Feeling cranky

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Peregrin5, May 1, 2015.

1. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

May 1, 2015

What do you do when you start to feel cranky?

Spring is always a tough time for me. I get all allergic and cranky, the kids get wiggly and start to test and I get impatient.

I want to stop feeling cranky and annoyed. Any tips?

3. comaba

comaba Cohort

May 1, 2015

I play music in class when I'm cranky. I play clean versions of current music after the lesson when kids are working in groups or independently. It always improves my mood. (If they're being testy, I bribe them with the promise of music) :)

4. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

May 1, 2015

If it's allergies bothering you regularly, I highly suggest allergy shots. They have worked wonderfully for me. I'm much less irritable than I used to be, and I no longer need any other medicines.

As far as on the spot, in the classroom relief, I usually have my students work independently for a minute or two while I regroup. If I'm in the middle of a lesson, I call them on their behavior and tell them how it's impacting my ability to teach them and their ability to learn (think the who "I feel" statement thing). I sometimes flat out tell my students that I'm not feeling well or that I'm in a bad mood, and they often straighten up their behavior. All that said, I prefer to just take an extra minute to regroup while they work independently, whenever it's possible.

5. Koriemo

Koriemo Comrade

May 1, 2015

I had a migraine for 3 days in a row and currently can't take any medicine for it due to another medication I am taking... I was SO crabby. I played the "feel sorry for your teacher today!" card and it worked pretty well, but I doubt it would work if I used it again...

Stick with it! Just a few more weeks!

6. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

May 1, 2015

The last two night I have exercised. Although I am sore, mentally my brain feels good. So I am not as crabby as I have been in the past few weeks. My best friend, my two daughters and I went walking at the high school track. We walked two miles and then we did 3 sets of bleachers. (ok the bleachers were on the short side but I did them)

7. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

May 1, 2015

I am taking allergy shots now! I started this last year. I notice a HUGE improvement but I still need to take massive amounts of antihistamine and even then I still sometimes feel pretty allergic.

8. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

May 1, 2015

Good idea. I usually feel better after climbing (I do this twice a week), but the last time I went I just didn't do very well and didn't feel that great afterwards for some reason. I'm going again today so hopefully that will give me more mental energy and bandwidth.

9. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

May 1, 2015

Not quite sure...my allergies have been really acting up the last 10 days or so, and I can't take what I normally do being pregnant. My OB told me I could take Benadryl, but that makes me super drowsy. Obviously, that doesn't work at school! I've been muddling through one day at a time...

10. MsMika

MsMika Rookie

May 1, 2015

Exercise !!
    Totally agree with that one...
    It's almost the cure for anything (when done regularly) , be it physical or mental aliment ...
    If not a 100% improvement, it will decrease the severity of the symptoms.

11. adeeb

adeeb Rookie

May 2, 2015

Agreed with MsMika.

For me, exercise helps a lot, and I always make sure to fit in time for it. Also, I'm not sure how you spend your breaks, but try to take a nice walk or do something that you don't normally do. The change of pace will be refreshing.

Make sure you're eating well and getting enough rest. That also helps with your overall mood! :)

12. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

May 3, 2015

I felt that way all last month! Didn't help that I was sick over Spring Break, then caught a cold. When I get crabby, I start to take time for myself. A walk, a good book, some knitting. Me time.

13. linswin23

linswin23 Cohort

May 4, 2015

I'm been kind of cranky lately, too. I get like this around spring. I think what makes me cranky is realizing that we are so close to the end of the school year, but the last few months as always an uphill battle. The last month or two can be the most challenging in terms of keeping kids engaged and motivated to stay focused and it kind of gets me down..

Also, I start getting excited for the end, too. As much as I love my kids I love having a break!

Lately I've been good about not taking work home and that's helped.

14. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 4, 2015

How about trying meditation or exercising more, if you don't do it already. Otherwise, try your best to take more free time...I know, easier said than done sometimes.