Feeling and acting lazy!!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Pi-R-Squared, Jun 24, 2017.

1. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Jun 24, 2017

These are the terms I'm applying to MYSELF! I nailed down a new position early June and the most I've done is bringing home teacher editions and lugging my crap into my new classroom. For those whose school year ended in May, have you been as "non-working" as I have? I know I should be working on planning out for 6 preps but I'm just chill-laxing to the point where the teacher in me would berate myself for being so lazy! I figure I'll get around to doing stuff, hopefully? ;)

nstructor likes this.
  3. AmyMyNamey

AmyMyNamey Comrade

Jun 24, 2017

Don't you know that you're supposed to work all summer, preparing for the coming school year?

Ignoring you health and family is how you prove your worth to society!

Myself, I'm learning that life is more and something to embrace. By the end of the year, I'm fairly tired of kids treating me like ****. Why would I want to pick up where they left off?

This is "ME" time, baby!

whizkid, anon55, nstructor and 2 others like this.
  4. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Jun 24, 2017

It is a phenomenon that I found too, only after becoming a teacher. As a sub, I used to say to myself how much time I will devote to the classroom beyond the contracted hours. I ALWAYS take stuff home with me (e.g. papers, prep materials). And I NEVER open up the bag. I swear, I don't know why I still bring stuff home. And the other thing I found--it always gets done in the end, because you're not trying to be lazy.

I just think the teacher's mind needs to recharge.

5. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Jun 24, 2017

Good for you! I've been away from home, but still, I've been very lazy!

I actually am reading a book! And sleeping eight hours! :eek:

Brains need time to recharge so you can give your best come August/September.

6. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Jun 24, 2017

I'm loving creating new things. An artist wants to paint, why would I be any different?

otterpop likes this.
  7. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Jun 24, 2017

What kind of things?

I keep saying I'll start a project... Just haven't gotten around to it. :)

I was thinking of starting up a shop on Etsy this summer, but it seems everything I think to make is already on their in plenty. On to the yet to be thought of "plan b".
    o

Last edited: Jun 24, 2017
  8. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 24, 2017

I'm still in school for another week,but plan to start practicing being lazy this afternoon!

Pi-R-Squared likes this.
  9. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Jun 24, 2017

I have done a few things for next year but other than that I have been LAZY.

10. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Jun 24, 2017

Mostly working on animating old photos and paintings with photoshop. It's a fun challenge but also something I can use in my classroom.

otterpop likes this.
  11. rpan

rpan Cohort

Jun 24, 2017

I write down a list of things I need to prep before school starts at the beginning of the break and then I only look at the list a couple of weeks before school starts to slowly get myself into work mode. I don't think about work in between, I think my brain needs the break. Never feel bad or guilty about taking a physical and mental break!! We have to remind ourselves more often that we deserve every single minute of the break.

yellowdaisies likes this.
  12. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jun 24, 2017

We work super hard during the school year. Enjoy some down time! It's okay. Soon enough you'll be crazy busy again.

yellowdaisies and otterpop like this.
  13. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jun 25, 2017

I don't do anything school related in the summers other than occasionally reading a professional book if I find something really interesting. My school/district is constantly changing things so it's pointless to "plan ahead." I have a new P and AP for next year and I have no clue what changes they're going to make, so I have an even better excuse to not do anything this summer.

Several years ago I was starting a new job and the P had given me the teacher's editions for the reading and math curriculum so that I could "do my planning." I looked through them, but I just felt there were too many unknowns (about the expectations of the school) to do any real preparation. I posted here and asked about it and many people told me I as being unprofessional, should be preparing for my new job, was going to be so lost at the beginning of the year, etc. I am SO glad I didn't listen. When I started the school year I found that the P wanted us to "be creative" and we weren't really allowed to use the curriculum as written at all. The district also put out a "curriculum map" that dictated when we taught which standards. Anything I would have done would have been a complete waste of time; I would have had to scrap every bit of it and start over.

ready2learn and MissScrimmage like this.
  14. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jun 25, 2017

This.

Anytime I made a change - grade level, position, etc. I spent some time in the summer getting the 'big picture' of my curriculum. Here, it means the provincial standards I needed to teach in that grade level. I figured out the topics for my science and social studies units and then I relaxed. I think teachers are always on the look out for helpful resources, so if I found a used book sale I would keep my eye out for books related to the curricular outcomes. I planned out my ideal classroom routines and practices, knowing full well that I may have to adapt once I actually met my students. But I did not do specific lesson planning, because everything changes when the students arrive!

I have five days left this year and have not done any school work this weekend. But I have a game plan for the week and will hit the ground running tomorrow morning!

