Feeling Crappy

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by Pisces_Fish, Jun 3, 2008.

1. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jun 3, 2008

I took on a sub job at the school where I'll be teaching this fall. The school is an hour's drive for me, so I'm doing it to gain experience in my new school, not for the money.

Anyway, I'm feeling awful because I think I'm making myself look bad. I still work nights as a waitress. my boss doesn't seem to "get it." I've told him many times that I can't come in till 4:00 but he still schedules me at 3:00 some days. Since I NEED my waitressing job (subbing pays once a month - if I don't waitress there'll be no gas money), I have had to decline two jobs because my boss had me scheduled for 3:00. Then last week my boyfriend and I were sharing our car because his was in the shop. My BF needed the car for a work meeting, so he took it that day and I had to decline another job.

Then today, while I'm outside feeding my dog, the automated subbing line called. They usually call by 6:30, so by 9:00 I thought I was in the clear and left my phone inside. So, there's another job I couldn't take.

I'm feeling terrible. From now on I will risk my waitressing job if I have to. I will carry my phone with me everywhere. I will not turn another job again...unless they never call again. Am I being paranoid?? I'm sure it's obvious, but boy, this has me worried. :( :(

3. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jun 3, 2008

Pisces,

You are fine. It is 1 hour away. They can find another sub. I wouldn't worry at all. It would be different if you were still trying to get that job, then I could see how you feel bad.

Do not jeopardize your waitress job if you need that money. Maybe have yet another talk with your boss.

I had a teacher come up to me and say "girl, why are you still subbing? Take the rest of the year off, you have the job." She will be on my teaching team and has worked at the school for 10 years. Obviously I kept on subbing (although no more jobs only 2 days left).

4. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jun 3, 2008

Or call the school and tell them you are finishing up at your other job and that is why you had to decline jobs. Tell them going forward you can only sub x days (if you know this)

5. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jun 3, 2008

*sigh*

At least my school knows I drive an hour to get there each day. Last week something good happened, actually. The bookkeeper asked me to sub for a K class on 5/29, but she asked me really far in advance and I guess she never wrote it down. I drove there on the assigned day but the K teacher no longer needed a sub and the school didn't to call me. It sucked that I drove two hours round trip for no money, but at least it made me look good that I held up my end of the bargain. :)

Thanks for the kind words, lemon. I feel a bit better.

6. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jun 3, 2008

How many days of school do they have left?

7. munchkin

munchkin Cohort

Jun 3, 2008

No, you are being too hard on yourself. CALL the schools that you turned down and let them know you had a conflict of schedules, but that you really want to work there.

You do NOT have to tell them why, stuff comes up all the time with everyone that causes them to be late, or miss appointments. That way you will not "look" bad.By calling the missed school, you are showing them you really care, and are a professional.

Put your time request in writing to your restaurant job. Talk to him again. I've been that manager writing up the schedule, and if it "ain't" in front of me, my mind is going gazzillion miles an hour trying to get everything done from ordering enough stock, balancing books, scheduling people etc etc... If you are a good conscientious employee, which it sounds like you are, he should take that into consideration. But be sure to put it in writing!!! Have him sign that he got it and you keep a copy of it too for future reference.
    OR: If you are a regular sub at that particular school, talk to the school that you're subbing at, see if there is a morning duty that you can take over instead of being there until 3:00 pm. Tell them that you have a scheduling conflict and could you please switch off with someone for a duty. New teachers are required to leave earlier atleast once a week here in SC, because they are due at an ADEPT meeting/ induction class for new teachers. Sometimes the grade level person can help you out in that area, especially if you take the dreaded lunch duty or take over the grade levels copying during the planning period enabling the others to take a bit of a mental break midday and pitch hitting for you at the end of the day.
    OR look at getting another type of job that definitely doesn't require you to be there before 4:30. (add a cushion for the inevitable crisis).
    Keep in mind when you start this job in the fall, you will be incredible overwhelmed and tired from being a new teacher. Its rewarding, but it is exhausting at times. Take some time for yourself, and go easier on your psyche.

