Feeling annoyed and overwhelmed...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Donne, Aug 25, 2011.

1. Donne

Donne Rookie

Aug 25, 2011

:-( I'm feeling a little annoyed this morning.

I over heard a few teachers talking about my room this morning. It's really nice and neat, but my walls are not filled with posters. There's color in my room (i.e. bulletin boards and the few posters I have), but there's not much beyond that. Most of the other teachers are elementary teachers, so they have a ton of gadgets and what not.

I'm a new teacher. This is my first year, and no one has really communicated with me about furnishing the room. I do need more posters, but that's not going to happen until I get my first check. :blush: I just want to teach. I am here to teach and inspire my students. I'm not here for the glitz and glamour. I would love for my room to have more materials, but that's not something I can provide at this time. :-( If they have suggestions, I would rather them share those suggestions with me instead of making snide remarks.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 25, 2011

Fill the walls with focus charts, posters you make with your students reflecting THEIR thinking....it's about CONTENT, not glitter. Your room sounds bright and organized with a few pops of color. Thoughtful displays of content related charts will serve your students better than random posters.

4. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 25, 2011

I tend to put up a welcoming doorway or hallway display and then put background for bulletin boards in the room. That stuff I get from the supply room (bulletin board paper). I am an elementary teacher so I do label cubbies and put up an ABC line, etc. but for the most part the actual "posters" don't come up until the students are there. Why? They make them! It is much more meaningful that way! So it looks like areas are prepped when in reality it is filled in along the way.

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 25, 2011

I wouldn't worry what the other teachers think about your room. It's about the learning that goes on in your room. Let the students' work decorate the room!

6. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Aug 25, 2011

Agree. I'm not much into putting a lot of decorative posters. I mosty put posters for my students to use as reference that many times I make myself of I have students make them.

7. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Aug 25, 2011

Form over content or content over form. The age old issue.

Stop right now from letting them get you down. The kids don't need glitz to distract them. They need focused learning in an environment where they know the most important thing is that relationship between you and each of your students. It isn't about the stuff! It isn't about pretty! It's all about learning. Find the main things that need to be avialable for students at your grade and provide that. Anything else is distractors and extra work and money for you. Classrooms are not playrooms. You end up doing a great job this year, wait till you hear their talk next year!

Please, please, don't let busy bodies get you down by judging material goods.

Please take this the right way, it is not intended to be a slam but some good advice. Thicken your skin. Don't take things like this personally. Those that like to judge and talk will continue to do so regardless of the what you do, how you do it, or what you have. They thrive on the controversy, not the issue they are discussing.

Good luck this year.

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 25, 2011

Give it 3 weeks.

They'll hear the kids in homeroom talking about you-- about how you make the material come alive to them, about how well you explain things.

They'll see all the student work displayed in your room.

They'll regret their hasty decisions, and start warming up to you.

Just bide your time and concentrate on the kids, not the glitter. The "glitter" teachers don't last long. The ones with depth do.

9. Mellz Bellz

Mellz Bellz Comrade

Aug 25, 2011

You definitely don't need fancy posters and further more if need be you can always create your own for important info with some markers and chart paper. As someone else mentioned as the year progresses you may want to hang up some reference posters that you've created based upon what you are currently studying.

What I saw a few of the teachers do at my school on the bulletin boards and walls is put up a sign that says COMING SOON. Maybe you could do something like that to show your students (and those nasty teachers) that something important will be showcased there in the next few weeks!

10. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Aug 25, 2011

I am in my 10th year and I was struggling with this today - I was thinking my room looked a little bare and I wanted to hang a few more things, so I dug through a drawer to see what I could find. Not much. I think I am going to have the kids do something that will decorate the room soon.

The teacher across the hall from me has a gorgeous classroom. She has an aquarium, plants, she draws pictures on the board and has a quote up every day. But you know what? I can appreciate her room, but it just isn't my style.

11. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Aug 25, 2011

At my school, we are discouraged from putting up store-bought posters. The walls and BBs should display current student learning. I did take a chance and I put up several commercial posters for the start of the year but I know I will use them as a teaching reference from day one. That way, when questioned, my students will be able to explain the usefulness of having that poster displayed. I will add posters that reflect current learning as we make them. This way these store-bought posters won't be so noticeable. I worry every day that my principal will come in my room and complain before my students begin school in two weeks!

12. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 25, 2011

You know what I like.... A first year teaher that is focusing on what matters... The curriculum, content, planning. Let the students be your focus. The first year is tough enough. If you are truly focusing on the students and your instruction, I guarantee by the end of the year you will look back at your first year successfully. The other weak spot for new teahers tends to be classroom management. So ask away if you need to and forget about the poster stuff. That's superficial.

13. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Aug 25, 2011

Just like WindyCityGal, we are discouraged from putting up store bought posters. My room has my StoryTown focus wall, and then I have two bulletin boards I covered with some nice school theme fabric. On them, and next to them on the wall I plan to put up student work. I spent money on the fabric because I really liked it, but could just as easily have used the rolled paper to give it a nice color.

Save your money and wait for the student work. It'll be much more meaningful.

14. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Aug 25, 2011

I prefer my room with less visual clutter. My seniors will be in college next year, and there will be absolutely nothing in the way of decor. They might as well get used to it!

Actually, I have a pair of metal sconces on one wall with battery-operated candles that I put on when we're reading Shakespeare; between them is a poster that I change according to what we're reading, and flanking them are enlargements of two photos I took in England. The other wall has a Vistaprint banner with an inspirational quote. I'll add some student work before BTS night.

15. jidgey

jidgey Rookie

Aug 25, 2011

ugh...that is annoying. Just do what you feel is best...who cares what they think. I liked the ideas of putting up the kids work. That's what really matters!

16. Donne

Donne Rookie

Aug 25, 2011

Thank you all so much for your support and advice. I'm looking forward to using some of your great ideas (i.e. student work). One thing that I definitely need to work on moving forward is not allowing negativity to affect me in this way. I certainly will not allow this to dim my excitement for the new year. I am thrilled to meet my students. Their academic growth is my main focus this year.

17. alilac

alilac Rookie

Aug 25, 2011

The more you put up on the walls, the more it's ignored. I see walls full of posters and it's all so busy it makes me cringe.

Less is more. :thumb:

18. teach'ntx

teach'ntx Comrade

Aug 25, 2011

I am an elementary teacher and started mid-year last year, so I did nothing to the room. THis year, I added lots of plain paper on the walls with cute border to go with my theme. I then added the subjects to the top and left the rest blank except where my daily calendar section is. That area is full as I use it daily from day one. I have already started adding words and examples that I have used in class. I added the color on the walls because I wanted something cheerful for my students (most have pretty tough homelives) but I plan on filling it with their work and stuff we cover in class!!!!

19. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Sep 3, 2011

A bit funny to me. Everyone at our school was on the same page this year as far as decorating went. We didn't have time. Every single bulletin board in the hallways had material and a border and maybe the teacher's name. That was it.

Things are going up slowly now, filling with student work, but no one cared one whit that there was any decorations. The school was clean and freshly painted and looked fine.

The kids and parents didn't care either.

20. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Sep 3, 2011

For students with ADHD, less is better. I decorate my room for me. I'm the one that's in there all day long. I put up less this year, in part because I"m changing how I do things.

21. mmemarcotte

mmemarcotte Rookie

Sep 3, 2011

as many people have said, store bought posters are NOT going to benefit your students at all. dont worry about what the others are saying.

22. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Sep 3, 2011

Make some work display thingies. The K teachers at my daughter's school take big sheets of construction paper, put a cute novelty notepad sheet at the top with their name on it at the top, laminate it, hot glue 2 clothes pins and then clip the work up with those clothes pins. That will take up some wall space! :D

23. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Sep 3, 2011

[​IMG]
    This is what I'm talking about. They have theirs out in the hall.
    BTW, That's my girl :D

24. soleil00

soleil00 Comrade

Sep 5, 2011

Half the teachers at my school had to take down decor in their room because having more than 40% of your walls covered is considered a fire hazard. So when the fire marshal came through to do his bi-yearly rounds, it ticked a lot of teachers off because they had to take down stuff they had just put up!

25. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Sep 5, 2011

My classroom has always had lots of color. I have a title for the differing boards in my room and not a thing other than a title and spots to hang student work and student thinking. Now two weeks into the year, I have wonderful displays of my student work. It is filled with brightly colored kid work... One display is about what the kids want to be when they grow up and what path they will take to get there... beginning THIS year. They even made a picture of themselves as they went through this journey. Another display has the kids names attractively arranged and what their names mean. This was our first "research" project. The kids loved it! Another display has a place in the state where the student visited and why that place was special, what the weather was like, the basic geographic location and its significance to the students. Another display has our high frequency words which the kids should already know how to spell. The kids wrote the words on notecards and now are prominently displayed on our Word Wall. Last I have an area for anchor charts that the kids and I have created by subject. My classroom is still bright and cheery, covered with student work, and not a single poster in sight. Don't waste your money on posters. Put up some kids work. Parents care about what their kids are learning and doing... not some dumb poster that says.... DARE TO DREAM.