MrsC likes this.
  15. LouiseB

LouiseB Cohort

Jun 25, 2017

I have been using this summer to do nothing but relax. It has been wonderful. I had to pack up my room at the end of last year and I know that my things are in the new room. However, I don't know if the carpet has been cleaned and other stuff (not mine) is also in the room. No use even going to work until I know it is ready to go. I agree with prior posts where you don't know what will be going on for the next year so not much planning. I usually can't do any planning until I see student schedules and they won't be ready for me for another month. On to more relaxing!!

nstructor likes this.
  16. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Jun 25, 2017

I'm anxious that I'm going to go back and so much will change too. We have a principal who likes to change things and doesn't really get much input before doing so. We had a meeting in the spring that went something like this:
    P: I'm thinking of changing curriculums and only want to spend the money if you guys want it. What do you think?
    Us: Actually we really like our current curriculum. We don't need a new one.
    Me: I've previously taught the suggested new curriculum and didn't like it for these specific reasons.
    P: Glad we had this talk! We'll be getting the new curriculum in the fall! :D
    Us: o_O:confused:

17. GPC0321

GPC0321 Companion

Jun 25, 2017

18. GPC0321

GPC0321 Companion

Jun 25, 2017

I'm 12 days into summer, and the laziness has been slowly creeping in. I have a lot of school stuff I want to get accomplished this summer as I'm revamping a lot of what I'm doing in my classes. I work on it pretty much every day, but it's becoming a little bit of a chore now, and I'm finding myself procrastinating and finding other things to do instead (Netflix. Nap. Reddit. Brainless romance novels.) I also have other "must do" chores because I have a 7 acre little farm with three horses, two dogs, and a cat. There's always something that needs to be done (for example, right now I need to go out and scrub and treat the fungus that is growing on one of my horse's hind legs).

I do think there needs to be a balance. I want to get the school work done while I have this time though, because doing so will make next year infinitely easier for me. If I push it off until we go back, I'll be working myself silly just to stay caught up.

So...I better go scrub the horse's legs and work on school stuff....

19. geoteacher

geoteacher Devotee

Jun 25, 2017

I am giving myself a chance to focus on me and my family , and if that means I am lazy, I don't care. I will be attending some professional development this next week, and I have a few other tasks that I plan to accomplish over the next two months, but that is really it. This is my time to recharge and focus on other priorities.

nstructor likes this.
  20. Geologygirl

Geologygirl Comrade

Jun 28, 2017

I do feel a bit lazy right now but, to be fair I have already completed a week of professional development, and a EL planning day. In July I have 2 more weeks of PD and also another planning day in Aug right before school... soooo I figure it all will balance out eventually. I had wanted to plan a end of term project for my new prep Astronomy and try my hand at making something for teachers-pay-teachers but so far it has not worked out. Also doing an online writing class which is fun.

21. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Jun 28, 2017

I want to try making something for TPT also. I've heard PowerPoint is a good way to do it.

22. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jun 29, 2017

Our last day of school was June 2nd. On June 3rd I went on a trip with my bf to Reno, Zion national park, Grand Canyon and Area 51. 10 days, we even camped and hunted. Then I came home and had 3 days to get ready for my 3 week trip to Hungary (we also visited Croatia). I'm still here, going home on July 8th. School is the last thing on my mind.
    When I get home, we'll go on another trip, maybe drive all the way up to Alaska, or some other place. On August 1-2nd I'll have 2 days training and then I'll get into teacher mode, and for a week I'll plan and figure things out, a few hours every day. But until then, the summer is mine ☺️

nstructor and yellowdaisies like this.
  23. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Jun 29, 2017

You are my role model!!! And probably everyone else's!! For me, I've been steadily going back to the gym and jogging, jogging, and more jogging!! I also downloaded an app called Happy Scale. My weight trend is heading downward and it keeps me inspired!

nstructor and Linguist92021 like this.
  24. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Jun 29, 2017

[QUOTE="Geologygirl, post: 2034992, member: 54288"I had wanted to plan a end of term project for my new prep Astronomy and try my hand at making something for teachers-pay-teachers but so far it has not worked out. [/QUOTE]

Why not just make something great for your students and share it with other teachers so their students can benefit as well?

25. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jun 29, 2017

I'm lazyish, but not totally disconnected from what I need to plan for next year. I am finishing up my last two grad classes, searching for teaching resources, and rewriting some lesson plans. I will be gone for the last couple of weeks in August, and there will be little school thought at that point, although I will always be searching for free resources for the thread. I have seen some wonderful lesson plans that I would like to modify to meet the needs of my students, and it is not as intimidating when you can see what others have done to use as an outline.

My ongoing relaxation activity is coaxing difficult seeds to germinate. I have often told my family that seeds make me happy - they are little packages of the unknown and you don't have to wait until a special occasion to "open" them. No two seeds are ever identical, and only natural selection can decide which differences matter, and which ones don't. This summer is all about redbud trees - there are so many varieties, and since I am originally from the Midwest, it is the true harbinger of spring for me. So far I have been fairly successful in growing the seedlings, so my yard will be awash in pink blooms come next spring. Even when I am relaxing with my hands in potting soil, I am kind of trying to build a lesson about seeds for next year. You can approach it as DNA, natural selections, the embryo within the seed, providing the right resources for a seed to germinate, and, patience. Since most of my students are short on patience, I have to find a way to guide them through this as nature takes its own sweet course. For me, this is lazy.

