Feeling alone this year

Discussion in 'General Education' started by MATgrad, Oct 16, 2010.

1. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Oct 16, 2010

My role at my school has changed. I'm a team leader this year. Great for me professionally. This is after all only my 4th year teaching but very isolating. My P changed a lot of stuff this year. Its all been for the better but I'm finding that people that used to speak to me no longer do. I've noticed that when I walk in a room the atmosphere changes. It's not though I'm an AP or something. I'm still a teacher. For those of you out there who have those additional responsibilities, do you experience this too or I am just being silly?

3. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Oct 16, 2010

I do know what you are talking about. There was a shift at our school too, the past couple of years; and I ended up on the side of the admin. I also don't have any real power or anything, just asked to be lead (which is pretty arbitrary at our school typically) and help with certain committees, however, my opinion is asked for often. It doesn't help that I've become really good friends with the admin either.

I know what you're talking about in feeling alone. But when I think about it I would rather be where I am now, have the respect from my admin and be talked about by other teachers, than have lots of teacher friends at the school and have to be negative to be allowed in their "club"-you know?

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Oct 16, 2010

It does tend to happen, especially when changes are being made. Teachers don't want you running to the admin with their negative attitudes.

When my school initiates a change, we put up a parking lot in the lounge for teachers to write thoughts, comments, criticisms of the new idea. It has helped us to fine-tune our ideas and get most of the staff behind it!

5. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Oct 16, 2010

Kinder, I hear you on the negative club. I eat lunch in my classroom because I just don't want to hear it. I'm known for being "little Miss Perky" and that's fine with me. One of my admins is someone that I used to teach with so I do feel comfortable with him. I'm not a kiss-up. I don't seek out my P to just randomly talk like many of the teachers do at my school. I actually kind of avoid the P. I actually do have to make decisions though and my admin has told me that whatever I decided he was fine with. It's nice to know though that it's not just me.

6. Kate Change

Kate Change Companion

Oct 16, 2010

Any time some one sees you as having some authority, they'll treat you differently. In away, it's a smart thing for them to do. People complain sometimes and they probably don't want their complaints spread around, so they're being careful because you have a bit of authority now.

7. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Oct 17, 2010

Things must be different outside of my county. A department chair does not hold any authority here. Or, if they do, it isn't enough that I've noticed it, lol. Here department chairs have additional responsibilities, not authority.

8. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Oct 17, 2010

It's thought of as just a lot more paperwork for $20 a month pay increase at my school. My grade level takes turns so no one begins to see themselves as more important. And we all help out with all of it anyway. But someone has to sit in a the "leadership" meetings... and someone has to be the person who hands in the team's various detritus...

9. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Oct 17, 2010

It gets awkward at first, but you get over it. I remember it was weird being the supervisor of the History Department, most of whom are my close friends. It got even weirder when I was made AP and the supervisor of all the teachers. I've adjusted though. It takes time, but remind them that you are always a teacher, first and foremost.

10. Major

Major Connoisseur

Oct 17, 2010

Being a "leader" is different than being a "follower." Be a strong leader and the followers will respect you.

Leading the pack is much better than being "in the pack."

:hugs:

11. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Oct 17, 2010

Major's response reminded me of an article that appeared in Teacher Magazine over the summer. I saved it because I thought it was something I would refer back to. It was secrets of surviving being an educator and this was one of the lessons:

"Lesson four: Understand that there are people out there who are content to be mediocre. When I first came to a public school after 12 years of teaching in a private school, I jumped in with both feet and got involved in as many leadership positions as I could. While many of my new colleagues were supportive, others were a little judgmental and critical. I went to a trusted administrator about it, and she told me, “If you step out in front, there will always be people who try to shoot you down.” Step out anyway. "

12. Major

Major Connoisseur

Oct 17, 2010

Love it Kinder........ Unfortunately, there are too many people content to be mediocre...... And I certainly believe in "step out anyway."

:hugs:

13. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Oct 18, 2010

I guess that being a reg. classroom teacher could lead to mediocrity but I never thought of it that way. I did the MSed in
    Adm. but decided I liked working with kids better. And I have never been in a large school where there was anything but the P or BRT. I guess I might be the county leader in PE as I do many things the others don't do. Having seen many mediocre leaders it would seem almost anyone could jump that direction.
    Many think that is where people go just for the $$ or because they cannot handle the classroom. just stirring it a little

14. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Oct 18, 2010

Stirring it a lot! :) :) :)