26. jwteacher

jwteacher Cohort

Sep 5, 2011

I remember in my first year of teaching my cooperating teacher and principal would get on me about not having enough posters on the wall. My God, how that was a mistake. Like others said, most of the wall space should be reserved for student work and anchor charts.

27. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 5, 2011

If you're really concerned about bare walls, you could always put up a College Corner with a few pom-poms and pennants from your alma mater or local universities.

28. linswin23

linswin23 Cohort

Sep 6, 2011

Even when I was in school I found it distracting that some of my teachers have posters all over the walls (and I still do now!). I liked when my teachers has charts we could refer to like you said you were going to put up! That helps so much...

You could have the students put up art work or put up their best work? That's always a great way to show the students you care and at the same time it's a way to have something up on the walls.

Also, who cares about those busy bodies? It seems to me that they are looking for ways to be negative. I've found that when people talk about other people in that context they are incredibly insecure.

29. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Sep 6, 2011

Our admin specifically tells us not to go out and buy all those store bought posters. They really don't want any of that up, except maybe a job chart or something along those lines (its elementary school). They do want to see, as others have said, evidence of the students' learning, things that we are currently covering. So for example, if I'm doing a unit on the water cycle, the science charts I've made with the students about the water cycle are hanging up in the room (after we've already discussed them together.) The students are supposed to be able to "read the room" look around at the charts and use them as a resource if they're struggling with a new topic. We do a lot of process charts (especially in math) that tell students what to do step by step. The school provides the chart paper and markers (which aren't too expensive anyways) and its a very cheap way to "decorate" the classroom. I use lots of different colors to make the room colorful and make the charts easier for students to read.

I think its much more meaningful for students to see stuff like that on the walls than fancy store bought posters with inspirational quote after inspirational quote. They don't even read them!

30. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Sep 6, 2011

Don't let 'em get you down, Donne!!! Keep your head up!!! :D

31. Ambrosegirl84

Ambrosegirl84 Companion

Sep 7, 2011

I for one get really distracted, almost headachy, when I'm in a classroom that has posters on every inch of the wall! If I find it distracting, how much more will it be for my students? For that matter, will they even pay attention to it if the room is just wallpapered with it?

I put up the occasional poster (ones I got for free from retired teachers!!) that has to do with something we're studying, but otherwise I do the student work/artwork thing, too.

32. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 8, 2011

A nice addition to any age classroom is a map/maps. Plants add a nice feel to the classroom. I "decorate" the walls with the work the children do. I can't stand a "cutesy" classroom.

33. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Sep 9, 2011

I have always thought that many teachers post too many things on the wall. Children need blank space around the posters. Too many items on the wall are confusing for kids. You are DAP.

34. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Sep 10, 2011

How awful of those people to judge and gossip. They were new teachers, once. The room decor is one of my favorite parts of the job - but in importance, it ranks WELL below academics, routine, structure, relationships with students, etc, etc, etc.

The best room decor is child-produced work, anyway. Fill your room with that. Make it child centered, not store-bought. You'll show them what a wonderful classroom looks like!

35. Roobunny

Roobunny Comrade

Jul 2, 2012

I agree with this - I've just been hired as a new teacher and my AP gave me good advice: Don't spend money on posters. Almost an entire wall of your room will be for a word wall while the rest of your walls should be filled with student created anchor charts.

36. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Jul 2, 2012

Word Walls---ugh, what a terrible fad those are. When I did my practicum, my coop there told me not having an updated word wall was one of the only things she got marked down for...I think student work is much more valuable.

37. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jul 2, 2012

Since this thread is so old I wonder how the OP's year went and if they were happy with the set up of the room as the year progressed.

38. linswin23

linswin23 Cohort

Jul 2, 2012

I would like to hear this as well! I am an upcoming second year teacher and there's no way I am going to be able to decorate my room and blow a ton of money on crap to hang on the walls, so I'm going to have my new kids do it :) YAY!

39. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 2, 2012

Don't let 'em get you down. There's nothing I hate more than seeing a bunch of random posters in teachers' classrooms (I saw so much of that last year when I taught middle school).

Stay true to yourself and don't let their rude comments get to you!

40. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jul 2, 2012

My room always feels bare at the beginning. As we get into the learning, content related supports are put up on the walls. Student work gets displayed and celebrated. The word wall fills up. Don't despair, by the end of the year you'll be amazed at how much their is to take down and clean up!!

41. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 2, 2012

:thumb:

Not a fad at all....but as a professional educator, one should use such tools THOUGHTFULLY, JUDICIOUSLY, and TEACH INTO them....if that's not what you're doing, it's wasted space.