you could provide on why you deserve a job still?

16. Teachertimes

Teachertimes Rookie

Jul 22, 2016

I'm so sorry to those of you this happened to. It's not fair.

17. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Jul 22, 2016

Latest update: I had interviewed for a job 65 miles from home. A friend of mine interviewed right after. They called her and offered her the position. My friend and I met for coffee and lunch today and I was so happy for her! She's had 4 different placements in 3 years and was looking and landed something. The catch is that she interviewed yesterday at another place and would rather teach there! The funny thing is that she may turn today's offer down. And still that won't mean I am next in line.... The life of unemployed teachers!

mathmagic likes this.
  18. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Jul 22, 2016

Are you sure you wouldn't be next in line?

Either way, I'm glad that you were able to get another interview so quickly! Keep it up - and still wishing that something great will turn up for you!

19. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Jul 22, 2016

A math teacher has announced her retirement. The job posting was put up yesterday, I applied, and I was emailed by the principal for an interview. It's scheduled for Monday! The school is 27 miles from home!

Please send positive vibes ALL WEEKEND!!

20. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Jul 22, 2016

Will do! Good luck!

21. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Jul 23, 2016

Go go go! :)

newteacher99 likes this.
  22. newteacher99

newteacher99 Rookie

Jul 24, 2016

Yes, I emailed all my thank you letters. What will most likely happen is that I will be subbing. The thought of this makes me mad. I really don't want to but I guess there isn't a choice. What I'm afraid of is whether that would hurt my chances of landing full-time work.....

Your plight sounds like mine. I have done all the right things and no job yet. Math/SPED/SS/LAL teacher MS endorsements. Have some experience but just received my standards this year. Worried.....

23. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Jul 25, 2016

Went to my interview this morning.... It was a so-so interview.... Nothing spectacular.... Nothing bad either.... Definitely not the best.... I got in early around 8:15 for an 8:30. Didn't really have a conversation.... Just straight to the point... I was out by 8:40... It seemed too short...

Oh well, sent my thank you letter.... On to whatever is next!!!

mathmagic likes this.
  24. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Jul 25, 2016

I have been in your shoes...I also was in a position that school started and I did not have a job. I was so depressed. And I was blackballed by my former principal. I was to the point of giving up, but an opportunity that I would have never considered turned out to be my saving grace. I took a tutoring job with the school. I was able to learn about grant writing, set my own hours, and heal. The healing was the big part of it. I truly believe not being renewed turned out to be the biggest blessing of my life. So keep the faith!

25. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Jul 28, 2016

Got my reject email from Monday's interview... The interview wasn't very good anyways so I'm glad it didn't pan out. I'm down to one final decision from a school before seriously considering doing something else.

26. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Jul 28, 2016

I'm sorry to hear that. :(

27. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Cohort

Jul 29, 2016

So sorry to hear...good luck with whatever you do.

28. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Jul 29, 2016

I hope that you find something to sustain you until you find the perfect job. Unemployment, I hope?

29. ece

ece Rookie

Jul 29, 2016

So sorry, I'm in the same boat with it being my tenure year, so I know how you feel. It's so stressful being down to August, but that is when I got my last job offer, just a week before school started! You never know too when a teacher who an offer was extended to decides to take a different offer, and that school is calling back interviewees to find someone else. Good luck, it's not over yet!

30. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Jul 30, 2016

UPDATE: Remember the school that is 65 miles away? They called my friend and she accepted. That was last Friday. She is offered another position the following Tuesday evening and accepts that one. Thursday comes and the board meeting of the place that she prefers announces that she's hired. She calls the P at the school that is 65 miles away and tells him she changed her mind or something to that nature. "The P is not happy," she told me.

Yesterday, the P called me asking if I were still interested!!!! I say yes and he says he needs to speak with other staff and the superintendent about another person and that I might have to meet for a 2nd interview on Monday. He said he'd call and let me know by the end of the day.

So far, he hasn't called and it's Saturday. I feel best case is I get an offer. But the worst case is that 2nd interview!!

Please send some awesome positive vibes! This is the closest I've been to a job offer this summer and has me on edge!

mathmagic, newteacher99 and MrsC like this.
  31. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 30, 2016

Positive vibes headed your way!!

32. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Cohort

Jul 30, 2016

Sending you all the positive vibes I can come up with...go get it!

33. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jul 30, 2016

WOOT, opportunity!

34. ece

ece Rookie

Jul 30, 2016

Awesome, fingers crossed for you!

35. LouiseB

LouiseB Cohort

Jul 31, 2016

Best of luck. Thing will work out!

36. newteacher99

newteacher99 Rookie

Jul 31, 2016

Yes as of tomorrow its August and I have no job. Sigh. I am so stressed.

37. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Jul 31, 2016

Here's hoping for the best!

38. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Aug 1, 2016

:eek:Eeek!! No call yet! It's Monday. He said I'd have a 2nd interview today if necessary. I left him a message last Friday touching base with him to see what was going on. I really really really hope he didn't renege and just chose the other candidate and left me in the dust! He's the P that my friend reneged on. Hope I get some kind of contact soon!

39. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 1, 2016

Don't call again. I know, it is tempting, but I've been in your shoes and have to balance my own anxiety vs. the possibility of annoying the heck out of them.

40. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Aug 1, 2016

I'm with catnfiddle. I would continue to hope for the best, but be realistic. There is a second candidate in play, and you have no way of knowing where you were ranked in relation to that candidate. You can never be sure how things will play out, but you can refrain from being the annoying candidate who is super needy, IMO.

41. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Aug 1, 2016

The P said on Friday that he needed to speak with other staff members and the super to determine IF they wanted to bring the other candidate back for a 2nd interview. So I got the impression that I was the one unless they agreed to bring us both back for a 2nd round.