Feeling A Bit Down

Discussion in 'Paraprofessionals' started by toiatoi, Aug 13, 2014.

1. toiatoi

toiatoi Rookie

Aug 13, 2014

Hi everyone!

For years I have had dreams of being a teacher. Where I live, they do not have night classes for education. I tried going to school online, but I need hands on instruction, not constantly just writing in message boards.

Fast forward, I quit my full-time job and became a para. I love my job! I love the teacher I work with and I just love being in the school environment.

Here is where I am feeling down. I see many great teachers who are subs that do not get contracts. I feel once I finish school, how realistic is it that I'll even get a teaching contract? It's my dream and I won't give up, but I just keep thinking about the fact that there are AMAZING teachers that have only been able to get subbing jobs for years (one teacher it took her over 10 years and she still doesn't have a contract, just doing long-term subbing).

Has anyone been in a similar situation? Like I said previously, I love what I'm doing now, but it is not in my plan to stay in this job forever. Hopefully some of your personal stories will give me hope!

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 13, 2014

STATE COLLEGE, PA Has NO classes that work with your schedule?

4. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Aug 13, 2014

The key is being flexible. Be flexible in what you become certified in, be flexible where you apply to teach (even if it is in another state).

Don't get to caught up in a "dream" district. If that is what is meant to happen, it will. But if you only apply to those type of districts then you won't really have a chance at a place that may be hiring, when your dream district may not.

Be flexible how you train to teach, though make sure you get to student teach!

Good luck

5. toiatoi

toiatoi Rookie

Aug 13, 2014

I was talking about with my previous job. That's why I said fast forward I quit my job to become a para so I'd be able to go to school :)

6. toiatoi

toiatoi Rookie

Aug 13, 2014

Thank you for the reply! It would be difficult to relocate due to my husband's job and our two kids. That's why I'm hoping I get a job in the district where we live. I think I'm just having one of those weeks where everything is going wrong and everything seems impossible. But I definitely see what you mean. Thank you for the advice.

7. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Aug 14, 2014

My advice is to get your credential in a high needs field such as SPED or math or science. My degree is in English, but there were no jobs for new English teachers in my district when I went back to school. I discovered that I love teaching special education. I not only get to teach English, but I get to teach a variety of subjects. It's really fun and challenging so I'm never bored!

8. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 14, 2014

I think you have an advantage over the subs. By working as a para, you are establishing yourself in the district. Also, depending on district regulations, you could possibly be considered internal when applying for teaching jobs.

9. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Aug 14, 2014

Just an observation - if your dream district or only location your family wants to live is smack dab in the middle of a college town, you may be setting yourself up for disappointment. On the other hand, if you realize that in all likelihood you will be moving on to greener pastures once your education is finished, you may well find that your experience is highly beneficial. I find it hard to get really excited about the chances of finding a job in the dream district when you are placing severe limitations on your potential opportunities. Maybe I am just having a down week of my own, but realistically if feels like you may be setting yourself up for potential frustration. Here's hoping that I am WAY off base and all ends exactly as you desire.