Feeling anger at my school

Discussion in 'General Education' started by daisycakes, Jan 26, 2015.

1. daisycakes

daisycakes Companion

Jan 26, 2015

My principal is trying to insist I go to a conference during the summer when I have something else to do. I originally agreed to go but it turned out he told me the wrong dates and I am busy that week. I am frustrated and I will get the union involved before I go. I feel like, if I expected to be available for work during the summer I should be paid on the year round schedule instead of the 10 month schedule!

I spend 8 Saturdays a year plus a week in the summer in pd. I was told we would get units for these by my p. This was false. We all tried to quit when we found out and he said we could not quit, that even he wasn't allowed to quit by the district and he would be there suffering through with us this weekend. He said this on Friday. Guess who never showed up on Saturday???

Also, I turned in my for reimbursement forms weeks ago for another required conference and just got an email saying I can't claim travel expenses from my home to the conference, even though my p told me I could. They say I have to do it from my school, but it was a Saturday so I wouldn't have been at school anyway!

I feel exploited and nickeled and dimed. I have to work an extra 2 weeks in the summer plus an extra 2 weeks during the year for no pay. I am exhausted and fed up and I'm frustrated that I'm still naive enough to believe my principal is a person of his word. I don't want to cause a scene with the union, but what else can I do???

3. Luv2TeachInTX

Luv2TeachInTX Comrade

Jan 27, 2015

I would be up front and tell your P your concerns. Say that you booked a non refundable vacation for that time based on the original dates you were told.

4. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Jan 27, 2015

Tell your P you can't go because your P messed up the dates and you have plans. Throw in a "sorry" if you want.

I am not sure, but unless you signed an agreement with your P or there is a written agreement already in place; I don't know if the Union can force your P to pay you for going to PD. File a complaint or grievance against your P anyway, though.

I learned a long time ago that my district is not good about PD reimbursement for non-district sponsored PDs because the school either has to pay or put in the paperwork. And, I REFUSE to work for free in the summer so I never agree to go to summer PDs unless it is district mandated.

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jan 27, 2015

Agreed. Don't be bullied.

6. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jan 27, 2015

Definitely go to the union. It doesn't seem like this P could be reasoned with at all.

7. ArtTeacher01

ArtTeacher01 Rookie

Jan 27, 2015

I agree with the above comments. I would imagine that your principal would be reasonable and allow you to miss the PD in the Summer since s/he did not give you the correct date. I'm thinking it sounds like either your principal is misinformed or a little scattered.

BTW, I'm curious about all the Saturday PD. What's the deal with that? If they want you do do in-service PD, it seems they can get you a sub. Just my opinion... :)

Adam

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 27, 2015

Daisy, does your union contract address pd and reimbursement?
    Definitely bring in your union rep with you and tell P you have made I changeable summer plans based on the original dates.

9. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jan 27, 2015

If you do bring a grievance or confront the P, just a heads up that you may want to look for a new school next year. Your P sounds the the type of person who may hold a grudge. :(

10. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jan 27, 2015

None of this is okay.

In the future, I'd make sure all correspondence with him is via email. Keep your receipt, so to speak! :2cents:

11. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jan 27, 2015

What a mess. Did the principal tell you the dates or email them?

12. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Jan 27, 2015

Just wondering ... As an Administrator, legally, do you have to reimburse a teacher simply because you promised you would?

I am assuming Admin does not unless there was some written agreement involved (either between the school/Admin and the teacher or between the district and the teacher).

13. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jan 27, 2015

That's why I recommended to the OP to get everything in writing. He can easily say that he never said that!

When dealing with this type of administrator, you've gotta cover all the bases.

14. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jan 27, 2015

An administrator (or ANY boss) who gives their word that something will happen (and then refuses to comply) should not be in an administrative position if they have such low scruples or morals.

Those types of administrators have lots of teacher turn over and usually karma will come back to bite them in their posterior!

15. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Jan 27, 2015

IA with both of you, but unfortunately, it seems that teachers in this position really have no recourse. :mad:

16. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Jan 27, 2015

As I have read this thread, it seems to be a rehash of an earlier thread on the exact same subject. What has changed here, except that finance department probably told principal that he couldn't reimburse for this or that? Is OP not getting a stipend now? Is the money all gone? Those are the questions you ask the money people to clarify.

Are the cohort classes (Saturdays and summer) mandatory or voluntary? Recommended is NOT the same as mandatory, so let's be careful not to accuse the school of requiring those meeting dates as PD. The courses MAY count as PD, as graduate courses do, but if not mandatory, it is personal gain, either by course credit or improved teacher skills.

OP agreed to go to the conference, apparently, without seeing a flyer or looking up the information online, to confirm the dates were NOT in conflict with her prior commitment. Sloppy. The school probably paid fees or enrollment costs based on her commitment. I would think that OP has some part of the blame here, although I know that is not going to be a popular viewpoint. Perhaps another colleague can be convinced to take her place?

Reimbursement for mileage almost always starts at the school, which is where the school's responsibility begins. If the cohort meets at the school, they have no responsibility to pay for travel. If they meet somewhere else, they will almost certainly pay for the distance from the school to the meeting place. I learned this when I did home instruction on Saturdays.

What I also know is that the finance department has a thousand and one rules and regulations to meet federal and state guidelines, and those change frequently. If anyone tells me the school is paying for this or that, I always call finance and get their take on the information, and become aware of rules or restrictions. It is almost impossible for them to keep it straight, so how would the administrators be able to keep every regulation at the tips of their fingers? Admittedly, the administrators should have offered to inquire about financial matters and then get back to the OP, but I think we are jumping the gun to think it was a malicious lie.

