Feeling a little overwhelmed with writing

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by lnewbigging, Nov 10, 2006.

1. lnewbigging

lnewbigging Companion

Nov 10, 2006

I am a first year teacher and I am teaching writing in a grade three classroom. I want my students to go through the writing process, ( pre-writing, drafting, editing, revising, and publishing) but I am unsure of how much I should intervene and how much I should just let them go. I want them to be able to write anything they want and to be real writers, but I also want them to grow and improve as writers.

My question is how do you conduct your writer's workshop? If you use 6 traits, how do you teach them the traits and how do you make sure they are using them in their writing? how do you start the year (I know it's November, but I started in October (mat leave position):) )

I have read Lucy Calkins the Art of Teaching Writing, and 6+1 traits for primary classrooms, but these are not as step by step practical as I need hem to be.

Thanks in advance for your help

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 10, 2006

The 'Units of Study' by Lucy Calkins are great. Have you seen those?

4. lnewbigging

lnewbigging Companion

Nov 10, 2006

Yes, but our school does not have access to them or the budget to buy them. :(

5. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Nov 10, 2006

Check out the Four Blocks Minilessons for Writer's Workshop. I'm using it in first grade and I love it. They have it for different grade levels.

6. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Nov 10, 2006

I had similar struggles with my 2nd graders... I use the 6 traits book lessons - using the read alouds and such.

Another teacher who is known gave me some tips and resources - in a word. WEBS. Teach them, use them, show the kids how to use them and make their own. Since I've started using webs, the kids writing has improved remarkably. Developmentally, organization is the hardest thing for these kiddos to do. Mastering the use of a web really helps give them confidence to write.

7. Teach2Inspire

Teach2Inspire Comrade

Nov 10, 2006

This my second year teaching 5th grade and my biggest struggle is writing. When I grade their writing, should I only focus on one concept when grading, such as spelling, punctuation, and grammar on one writing sample and content on another? Also, when they are editing it with me, should I correct every error on their paper and have them rewrite, or should I just give them a check list and have them find their errors then rewrite? Right now we are using Step Up to Writing and following graphic organizers. I have taught them how to use the graphic organizers and the color coding that goes along with it and how to use this graphic organizer to write a complete paragraph. Should I allow students to add information that is not on their graphic organizer or should I keep the writing structured? Sometimes the students tend to go off topic when they start adding more information. Sorry for so many question, writing was not one of my strongest areas throughout school.:eek:

8. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Nov 10, 2006

I also use these. I have them for grades 1 and 2 but they have them all the way up to the intermediate grades. It gives you mini lesson ideas for the beginning, middle, and end of the grade. I went through my books and determined what months I would like to cover each mini lesson. You then build on the previous mini lessons. It also gives you different suggestions and/or ways to do the mini lesson instead of just one way.

9. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Nov 11, 2006

I have grade 5. I don't correct anything on the final copy. The kids are responsible for their own editing. They have various rubrics to use as well as mini-posters on topics such as vivid verbs, types of leads, transition words, etc. I grade them on anything they have already been taught, including grammar, punctuation, organization, and the traits found in Six Traits.

10. hojalata

hojalata Comrade

Nov 11, 2006

Don't correct everything in their paper. If the focus of your lesson/project was organization, correct organization. If the focus was on conventions when you were modeling, correct the conventions.

11. Teach2Inspire

Teach2Inspire Comrade

Nov 11, 2006

Thanks for responding to my questions Upsadaisy and hojalata. :) Do you only model one writing sample with the students before you grade one that they have completed?

12. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Nov 11, 2006

Modeling is probably my weakest area. I'm lucky to model one. They take a couple of weeks to finish one piece of writing and I don't grade it until it's in final draft form.