Feeling Anxious, Could use second opinion, *first time job seeker*

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by elala8310, Jul 14, 2015.

  1. elala8310

    elala8310 Rookie

    Joined:
    Jul 14, 2015
    Messages:
    5
    Likes Received:
    0

    Jul 14, 2015

    Feeling torn, need second opinion/outside perspective

    Hello all,
    Today I have just been offered my first job offer! It is for an 8th grade position. The principal had kept contact with me because the position had previously closed up due to the teacher choosing to stay at the school rather than transfer out. I had been told by the principal that I made quite an impression on him and he would contact me as soon as he found an opportunity to staff me. Lo and behold, he called me this morning saying he got the official resignation and the position he wanted to offer me is now open!

    He asked me about my other opportunities at the moment and I mentioned that I have an interview this Thursday with my old middle school that I attended here in my hometown. I told him I am completely interested in the position that he was offering me, but also wanted to meet with my old school to take advantage of the opportunity to interview with them, which he completely understood as he said he did not want to blind-sight me and have me miss out on any opportunities I have at the moment. We agreed that I would call him Friday morning with my decision of my acceptance.

    What I'm anxious is about the various opportunities I may be wasting, as I absolutely do not want to completely disregard this job offer considering I made a great connection with the principal. However, I'm afraid I may be missing out on something great with my old middle school, which is an amazing district and dream school. I hate feeling torn between these two, but I'm thinking it is more practical to accept what I have just been offered instead of waiting around for an opportunity that is not for sure. Any thoughts? Anyone ever been in this position? I'm very thankful for both opportunities that have been given to me for the interview and the job offer. My mind is just everywhere right now and I figured I could use some input from other experienced educators and job seekers. :dizzy:
     
  2.  
  3. 4815162342

    4815162342 Companion

    Joined:
    May 17, 2014
    Messages:
    211
    Likes Received:
    13

    Jul 14, 2015

    Its a hard call. Personally, I'd take the offer being given to me, because I worry about the "what if"s.
    If you really must do the 2nd interview, do it. But the other principal might be lining up a back up to take the other offer now.
     
  4. Stlteach89

    Stlteach89 Rookie

    Joined:
    Jul 9, 2015
    Messages:
    63
    Likes Received:
    0

    Jul 14, 2015

    My opinion is a bit biased because I've been out of school since 2012 and searched for an elementary classroom job up until last month. So of course I'd take the offer I have already if you're happy with the school offering you the job. You still could interview, but I wouldn't keep the principal with the offer waiting too long. More likely than not you won't even hear results of your interview until after Friday. I wouldn't decline an offer I already have for an unsure offer from your other interview.
     
  5. Jess93

    Jess93 Rookie

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2014
    Messages:
    31
    Likes Received:
    0

    Jul 14, 2015

    If you end up going to the interview, make sure to mention at the interview why you really want to be a part of the school. Be sure to inform the principal that you like his/her school so much that you haven't officially accepted a job offer at the other district. Then, state how although you have this offer on hold, the principal is eager or has a time limit for a decision to be made. This will either: A)Cause the principal to be frank, make a quick decision, or let you know your odds B)Attract the principal into hiring you because other schools are interested C)The principal won't care. Options A & B are most likely. Do not make the principal of the current offer's school wait more than 48 hours after the 2nd interview of the other school. IMO, principals can perceive this as being disrespectful or simply become unmotivated in hiring you.

    Just because a school is considered as a high paying, exceptional academic excellence school doesn't always mean it's great to work for. This other contender may be just right!
     
  6. vickilyn

    vickilyn Multitudinous

    Joined:
    Jul 19, 2014
    Messages:
    11,418
    Likes Received:
    2,853

    Jul 14, 2015

    I don't know how long you have been looking, but I am infamous for stating that how can you call something a dream district without having lived in it for a while, and not as a student. Things you remember fondly from your student days may not hold up to scrutiny with teacher vision and some years of experience.

    I am also fond of saying that I might, MIGHT, hold out for a position I knew I really wanted, but only if I already had a job that pays the bills. There is a big difference in waiting for the one in the bush while you are a starving student trying to pay your own way. Support yourself, take the job, learn a great deal from it. If you are still interested in your old school after you have taken the rose colored glasses off a couple of years down the line, sign up to be notified if a position opens up, or keep an application on file. Although it doesn't feel this way now, the truth is that positions open and close all the time, but you just happen to know about this one, right now. With some experience, you might be their top candidate ever and they will be beating a path to your door, while now you might be a promising rookie at best.

    Take care of today, keep your eyes on being better tomorrow, plan for a brighter and bigger future, whether than means more PD, school, etc. Grow yourself into someone they can't live without. A funny thing often happens in those years of self improvement - we often find that NOW we have learned EXACTLY what we need to make us happy, or, we have created the dream employee, and the dream job is the one you created and crafted along the way.

    I've had some real experience along the way, and I have never ceased to be amazed at how we have the ability to make many places, not just one, our "dream job." It is about our growth and appreciation of subtle factors that you can only hope to know with some miles on the odometer.