Good luck and congradulations on your new position!!
    Let us know how it is going

8. munchkin

munchkin Cohort

Jun 3, 2008

Pisces:
    In that district, don't they have to pay you anyway if they are the ones that made the mistake? Here they do, and when they do make a mistake, they make darn sure that they place me somewhere else,since they are paying for it anyway.Or they help me find another position at another school close by. It happens on occassion to me,but if you maintain a good attitude, it does make ya look good in their eyes!:angel:

9. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jun 3, 2008

Lemon, we're done on the 10th, so this craziness will be over soon!

Munchkin, no, my school didn't offer to pay me for the mishap and I'm not going to push it. The bookkeeper felt bad enough for goofing up. I put my schedule request in writing the other day, btw.

10. emptynest

emptynest Rookie

Jun 3, 2008

Wow, you have your plate full! With the shortage of teachers I can't imagine that they would ever stop calling you! I was a substitute for almost 15 years before I finally went back to finish getting my degree and I always got calls even when I had declined because of one reason or another! If you are worried about it, I'd let the school know what you are up against and then from there sub when you can. At least that way they understand why you are declining. Good luck!

11. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jun 3, 2008

I seem to get more sub calls towards the end of the year. I wish I could sub for the summer! I know if they can't get me, they just go down the list. That is the nature of the beast. No need to feel bad.

I hate it when part time jobs think you have no life. Wish I could find one with weekends off! I have seen managers change schedules when I already memorized mine and had plans! That ticks me off!

At this point, if I don't find another pre-k job soon, I will just look for an aide position in the fall during the day, and find a good part time job at night. :(

12. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Jun 3, 2008

munchkin,
    I wished my area paid for me to come in even when they say they need me and I get there and they don't need me. I don't get paid for that just wasted gas money to go there.

13. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Jun 3, 2008

also, Master pre-k,
    I am so with you on that part time job deal. I worked at a resturant chain and subbed before I went started going to college and had to only sub. They didn't care if I made plans and sometimes I wouldn't come back in till lets say friday night and didn't know they added thur. night. or w/e.

14. munchkin

munchkin Cohort

Jun 8, 2008

That's just the thing. If a teacher puts it into the system, that means they need someone. If they are not paying attention, or don't HAVE to call a specific person from a specific list, the system rolls over and calls the approved district list. THATS where I come in, at least at first. I Call the system, because I am out of district. So if it comes available to ME, then it is a real need and the district is paying for the fact I am highly qualified certified teacher, period. Most times I drive a minimum of 25 miles one way. Yes, it is chancy that I will be bumped. But I always insist that they use my time, even if they are not going to pay for it. But only if there is NOTHING else available in the district... which is rare.
    By volunteering to fill in as needed, they tend to call back alot!!

15. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jun 8, 2008

I'd relax. You have the job secured for the fall. You have to take care of you- NOW..... so, you need to do what you have to do. If you feel like explaining - be honest and tell them your situation. I don't think anyone would hold it against you that you are working hard to make a living. I can relate to this myself. In the meantime, congrats on the job in the fall.

16. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jun 9, 2008

I got 4 hours minimum when I was a temp. And I was told as a sub it is the same way.

17. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jun 9, 2008

that's when they cross the line. they think because we make minimum wage they can treat us like they want. in this day of technology, you think they would at least shoot us an email or text our cell phone!

of course, they sound sooo sweet, and have NO problem calling us when they want us to come in for somebody at the last minute! but to call us to say they changed our schedule? not on their agenda

18. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jun 9, 2008

in one district, I came in late, and was told I didn't call in :confused: and so they called the sub, and I should just turn around and go home, because if I didn't they would make me pay for the sub! :unsure: I figured, I was late..and was doing my best just to get there, but did not realize they automatically call when you are there..security and state laws, blah blah...for classroom coverage.

19. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jun 9, 2008

ditto...

I would like to apply for a few places, but feel uncomfortable not having summer work. Now, if (no WHEN) I find a part time job, I can glady apply for a 10 month teaching job, knowing I'll have sastification and peace of work starting in August!!!