Feeling and acting lazy!!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Pi-R-Squared, Jun 24, 2017.

1. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jul 1, 2017

Our certificates don't lapse in NJ, but the PD requirement stays in effect. Nice because we don't have to pay to have our certs every two to three years, but the trade off is that NJDOE expects you to be ready to use that cert and be up to date at the same time. NJ also doesn't usually pay subs any differently, but some districts might pay a little more for a certificated teacher, especially if the length of assignment stretches past the 20 day limit. I don't know if being a certified teacher would remove that limit, but it would at least make it possible for the teacher to stay on as a long term sub/replacement as long as the certs matched up.

OR, some retired teachers simply can't stand to let their brains atrophy. Once a lifelong learner, always a lifelong learner.

2. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jul 6, 2017

I came back to find this thread because I am trying to remind myself that it's ok I haven't done anything for school other than earn tons of books by working the Scholastic sale for 4 days and move my classroom stuff into my new classroom - I didn't (and couldn't) set ANYTHING up - just dumped the stuff and left.

I moved this past weekend, which took a lot of work and energy, as you can imagine. I have two trips coming up in July, back to back. When I get back from those (July 20), I'll give myself a couple days off and then I'll have to jump headlong into work prep mode. I have PDs the week of August 1 and school starts the following week. Lots of planning and room prep to do.

I keep telling myself this is OK - this is actually a really busy summer (moving classrooms and homes, taking two trips), and I'm also recovering from a less than stellar year, so I'm feeling more like I need a break than I have in the past.

This isn't really how I planned it - I had originally intended to do some work this week...but it just didn't happen. I'm deciding that it's ok. I will have a TON to do at the end of this month, but I think I'll be more rested and ready for it then. Right? ;)

I'm so tired of the nagging feeling that I should be doing something! Argh!

Bunnie likes this.
  3. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Jul 6, 2017

I've now ordered two teacher books in preparation for back to school. I guess my period of relaxing and not thinking about school has expired... I'm still trying to keep it going but I can't help thinking about next year.

4. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jul 6, 2017

I'm gone for the next 2 weeks except for 1 day in between the two trips, so I'm kind of being forced to relax, I guess? I've been loading up my Kindle with leisure reading, but there are a couple school related books on there too in case the mood strikes.

5. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Jul 6, 2017

I went to my new classroom today to take stuff out of boxes. It's all on top of student desks now. I took home of student edition textbooks. We'll be on our beach trip in 2 weeks so next week I'll try to work on textbook problems. I basically have 3 weeks of off time before getting back to the nitty gritty!

6. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Jul 20, 2017

UPDATE: I still haven't done anything substantial for my new position. We'll be away at the beach next week (was supposed to be there this week but postponed til next) and then the next week starts in-service on Thursday! I keep asking myself why I've been so chill and relaxed the entire summer. It's like I'm purposely using up as much summer time for me and when it's time to really get serous, that's when I'll get back into work mode! My wife and kids have also commented that I'm not as snippy as I was last year.

Anybody still being lazy like me??

7. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jul 20, 2017

Actually, I am all for down time, but I'm not sure I could be quite so lazy with a new position on the line, especially since it seems like you are somewhat concerned about the number of preps. My in-service doesn't start until the end of August, but I do want to be totally school free the last two weeks of August. I have been busy this summer trying to fine tune some things, change others. I don't feel comfortable making tons of changes with my kids once the year is in full swing, so I would rather give up some summer time when I have the time to reflect on what I am considering.

As for being less snippy, you were stressing about finding a job, any job, and paying for a new car without a job. I would have been snippy too, in your shoes.

8. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jul 20, 2017

I just got back from vacation today, and I'll start working tomorrow, although probably not full days until Monday. I have all next week free but will be setting up my classroom and planning. The week after that, I have 3 days of PD and I'll spend time on my room and planning still. The following week are contract days and the first day with kids is August 10. I'll still take some time to relax here and there, but at this point, it's pretty much full steam ahead. It's a new job, so I have a lot to do. My one saving grace is that it's the grade level I've taught for 3 years. However, it's all new curriculum.