    Wait if you must, but be prepared to lose both jobs. If that scenario is OK, then you are fine. If, however, that would be devastating, get your priorities straight. It is very hard to argue with being able to pay your bills, in my experience.
     
  7. teacherintexas

    teacherintexas Maven

    Joined:
    Jul 7, 2005
    Messages:
    5,282
    Likes Received:
    749

    Jul 14, 2015

    At the end of this upcoming interview, ask about the timeline for a decision, letting them know you have another offer but would prefer their district. If you don't get a call offering you a job later that day, take the bird in the hand with no regrets.
     
  8. ~HistoryNut~

    ~HistoryNut~ Rookie

    Joined:
    Jul 14, 2015
    Messages:
    20
    Likes Received:
    0

    Jul 14, 2015

    I was in this very situation just today. I had an interview scheduled with School A for Thursday, but late yesterday School B requested an interview today. I had no preference over either school and in fact did not want high school at all. I figured I would go to both and probably not get an offer from either since I have never interviewed before. However, I got a good vibe from B's principal and about halfway through I got the impression I stood a chance. I was right--I was repeatedly offered the position on the spot and was asked if I planned to attend my other interviews. I wasn't sure, and after the principal again stated intent to contact HR with the thumb's up, I expressed my gratitude and left not quite sure what to do. I still had that interview with another school in B's district and was awaiting word on another. Also, my preferred district (where I have done all my field experiences) is not even to the stage of external hirings, so there is still hope I can procure a position, perhaps even at middle school (though I asked a principal I know in the district and he said that due to our state dropping SS SOLs at the MS level, nobody wanted to vacate their positions anymore=bleak prospects).

    It didn't take me long to decide that even though the position was not my dream job, in my "dream" district, at my preferred level...that it was a sure job and I was clearly valued as a candidate. The principal told me specifically what value he thought I could bring to the table and that I would be in an environment very supportive to new teachers. I still felt ambivalent to School A, and I could not justify losing a sure position on the unlikely chance my preferred district had a better opening later in the summer. My gut said to take it, and within an hour I had decided to. I am two months out of college with an endorsement that is not in really high demand so I wasn't going to turn my nose up at such a fortunate opportunity. Many of my classmates have been applying all over the state with nary a nibble and that definitely factored in as well.

    Good luck deciding!
     
  9. swansong1

    swansong1 Virtuoso

    Joined:
    May 19, 2007
    Messages:
    6,740
    Likes Received:
    1,696

    Jul 14, 2015

    This is excellent advice!
     
  10. jadorelafrance

    jadorelafrance Cohort

    Joined:
    Jul 10, 2015
    Messages:
    620
    Likes Received:
    255

    Jul 15, 2015

    Agreed! The first two jobs I took I needed and took when I was offered. However, when I applied and interviewed with my third and current position, I had the upper hand in a sense because I had experience and a master's that they were looking for and had my current job in case. It is my dream position and school and I got to choose it at the right time.

    You have the opportunity to gain experience and meet colleagues that will guide you along the way. You may find that you love it there and may never want to leave! I'm afraid if you accept the job and then back out, you would be burning bridges.

    Also, perhaps you will be offered the position on the spot or the same day (happened to me) if they really like you and want you to choose them. I don't see the harm in going to the interview since the experience is never a bad thing, but if they don't let you know by Friday, then take the definite offer because you don't want to keep the other school waiting.
     
  11. elala8310

    elala8310 Rookie

    Joined:
    Jul 14, 2015
    Messages:
    5
    Likes Received:
    0

    Jul 15, 2015

    Thanks to all for your input, especially you, vickilyn! Your advice really opened my eyes as to what I have in front of me and how to properly envision my future. I called today and accepted the offer! The principal was excited that I contacted him sooner than expected. He said I'm pretty much done with the first step of a two step process (me interviewing & him offering the position). So now, I am just waiting for HR to contact me to discuss salary and benefits and to make it completely official! I'm still feeling anxious, but more of a good anxious now :) The anxiety will turn into more excitement once I make it completely official with HR! Thanks again to all for the input and great advice!
     
  12. vickilyn

    vickilyn Multitudinous

    Joined:
    Jul 19, 2014
    Messages:
    11,418
    Likes Received:
    2,853

    Jul 15, 2015

    Congratulations are in order - where is the champagne when you need it??? You are right - it turns in a wonderfully happy anxious excitement, but enjoy it, because you earned it.
     
  13. SCTeacher23

    SCTeacher23 Comrade

    Joined:
    Jun 3, 2009
    Messages:
    378
    Likes Received:
    3

    Jul 15, 2015

    Congrats! I think you made the right choice. :)
     
  14. Stlteach89

    Stlteach89 Rookie

    Joined:
    Jul 9, 2015
    Messages:
    63
    Likes Received:
    0

    Jul 16, 2015

    You definitely made the best choice. Congrats! :)
     

Share This Page

Members Online Now

  1. miss-m,
  2. rokama
Total: 594 (members: 4, guests: 563, robots: 27)
test