I see fault enough to go around for everyone. OP, get it in writing, check the details before agreeing to commit to something that will require attendance fees, and if something financial is in question, ask the money people. I don't know anything about the principal, but I do see inconsistencies that make me question whether he is as inconsistent, lying, or unreasonable as some of the posts would make him out to be. You know what they say - there are at least three sides to every story, and the truth is shrouded in the middle.

OP, if you can't approach your union, and I got the impression that you don't want to "bother" them, then what are they there for? However, you would need to get your facts in chronological order to have them do you true service. I would suggest that you do that, anyway, so that things don't get murky with time, lest this thing raises it head again in the future. Coincidentally, it will bring the areas that could have been handled better, by all parties involved, into clearer focus. Consider it reflection, a teacher's best tool. :2cents:

17. daisycakes

daisycakes Companion

Jan 27, 2015

This is not the same thread, as that was an earlier issue when I thought the conference conflicted with a stipended PD I had during the summer. I want to complete that summer PD. Now he is saying it is a later date, meaning it conflicts with something else I have planned. However, I will address a few things:

The conference I agreed to go to, sloppily, according you to, without seeing a flier, is not yet posted online and is only available to a group of schools, so perhaps it won't be posted online at all. I confirmed the dates with him twice and both times he told me incorrect dates. I didn't get the correct dates until yesterday. I think confirming 2 times is sufficient.

The mileage reimbursement has been resolved -- I am getting reimbursed from my home since it was a Saturday.

I can't lie and say I have something else during that week. He asked me why I couldn't go when he told me the correct dates and I told him and he said, "You can do that next summer!" He obviously doesn't care about my plans. No stipend/payment has been offered for going to this "mandatory" summer conference. However, I am getting a stipend for attending a week-long PD the week before the conference.

The PDs were voluntary to sign up, but we were told we would get units. When we found out we won't get them, we all tried to quit. We were told we could not quit and that, now that we had signed up, completing them is mandatory.

18. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Jan 27, 2015

This would infuriate me.

You told me I would get units and your were wrong. Now you tell me it is mandatory, I think you are wrong again.....

19. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Jan 27, 2015

Please don't take this the wrong way, but I have read both threads multiple times, and I don't think I understand any of it. This is what I thought the facts were:
    1. You are taking a set of courses that meets about 8 Saturdays and a week in the summer, ending with a stipend this year, and some certificate. I know nothing about the courses, or how they were recommended to you, or how many people are taking them.
    2. You were asked to go to a conference that would have kept you from finishing the course listed above, preventing the acquisition of the stipend, and forcing you to postpone completion by a year. I thought the principal said that you could finish the course next year, when the issue was raised, almost word for word what was said in this thread.
    3. These courses were voluntary, but recommended.
    4. Your principal asked you to attend a summer conference that conflicted with the coursework in the summer. See #2.
    5. The conference is mandatory. Does that mean everyone will be going? If not, how was the decision made to send you? Just curious.
    6. Did someone have to pay for the PD that you can't quit? Is this PD the courses? I am finding that part hard to understand.
    7. You have not, to date, brought your union rep into this, but I don't know why.
    8. You are getting mileage reimbursed for something that happens on Saturday, but I would only be guessing if I said it is the stipend course.

I understand not being tenured, but I don't understand not having your union rep do his job, which is to represent you. Unions tend to take it to heart if it appears that administration has retaliated and fired or not renewed someone because the union was called in. Trust me, I will stay off of your thread. I did not mean to insult, but I really can't keep the two threads straight, and I do think there are conflicting details that just boggle my brain. However, I am going to say that I am sure this is all my mistake - the winter storm did me in. Best of luck and I wish you well.

20. daisycakes

daisycakes Companion

Jan 27, 2015

The old thread is now irrelevant since the course has been moved to a new date. I didn't like the old date since it delayed my course completion and made the work I did to earn a stipend so far wasted effort, but I absolutely can't do the new date for personal reasons. That is the part you are missing. I am one of 2 people being selected to go the conference based on my subject area.

The saturday classes + 1 week in summer were voluntary at first, but we were told we could earn units. We started the courses and it turned out there were no units. However, we are now required to complete them. No one has paid for them, but the school says we have to go because they agreed we would go to the organization running them. He is now forcing all teachers who originally signed up to go, even though, by his reasoning, he is also required to go since he signed up as well.

The reimbursement I am getting is from a different conference. The accounting person said he was confused when he told me I wouldn't get it.

I realize it is confusing because I am required to do a lot of stuff at my school. I am required to spend 2 weeks of saturdays in classes and conferences during the year. I am required to spend an additional week in class during the summer. Now I am being required to spend an additional week at a conference when I already have a plan for that week.

21. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Jan 27, 2015

I truly am sorry, and I hope your life gets easier. Because I used to let people walk all over me, I am now much stricter about understanding the whys and hows when I sign up for or am asked to sign up for things. I also don't accept being pushed around. I do get everything in writing, check the facts, and then check them three more times, just so that I understand what my responsibilities are. It has given me a reputation of being a little difficult, but it also makes me the person people run to when something doesn't seem quite right. I have reached the age where I would refuse to be assigned to a conference without a fight, especially if it isn't written in my contract. My mom always said that forty was a wonderful age for women - it was about the time that most of them found their voice and how to speak up for themselves without apology. I never forgot that; then one day, I turned around to find I had reached the magic age, and her words turned out to be a true prediction for me.

Hoping you can find a way to be nicer than I would be!

22. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jan 27, 2015

What happens if you just 'don't go'?