Feeling a little discouraged I guess

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Bunnie, Jun 21, 2014.

1. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Jun 21, 2014

Ok, so first I wanted to say that I absolutely love this board. I don't think my friends and family truly can understand what it's like to job hunt in the teaching field and how competitive it is. So it's nice to have a supporting family here that gets it.

So here's a bit more background on the situation I'm facing on my journey. I've been job hunting for a year. It gets tiring after a while, a roller coaster of hope and then rejection. This year I had decided to target my search on private and charter schools because there was a hiring freeze on my license in THE NYC DOE. Also this year I had to upgrade my license because my initial one was due to expire. The state also changed requirements for licensing so I had to take an additional workshop, plus I had to send in a bunch of paperwork to the state and wait for it to get approved. It was a grueling 2 month process from April til the beginning of June but everything was finally cleared.

In the meantime I had 4 actual interviews (3 with demos) set up and about 3-4 phone screening interviews that I didn't make to the next round. I had applied to the NYC DOE hoping they would lift the hiring freeze on my cert. They finally did on 6/10. I was so excited! I started to send out my résumé to principals this week hoping to score some interviews and I did get one. However, I've received a few responses saying that they have already conducted interviews and hired candidates for the next school year already but if something opens up over the summer they will keep me in mind.

I mean it's only been a week that it's been public knowledge that they can hire outside candidates after not being able to for 5 years! I get that they probably filled the positions with internal candidates but still. Ugh. It's just discouraging. I'm trying to remain positive and I'm hoping to score some interviews and demos before school ends on the 26th.

I just wish the market wasn't so competitive. I have quite a few friends prob around 10-15 that work in the NYC DOE and only 2 have tried to offer to help me get a job. I've networked with people and talk to teachers about maybe helping me and nothing. I don't feel it's hopeless to land a job but I think it's going to be a long hard summer looking. Usually they have had job fairs in the past in July and August but last year I was only invited to one on August 27th so I'm not relying on that. I'm not being super picky about where I work with the exception of Staten Island and anywhere that not within 10 blocks of a subway.

I guess I just wanted to vent. I also went to 2 charter school job fairs and that was mostly a waste of time since there were no principals present. I just want to teach, is that too much to ask? Sigh:(

3. DressageLady

DressageLady Comrade

Jun 21, 2014

I understand your frustration. You would think that there would be a better system in place for hiring teachers, right?

Just keep doing what you can, and don't give up. It took me over a year to get a teaching position. And I applied for a lot of openings in that time! My best advice is to tighten your resume and cover letter as much as possible, apply where you can and prepare for the interviews and demos as much as possible. Then move on to the next batch of applications and preparation immediately. I know all too well how easy it is to fall into the "What Did They Mean" game with interviews. We try to parse every single word and inflection, every glance and smile. But it will make you crazy, so just do the best you can and move on.

Family and friends don't understand how horrible this process can be. Even some teachers have no idea how rough it is, since they got hired at their first interview. Or whatever crazy circumstance it was that made them miss out on the torture of apply-interview-rejection cycles. Or, worse yet, apply-not-even-get-an-interview cycles!

Just hang in there and keep trying. Use each interview as a learning experience, so you're ready to nail the next one. Critique each interview and improve your answers. I kept a notebook in the car and I would write down the questions I was asked and my answers as soon as I got out of the building. It helped me identify where my answers were weak and I was able to kind of retool what I was doing. Each interview got better for me this year.

Hugs to you and good luck! Don't give up!!!!!
    Sheilah

4. jforegolf

jforegolf Rookie

Jun 22, 2014

Look on www.nysais.org. They have many private school jobs in and around New York City. Jobs around New York are so tough to come by. My school gets hundreds of resumes for each job and it is a small private school that has an excellent reputation. It's tough but keep trying!

The NYC doe is not really where your best options are. They have tons of teachers who need to be placed before you'd even get a chance.

5. MissD59

MissD59 Comrade

Jun 22, 2014

:hugs: Keep sending those resumes out there. Isn't the last day for teachers to retire in NYC the last day of June? There will definitely be openings after then and new positions to fill.

You know I'm still interviewing, so don't stress me out about them filling all the positions already! ;) I really think the best way to go is to just send those resumes out there blind. I did a mass mailing of my resume via paper, and I have gotten a lot of responses from that.

Three of my friends who work for the DOE now got hired in July, so trust me, there is still hope. I know that it sucks to keep job searching in the summer, but you know as well as I do that a lot of last minute hiring happens in the summer. Just keep that head up and keep going. I know we all need to vent, but allow yourself a day to wallow and then move forward and get a move on applying some more.

When is the last time you posted your resume/cover letter? Does it need updating, you think?

6. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Jun 22, 2014

I've applied to a bunch and only had an interview at one private school. :(

7. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Jun 22, 2014

Haha I don't don't mean to stress you out at all! :p I know I a lot of last minute openings happen but last summer there weren't many. Last year I didn't start looking until July because I couldn't take days off at my old job so I felt at a disadvantage. So now that July is approaching I'm starting to feel some anxiety over the whole process.

