Feeling Bad - Should I?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ku_alum, Jan 22, 2012.

1. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jan 22, 2012

I teach 2 sections of a college course that meet on our HS campus and only enrolls our HS seniors .... (we call this concurrent credit, but it may have a diff name in other areas).

Anyway, I was told by a colleague that 3 of the students we both have in our classes (my college course) do not want to miss school for a volunteer opportunity for her class because they don't want to miss my class.

They report not wanting to miss my class because we are scheduled to read a piece of short fiction that day and they don't want to read it without my assistance and class discussion for fear they won't understand it fully (they have to talk and write about everything they read).

Should I feel bad about this?

I don't want my students to miss out on great opportunities (volunteering).

I told the students we could meet before/after school and I would help them, but they all said not to worry about it.

Why do I have guilt about this?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 22, 2012

Don't have guilt. Your students are learning to prioritize. There will be other volunteer opportunities.

4. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jan 22, 2012

^ Exactly.

5. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jan 22, 2012

I agree; it seems like they are mature and care about their education. Talk to them, too, and praise them for caring about their education so much, but tell them you are willing to support them if they choose to do community service at some point and time during your class.

6. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jan 22, 2012

I agree. You gave them another option. Do not have guilt about this. Maybe the other teacher can offer them some volunteer opportunities outside of the school day.

7. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jan 22, 2012

I don't think you should feel bad. Is it a once in a lifetime opportunity? That might make a difference...

8. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jan 22, 2012

Thanks, everyone.

I am very good friends with the other teacher and could sense her disappointment ... so, that added to my feelings.

It is not a once in a lifetime opportunity. And, I like the idea of them prioritizing ... hadn't looked at it that way.