I noted Rockguykev's comment, and I, too, hope that teachers will share, but know that TPT is somewhat about the money. Wouldn't it be cool if we could collaborate on some lessons or projects? I would be game - working with others gets the creative juices flowing. Rockguykev, you are an inspiration!

Last edited: Jun 29, 2017
  26. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Jun 29, 2017

Today is my first day of vacation and I'm doing absolutely nothing exciting! Lol I've literally been catching up on sleep and applying to schools. Currently waiting for some baked goods to be done in the oven. May organize my room a little later and start reading my first book of the summer for pleasure.

nstructor likes this.
  27. Kat.

Kat. Companion

Jun 29, 2017

June 2nd was my last day. I had PD starting the 3rd and had about 7 total days of PD since then. Last Friday was my last PD for the summer, so now I'm in lazy mode.

I do hop onto Pinterest pretty often to give myself ideas - especially with this being my first year starting the year off as the classroom teacher. I'm pretty nervous about it, but I'm allowing myself at least a few weeks of laziness before I get too worked up!

28. whizkid

whizkid Groupie

Jun 29, 2017

Preach, preach!

29. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jun 29, 2017

Between PD, teaching ESY, and an early start to the school year due to starting before Labor Day for the first time, my summer break amounts to a four day weekend starting July 1, and the second week in August. I'm taking this weekend to rest up, I'll do some curriculum stuff in August. It's your vacation time, use it in the way that works best for you.

30. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Jun 29, 2017

All you guys saying you're doing PD, is it required or optional for you?

31. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jun 29, 2017

Technically, it's all optional for me, but it's very strongly encouraged. And I receive stipends for attending most of it. I have my expenses covered for the rest.

32. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jun 29, 2017

We are required to do 4 days each summer. They count as contract days for the following school year. We are required 10 days a year, but only 6 days are scheduled between the week before the students come and throughout the year.

33. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jun 30, 2017

I'm doing a three-day seminar right now (today's the last day!) It's not required, but I'd look bad if I didn't do it. I'm doing a mentoring course because I'm going to be surrounded by a new team this year. Not required, but I can earn a $900 stipend for being a mentor. Then I'm spending 40 hours on summer curriculum development. Not required, but I earn my per diem for doing it.

34. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jun 30, 2017

PD is considered optional as far as the district is concerned, but we have to have at least 20 hours per year to be in compliance with NJ DOE requirements. We can only get about half of that during the school year. If I choose the PD, I can concentrate on what I want or need to know, as opposed to being forced to endure things that are totally irrelevant to me. I'm usually trying to find a conference that school will pay for somewhere where I want to be - win/win. I always feel like I should also stay on top of my ESL certification and attend PD for that, too, because I think it is a case of use it or lose it. Besides, when temperatures rise, some time learning in A/C sounds pretty good. Lots of low cost options available, and then I don't worry about it during the school year.

35. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 30, 2017

PD here is completely optional. I have registered for a 2-day assessment workshop that my board is facilitating mid-August. I've heard good things about the Keynote Speaker, and some of the breakout sessions look interesting. It's free, so I have nothing to lose.

36. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Jun 30, 2017

For license renewal, in my state, one route is to teach 3 full years in 5 years time AND obtain 50 hours of PD. Lucky for us, our in-service time spent when everyone from the district shows up for whatever counts towards hours of PD. Over this summer, I've earned 27 PD hours and I just got my license renewed so I'm ahead of the game. And, in these PD sessions, there were retired teachers attending just to accumulate PD hours. Retired teachers need 100 PD hours in 5 years time.

37. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jun 30, 2017

Why would retired teachers need to renew their license?

38. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Jun 30, 2017

One told me that she didn't want her's to lapse. That she worked too hard to just let it expire. So she didn't have to. Just never know what the future holds. Plus, the summer PD hours are free.

39. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jun 30, 2017

Maybe because the economy could one day dictate going back into the classroom? My supervisor "retired" from a public school district, and is now working in a private school. He said that being retired was going to drive him to drink, so now he drives to work everyday instead. :rolleyes:

40. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jul 1, 2017

Many of our retired teachers substitute teach, and licensed teachers get paid more to sub.

41. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jul 1, 2017

I see. That's all different than in my state. All subs - fully certified or not - are paid the same, based on the position they fill. We also have lifetime certificates here that do not require annual PD, unless you're at the beginning of your career. PD is waived once you have more than 10 years experience, the next higher degree than the one you started with, or if you are a NBCT. Retired teachers just have no reason to do PD here.