I've retooled my cover letter a bunch of times in the past year to reflect my own personal changes as well as me having researched what so many schools are looking for (which really is the same things almost). I've gotten interviews throughout the year so I'm not too worried about it.

One email I received last night from a principal stated my cover letter and résumé sound interesting to him and to reach out and keep in touch over the summer because for now all positions have been filled and things might change.

I think many teachers that want to retire are waiting for that $1,000 bonus check for the contract signing bonus they are supposed to get on the last day of school. So I anticipate that on June 26 when the check is handed to them many resignation letters will be going in.

I feel kinda desperate and I hate feeling that way but I will literally take any job that will hire me. If I don't get a job I will have to give up my apartment and move out to Suffolk county to my brothers to figure out my life and well that's not helpful because I don't have a license so there's not much I can do out there. Can you tell I'm super stressed?

Ok now that I got that all out I'm going to send out resumes until noon today and then try and enjoy the rest of this beautiful Sunday doing something!

8. lionvirion

lionvirion Rookie

Jun 22, 2014

Apply at Success Academy. They're hiring, it's worth a shot! They pay well.

9. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Jun 22, 2014

I've heard horrible things about that charter network terms of the amount of hours you work and the life/work balance. The same with Achievement First. I want a job but i don't want to walk into one that I already know will suck the life outta me!

I sent out over 100 resumes this weekend with plans on sending more throughout the week. So I'm hoping to receive some call backs within the next 2weeks or so. If not I can try success academy.

10. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Jun 22, 2014

I remember well how demoralizing the job search can be, so I don't fault you at all for getting a bit down. Also, sometime in the next month, hiring will slow down a lot. Try not to panic, there is more hiring to come in the couple of weeks before school starts. If you are still looking, you will be really stressed, so take some comfort in knowing administrators with unexpected openings are stressing out as well.

11. sunshine24

sunshine24 Comrade

Jun 22, 2014

I totally feel you, Bunnie. I, too, am job searching in NYC and am trying to get into the DOE. I have been a DOE sub for the last 3 years and have been job searching for 4. Despite having my Spec Ed license and being told there was no freeze on it, I still have not had any luck and have come to realize that all licenses have had a freeze, whether officially stated or not.

I certainly feel your frustration. I am constantly sending out resumes to principals, whether emailing, walking into the school, or snail-mailing. And I feel like it is for nothing. I have been told by some teachers that principals already know who they will be hiring long before a job is even posted. The posting is just a formality for the budget.

I was thinking that some teachers may hand in resignation letters after Thursday as well, but I am not putting much hope in that. I am seriously starting to doubt if I will ever land a job. The responses to my inquiries and calls for interviews are far and few between. Everyone says to stay strong through the summer because hiring does happen, but I have yet to hear of it happening to anyone I know. I know it's tough, but for now, I guess we just have to hang in there and keep at it with sending out the resumes. I do not know what I will be doing come September if I do not have a teaching job.

Good Luck in your search this summer :)

12. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Jun 22, 2014

Honestly most positions don't ever get posted. Last summer I was on the New Teacher finder hoping jobs would be posted and very rarely were they.

This year I stumbled upon the job board post on the TC website schools post on there but not the New Teacher finder.

I would say don't limit yourself in terms of location. I didn't even bother applying to the 2 top rated districts because I know everyone wants to work in them.

Either way good luck in your search as well, I think you have a better chance with a sped cert too.

13. CreativeTeachR

CreativeTeachR Companion

Jun 22, 2014

I feel the same way :( hours and hours looking up jobs and applying to them! I can't sleep I can't eat :dizzy::unsure: I don't know if I am coming or going... this will be my 3rd summer in a row moving I'm exhausted mentally, physically and emotionally:dizzy: I have been in this same job boat for 5 years!!! This is not living this is a total utter nightmare that I want to wake up from :( I hate that in most cases it's who you know not what you know... I am trying to stay positive but its not easy.

14. 32Flavors

32Flavors Rookie

Jun 23, 2014

Have you tried applying to schools in the Archdiocese of New York? http://www.adnyeducation.org/careers/teacher-requirements/

You don't have to be Catholic to teach there. You can submit the application and also send your cover letter/resume to individual schools that you are interested in. Can't hurt.

Best of luck!

15. MissD59

MissD59 Comrade

Jun 23, 2014

Isn't the starting salary for elementary school teachers ridiculously low though? As in, not even remotely a livable wage for the NY metro area?

16. 32Flavors

32Flavors Rookie

Jun 23, 2014

I think I made about $44,000 my first year when I worked for them. That was the first step of the pay scale for a teacher with a bachelors and certification. The pay scale doesn't go up nearly as high as the public school scale but I think that is definitely livable. And of course you get paid more based on education, certification, years there. When I finished working there, I was on the 5th step of the bachelors + 15 and I was making slightly under $50,000. Again, not ideal but definitely livable.

17. MissD59

MissD59 Comrade

Jun 23, 2014

That's not as bad as Long Island. I've seen Catholic elementary schools on Long Island start around $30,000.

18. 32Flavors

32Flavors Rookie

Jun 23, 2014

:eek: wow, I didn't know it was so low there.