Feeling Desperate

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by l8ybugmom, Jul 17, 2011.

1. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Jul 17, 2011

Here it is mid-Julyand no job. I try to keep positive but after a year of being unemployed, it is hard to be positive. I have also decided that I cannot go through this anymore. I got my degree in 2008 and I wasn't abel to get a job until after the school year started in 2009 in a not so great situation (I was my students' third teacher). My P was incredibly hard on me and eventually non-renewed me. So all of last year I look for work and couldn't find it. I even started looking into another state. Nothing. I've gotten close...narrowed down to 2 candidates but I never can nail the job. This year, I have even more pressure since I am now divorced. Every summer for the last three summers, I've pounded the pavement and put my life and children's lives on hold to find a job. This is so heartbreaking and I know I'm not alone. Just feeling desperate to find a job...

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 17, 2011

OK, deep breaths and a virtual hug.

It's Sunday morning. A good time to stop and breathe as the kids sleep in, and a chance to re-evaluate.

Narrowed down to 2 candidates in this job market means you have what it takes.

Here's what I would do in your shoes:
    - take a look at your cover letter. Make sure that it's personal-- that YOU shine through. What many of us here (including me) recommend is that it include at least one success story. Tell me the story of one of your students who is better off for having had you as his/her teacher.

- I'm assuming your resume is already wonderful, or you would never have made it to top 2.

- Now it's time to examine where you've looked. Once your cover letter and resume are good to go, here's what I want you to do:
    * email them both to every single public school principal within an hour's drive. (If the drive is too long, you can re-examine after you've gotten the job offer.) Personalize each of those cover letters. If your application is already on file with the district, include that in your cover letter.

* Now find every single Catholic, Lutheran, Baptist, Jewish and Society of Friends school, along with any religions I've left out, wtihin an hour's drive and do the same thing.

* Charter schools. Ditto

* Private schools. Ditto

Then I want you to go to vistaprint and make up a brochure if you haven't already done so. I want it bright and colorful and memorable. Others here can help you with what to include.

When you have spare time (yeah, right. As a single mom.) I want you to go over questions on the interview thread. Make flash cards of the questions and have family and friends quiz you and answer out loud. The point is not to memorize answers, but to be comfortable with the sound of your own voice saying what you really want to say.

So go pour a cup of coffee and get started, OK?? :thumb:

4. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 17, 2011

:hugs:

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 17, 2011

It is a difficult world out there, but it definitely sounds like you've got it. You just need to find the school that cannot live without you!

6. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 17, 2011

Do keep in mind that this is the START of the interview season. Most administrators are coming back to work within the next few weeks. So in that time there have been new jobs created because of teachers leaving, transferring, or additional enrollment. Keep your head up. TRY to stay positive. Desperate does not read well in an interview. You can do this! You have an odd set of circumstances. It is time for a little luck to come your way.

7. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

Jul 17, 2011

The charter is a definite go...opening Aug 15th! I hope they call you and snap you up!!

8. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jul 17, 2011

Hugs to you. Hang in there. There are still def. jobs to be had. I agree, get into a charter or religious school if needed. You can always use it as a stepping stone if needed. I know that sounds awful in terms of using a religious school in that manner, but I know they don't pay well, and you are a single mom...so, I agree. Just try here. I know how you feel...it is so much work looking for a job, sometimes it feels like a job that you are doing for free. But it is too early to give up. If you made it to the final 2, you are a very competitive candidate. Good luck and please post back!

9. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 17, 2011

Keep looking! Like other have said, many principals take their vacation in July. Schools are hiring a little later because of budget issues, so I bet a lot of people will get hired the week before school starts. At my school in Idaho, I know our district hired at least one person the day before school started last year. I even know someone here who got hired 6 weeks into the school year because enrollment had gone up. So definitely don't get discouraged yet!

10. lindsey923

lindsey923 Rookie

Jul 18, 2011

I know how you're feeling! I have been applying like crazy to teaching and non-teaching jobs and have gotten one teaching interview and one human resources interview with a recruiter. Nothing good came of either. =/

11. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 18, 2011

I understand your frustration. For me, due to how things have gone, I'll be getting off to a late start in my career life. I graduated at 23 w/ a degree in behavioral sci w/ no intention of being a teacher at the time, yet started subbing right away, which doesn't sound too bad, but then, finally decided to get into the special ed teaching field 3 yrs later at 26. So I didn't start working on the two credentials I have & my Masters until then. It took a while to pass the CSET. I finally graduated at 31 & got a teaching job right away, but was non-renewed as well, returned to subbing & soonafter, returned to grad school to get into speech-lang pathology. I'll be done w/ my program at 39. I should get a job as a SLPA (speech-lang path asst) for THIS upcoming school yr though. It's been a long road for me as I'm sure for many others.

So have you been subbing all this time you haven't been working?

12. elateacher4life

elateacher4life Cohort

Jul 18, 2011

I understand your frustration, but keep your head up and keep applying. Eventually, the right job will turn up for you. Stay encouraged!!

13. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Jul 19, 2011

Thank you, All, for your kind words and support. Reality is I know that everything you guys are saying is so true but I can't help but feel down.

I recognize the good things that have happened and that I must be a good candidate since I have been chosen for interviews and have been narrowed down to two (three or four). I know some people don't even get that. I will say, though, I am not even being looked at anymore in my area. No interviews at all this year, whereas I have had some in the past. :( Outside of my area in the other state I have been looking into I have had interviews. Go figure.

Maybe revamping my CL would be a good thing. I have made a brochure and many principals have been very positive about it.

Good luck to all of you....and thank you again for your support and advice. I sure hope I get that phone call from the charter school this week, MommyS. :)