Feeling Burned Out in a Long-Term Sub Position

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by blauren, Mar 17, 2014.

1. blauren

blauren Rookie

Mar 17, 2014

I've been subbing for a few years trying to find a permanent job. I've done a few long term assignments in the past few years in 7th and 8th. I took an 8th grade assignment two months ago. It is at a rough school but things were going pretty well overall. My biggest struggle has been keeping this 8th grade quiet in the halls because it is a k-8 building. In the classroom, they do a pretty good job with getting their work done quietly. The past couple of days the class has been kinda crazy, mostly when it's time to switch classes, walk in the halls, and at the end of the day. This is the first class I've ever had that doesn't really care if they are getting out of school on time. Most classes I've had previously would get quiet to walk out of the school because I would make them stay until they are quiet. This group just doesn't seem to care if they are 5 mins late getting out. I've also done whole class punishments. It kinda works but not as well as I'd hoped. It's just so difficult coming in late in the year and as a sub. This is the only long-term assignment I've ever felt extremely stressed about because I don't feel like I'm doing a good enough job. On top of that, I am dealing with staff who tend to be combative and just feel very isolated. Anyone have any bad teaching experiences especially as a long-term sub? Words of encouragement are also appreciated.

3. ScienceEd

ScienceEd Companion

Mar 21, 2014

Don't give up and look at the positive things the kids do and say to encourage you.

You say they work quietly in the classroom, which is more than some would be able to say.